Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mysterious Structure on Garage Roof « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed this on top of the garage next to the National Theater? All it seems to be is the roof structure to the up and down ramps. But, at first glance it looks like an incomplete ramp to additional levels that were never built. Either that , or it's a jump for Grand Theft Auto.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with so many garages in that immediate area, and numerous surface lots, surely it can't be for more parking. definitely for grand theft auto. :-)

seriously, though, i wonder how high it can go? looks like someone was thinking ahead.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a butt ugly parking garage is all I know.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pill box for machine guns?

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second that. That garage is so ugly. If I'm looking out at it from any of those shops in Compuware I always wish that they'd at least put some artwork on the blank rectangular areas.

Verizon. It's the network.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna defend this parking lot since it can't defend itself here. This parking lot was a head of its time. At least it had the sense to include retail on the ground floor. What a forward-thinking idea since that's what everybody wants with new parking structures today.

I'll admit that its showing its age, but I think it's held up its outside appearance well. I like the plain white surface with the etched in lines. The one thing that I don't like about it is the overhang over the sidewalk. This was a popular idea back in the day when these parking decks were built(remember the old Opera House garage?), but it's not needed today.

BTW, this structure is surely over 25 years old. I remember someone saying that a parking garage is good for that period of time before it needs to be replaced. Well, for those of you who don't like it, maybe you get a new garage soon.

(Message edited by royce on February 24, 2007)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,
You're right about the ground floor retail. The garage, its developers and owners get a little bit of credit for that. It still is the ugliest garage in the CBD, IMHO. It looks like a piece of crap across from the Compuware garage.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That structure was built between 1952 and 1956 as seen on the CUMA DTE Photos
http://tools.comm.wayne.edu/me dia/low_res/aerial_photos/inde x.htm

I would say it has lived well past a 25 year cycle. Like 2X!

It is possible, during construction, it was decided that it wasn't sound enough to support additional levels.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my armchair hypothesis is this:

those structures were completely intentional, while it may not look it.

these things serve as roof cover for the ramps coming up to the existing deck, but in making them it would not have made sense money wise to make new concrete molds for forms specific to supporting those roofs, so they used the forms and construction techniques they had already used in building the modules of the ramp up from the ground.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I fist saw the pic I thought it was the old ramps at Cobo roof.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It reminded me of the original Cobo ramp as well.

Thanks for the theory Gravity it makes sense.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or perhaps they built them that way incase they wanted to expand the structure?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God bless the City Slicker.

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed - God Bless the City
Slicker - the best place on the planet to purchase multi-colored gators!
Erob

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 861
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost certainly an Insane Jump Bonus location.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.