Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Walgreen's at 7 & Gratiot To Close « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just took my parents to Seven Mile and Gratiot to show them all of the additional retail buildings they have built. She had to stop in at Walgreen's. When she came out she said the store had signs saying it's going to close at the end of February.

This doesn't bode well for the new development there since Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, and CVS tend to act as the anchors for these kinds of strip malls. I can only wonder as to why they are closing. Anybody hear anything?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a CVS store on Lappin, very near the Walgreen's?

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i work for walgreens... just not that one, but i will try to find out.

i do know that drug stores in detroit have many shrink issues and safety threats

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not surprised. The new Kroger store next to Walgreen's didn't even last two years.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my way home from playing softball in Eastpointe, I was asked to be a mystery shopper at a couple of Krogers for a few weeks. One was in GP, which was spotlessly clean, and the other was the one on Lappin. The latter had obvious grazing and evidence of shrinkage in several aisles--ripped open boxes, bites taken out of some food items, items missing, etc. It was also very messy and dirty here and there.

One time, there were three full 5-foot high stacked pallets totally blocking the middle of the baby-food aisle, meaning that one could not go further than half way through from either end. I came about 2 PM that day, so the overnight stockers must have just left them there and went home several hours earlier. The employees there were OK or great, though, except those at the "fresh fish" department which stunk up anything within 25 yards. I assumed it was the fish.

But that was the manager's overall responsibility. Every time I went there over a period of a few weeks, the fresh fish stunk...

Krogers trained their trainee "suits" there for other stores, so they had to know about the problems there but apparently didn't care. Or at least until it was closed and some lost their jobs. I knew better about the place and didn't shop there.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 22, 2007)

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that this particular Walgreen's is closing--but these businesses operate in the real world. Building, opening and operating a store like this costs $ and these companies don't take the step of closing a location lightly. My only guess is that the problems which have plagued others south of 8 (Kmart, Kroger) have dogged this Walgreen's location also. Unfortunately, if these 'issues' (particularly shrink) aren't addressed in some meaningful way, attracting retail to the city will continue to be a challenge. No doubt future in-city locations will get extra-scrutiny thanks to this location's failure.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have alot of different retail customers. Their stores in Detroit have huge problems from internal theft to external theft. Product walks out the door like crazy. But I think this happens in every major city, not just Detroit.

Stores cannot survive in the inner cities unless they have major loss prevention procedures in place.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5571
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good! Tear the building down and build a big old parking lot for those newer retail stores behind it.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is shrinkage? Is that when the store goes swimming in a really cold pool?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4862
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shrinkage example.
You stock a case of 24 cans of Chicken Noodle Soup on the soup shelf. Two weeks later, you've got 15 cans on the shelf, and you've sold 5.
4 cans of soup went home in somebody's pants.

End of shrinkage example. Any questions?

jjaba.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 861
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a friend who works in an inner city cvs as a manager.

finding employees is extremly difficult, he knows some of them are stealing, but cannot do anything about them because of fear as many of them have gang connections which they set up deals with their buddies.

shrink in detroit is a huge problem, just like other cities, but the problem in detroit is that the justice system is so backed up that there is no fear of being caught.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, I'm sure Jerome's remark was a joke relating to penis shrinkage due to low temps. Seemed pretty obvious to me. Test it yourself on some sausage sometime...

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confident the Chaldean's will reopen the store as a dollar store like Family Dollar. They did that to a Rite-Aid at Seven Mile and Hubbell. The building's too new to just rot and stay vacant.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a dollar store just a block away and a Family Dollar a half mile up Gratiot. Detroit has too many dollar, beauty supply, party and cell phone stores, but I'll bet that building becomes one of the above.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's already closed. That area has been under demise ever since Kroger left.

I live over in this area. Also, there a CVS on 7 Mile and Schoenherr (horrible service) and one at 8 Mile and Gratiot (decent). However, Walgreens has a location on Mack and Moross, 8 Mile and Kelly, and 10 Mile and Gratiot. Only two chain clothing stores have moved over there, and that's Rainbow and Simply Fashions. Personally, I think if Kroger would have did something with the old Montgomery Wards Building (Same with walgreens) Suburbanites would have come to shop and the demsie of the 7 Mile/Gratiot area wouldn't be what it is now.

Urbanize

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They boarded up the Walgreens and snatched down the letters the same day it closed.

Urbanize

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had decent business. They probably closed that location because it did the worst in sales, although the business wasn't bad. Also, I don't think they had too much crime issues as the CVS on 7 Mile and Schoenherr. So the decision to close was probably corporate based like the Circuit City in Harper Woods.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would have did???????

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that shrinkage was an unexpected problem for this Walgreen's. Walgreen's has plenty of stores in the city in higher-crime areas, and they all seem to be built to prevent this sort of thing, with security cameras, barcode detectors, and typically a security guard at the front door.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

would have did???????

Albom's sidekick on his WJR program says that all the time...

