Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hudsons Block « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Hudsons Block designed to support a building on top of it? Hope it isnt going to be another parking structure one day.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it already is a parking structure, actually.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know it is but i am talking about ABOVE ground development....

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it is made to support a structure

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it could only hold a building 14 stories high. I may be wrong, but I think thats it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone please find the thread that this was discussed in. It's been discussed countless times.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You long timers have can say that about most any thread

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if ur gonna be an ass Lmich, find the thread yourself. Were not your minions

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 488
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a quick search, I couldn't find anything. If you want to do more in depth stuff, be my guest, but I'm not looking.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with the search? It's nowhere near as effective as it used to be, it seems.

Anyway, Fareastsider, see if this helps:

http://www.walkerparking.com/p ortfolio/hudson.html

The Premier Garage is capable of supporting an 18-story building spread over the entire block, I believe.

Here are some photos of the construction of the garage:

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/db a/currentproj-premier.htm

Scs100

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know about the info. As for the search, I typed Hudsons+DetroitYes+Discussion. Something along the lines of that.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5152
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was asking it rhetorically, because it's changed, and not for the better.

Scs100

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that it was rhetorical, but I felt like providing what I searched in the unlikely chance that anyone wanted to search as well.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can be retrofitted to fit a taller building, right?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a pretty lengthy discussion on the block from last february, including a lot of concept pictures done by KDG.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/66450.html

By the way, for the "long timers" who remember these threads but cant find them, or the newer members looking for old info, make sure to try switching to search in the archives, not just the discuss detroit. I found this and a few other threads by searching for "hudson's block" in the Archives-Beginning January 2006

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5154
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rbdetsport, check out the links I posted.

Andy, thanks for the search tip! Though, it still seems to the search still has nowhere near the amount of options it once had.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 23, 2007)

Scs100

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14-18 stories is plenty for that spot. The scale of Lower Woodward and Campus Martius is a human/intimate one and is in large part what make CM work as well as it does.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you guys want to see one huge block built, or a collection of buildings? Some 6 to 10 story buildings, maybe 3 or 4 of them on the Woodward side.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18 story buildings at the north end, smaller as it gets closer to CMP.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Split it up like this-

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/WoodwardBl ock.jpg

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 866
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., is quoted in the Feb. 18 Freep about the Hudson's block: "What we will do is, of course, continue to market the site to a large user. We don't want a lot of little projects on that site. That is a prime site, and it would have to be major retail or a corporate headquarters."

I think he'll be waiting for a long time, holding out for that.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 866
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that plan Rbdetsport. I would like the buildings or building that is to be built on the site to have an old facade as to blend in with the rest of the avenue. I think a brick or terra cotta facade would be nicest. They should be high quality buildings.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is up with the Jz_Detroit and Mcnamara on that thread? Has anyone talked to them about whether they know more?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OliverDouglas, after walking around today, I concluded there would be nothing wrong with the Compuware Building being twice as tall. When you're close by, it creates a nice sense of enclosure, but from a couple blocks away, it leaves a lot to be desired. How cool would the skyline be if the Hudson's or Monroe block contained the city's tallest building? Imagine a spire rising above the rest of skyline, from the center of the CBD.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 201
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I definitely would love to see the city's tallest rising on the Monroe Block. In addition to the effect on the skyline, I think that from CM it would make an awesome contrast with the 200 and 300 foot buildings surrounding the park, kind of like the RCA Building viewed from Rockefeller plaza.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The downside is we'd probably have to wait 10-15 years minimum to even start talking about it. Something tells me that someone will come along with an offer to make another one kennedy square and the city will bite. As much as having a parking lot there is a disgrace, I kind of want the city to wait on more demand. Housing demand will keep being strong, but we need to build some more office demand too.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think that is an important spot in the city. I think it would be better to wait a few years and have something nice than to get something bad sooner. In the long run it would be better.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.