Urbanize

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On my way home from playing softball in Eastpointe, I was asked to be a mystery shopper at a couple of Krogers for a few weeks. One was in GP, which was spotlessly clean, and the other was the one on Lappin. The latter had obvious grazing and evidence of shrinkage in several aisles--ripped open boxes, bites taken out of some food items, items missing, etc. It was also very messy and dirty here and there."

LY, there's two Grosse Pointe Krogers, which one did you visit, the one with or without a deli?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember for sure if it had a deli near the center? of the store--but I thought it did, and it was very busy. There were three or four workers manning one section--probably the deli.

It also had a fresh seafood section which had absolutely no odor, though. It might have been part of the deli. I forgot the street it was on, but it had a parking lot off away from the main street--possibly a municipal parking lot.

It was fairly small, as groceries went--maybe only three or four checkouts. But if the place got busy, the manager would open up one of the unused lanes himself. He also addressed a lot of his customers by their first or last names, which is something that groceries rarely do today. He kept his workers doing things like mopping/sweeping.

I was only there in GP twice because the outfit that did the mystery shopping only wanted a frame of reference for the Lappin store. Considering how new the Lappin store was, I was surprised it closed so suddenly.

BTW, the shopping visits and write-ups only took about 45 minutes and paid $24 each and you could keep the $8 of groceries they said to purchase or get reimbursed for them (for them to consume--they liked pop and some other faves).

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 07, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the one in the GP Village on Kercheval and Cadieux across from the old Jacobsons. The reason it was so well run JUST wasn't because it was in GP, but because it was one of their so called "Higher end stores" (Kroger Premier).

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 07, 2007)

Stephanie
Username: Stephanie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not surprised to see this Walgreen's closed already. What's the point of keeping a place open if it's going to get robbed blind( mostly by the employees) on a regular basis?

I used to work for an inventory service that audited all the Walgreen's and CVS stores in the area. The stores along Gratiot were always the worst ones to do because they're always dirty and unorganized, and the management of the stores would argue that "we must have counted wrong because there was no way that much merch was missing from this store". We could fill an entire shopping basket with empty packaging that was left on the shelves to make it look like the product was still there. The CVS on Gratiot near the airport was missing $3,000 in merchandise on their first audit, which was done BEFORE the store was opened to the public. What a great staff that store had/has. I'm surprised it's still open.

Urbanize

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what you're saying is that the businesses along/near the Gratiot corridor are filled with unorganized thieves?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So what you're saying is that the businesses along/near the Gratiot corridor are filled with unorganized thieves?

There are obviously gangs there, too. The murderers of the armored-truck worker servicing the ATM at 8 Mile and Gratiot during the daytime a few years ago were members of a known gang (in Eastpointe?). In fact, they were the prime suspects right at the time of the robbery, according to police reports.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the 7 & Gratiot store didn't get its fence ripped off like the one at Mt. Elliott and Jefferson.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boycott Walgreens!

Urbanize

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Boycott Walgreens!"

We only shopped at CVS anyways on 8 Mile and Gratiot.

"There are obviously gangs there, too. The murderers of the armored-truck worker servicing the ATM at 8 Mile and Gratiot during the daytime a few years ago were members of a known gang (in Eastpointe?). In fact, they were the prime suspects right at the time of the robbery, according to police reports."

Sad, the Middle Class hard working folks who do live in the area must be bothered by some ignorant suburbanites and also, the area does have the highest population in bad behind kids, so that may have something to do with it also. This area was on of those area that could go either way, looks like it's going downward to me simply because of crime.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the Walgreens at 10 and Gratiot yesterday. Had to wait 10 minutes for someone to unlock a cabinet to buy over-the-counter medicine. Talk about stupidity.

Urbanize

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Walgreens on Mt. elliot and Jefferson. We were on our way to Jefferson, so we had to go tot the Chase in harbortown. However, we didn't get a card, so we stop at Walgreens. Waiting in line 10 minutes, and WE were next. Everyone else got upset at us for being late to the wedding because of the people at that Walgreens. At least the Walgreen at 7 and Gratiot had better Customer Service.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I remember Walgreens BEFORE there was even talk about them coming here to Detroit. They were prevalent in both Chicago and Milwaukee. And they were like F&M-only smaller-back then. Whatever you wanted, it was there. And this was in 1987, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Sharp contrast to what we got here a decade after the fact. If I'm not mistaken, the Walgreens on Moross was the first one in Detroit, on the eastside, at least. Here's something else I didn't understand. Why did they build a Walgreens @ G7 when there was one 5-10 minutes away from there that was both 24 hours AND in a safer area? To me, that was a huge waste of money. I pass through the area quite often, and the Walgreens there is now completely boarded up.

Urbanize

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same reason they built Walgreens on Kelly and 8 Mile and 10 Mile and Gratiot, DUH! Also, people in the 7 mile/Schoenherr area would be crazy to drive all the way over there when they had two CVS's near their home which give cash back. So generally the fact of simple demographics (like the one on Moross) was the reason for opening a Walgreens at 7 @ Gratiot. However, you're right, it was a big waste of money for him swindling us who shop there by getting us to patronize the location for their own good sake, then closing it with only short notice, an AWFUL waste.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 14, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 14, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.