Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Apartment Building on Michigan Ave next to the Senate Theater was torched « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was any one aware that this spectacular building that was undergoing a spectacular renovation was torched on Saturday? What only remains is the partially burnt brick and concrete exterior that had been painstakingly cleaned and made to look almost brand new.

Does anyone have any information on the cause of this fire!

This was a very unusual renovation because it was far from the downtown and midtown areas where just about all renovations of old buildings are taking place in the city. This building was in the Livernois-Michigan Avenue area, which is just another gritty Detroit neighborhood on the southwest side.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5556
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! That Apt. building on Michigan Ave. west of Livernois was caught on fire just moments ago. The Apt. building was currently on renovation by O'Brien Construction Company. I'm not sure who started the fire, but several floors of the building are gone. It's total loss of several millions of investment dollars to the building project. It was a prime hope to revitalized the Michigan Ave Business District. That leads to the question WHO WOULD REBUILT THAT BUILDING OR WHO WOULD TEAR IT DOWN?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/m ichavefire01.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/m ichavefire02.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/m ichavefire03.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/m ichavefire04.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/m ichavefire05.jpg

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building was being renovated by Southwest solutions, a very positive outfit in the southwest Detroit neighborhoods. I'm involved with the Senate theatre group, this isn't good news for us.

Danny

Post Number: 5561
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,

O'Brien Construction Company headed the building projects in most SW Detroit buildings. Southwest Solution provided the funds. The Street Prophets had ties to the organization.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, thank you for providing clarity on that. I know that Southwest was the business interest leading the job.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6175
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's shit. I've driven by there a few times over the last couple of months, and I was always impressed with what a great job they were doing.

I was looking forward to seeing the rehab of the ground floor retail units.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surely the city of Troy is behind this somehow...or maybe it's the result of Livonia opting out of the SMART bus system...or both!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be so quick to assume it was arson. If the building was under renovation, fires do break out somewhat frequently due to carelessness of the work crews. Cigarette butt flicked into a pile of rubbish, cinders from a careless torch, etc.

Danny

Post Number: 5564
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's O'Brien Construction Company fault for their carelessness, then Southwest Solutions will NOT pay for damages. O'Brien Construction Company must rebuild that building or else LAWSUITS would come upon that company.

Wolverine

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This building doesn't appear as a total loss, just heavily damaged. I'm sure it's insured and renovation work can continue, just with a lot of added inconveniences.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that O'Brien Construction Company would be liable for rebuilding the building. They would probably simply have to cover the value of the structure. Maybe a few hundred thousand or so...

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no way that this building will be saved at this point. It is too far gone. That must have been quite a sight to see burning. There is not much left but a brick shell. Let's hope that this fire doesn't scare off other investors from investing in the area.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wouldn't say that - there's been buildings worse than that that have been saved. Not that I expect it - but I wouldn't rule it out quite yet.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pics?

Wolverine

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon, and I suppose that was a problem for the structures over in Brush Park?

There's no evidence of burning on the first two floors, and it appears that the third floor only sustained some fire damage. Most of it is on the upper floor. If this building is entirely load bearing masonry, it may still be adequately braced by the lower undamaged floors. The same goes if its a steel framed building.

If the company really values the history of this building they will save it. But I wouldn't necessarily call this a loss.

Rrl, I posted pictures already.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your Brush park comparison is flawed- rehabilitated structures in Brush park have been selling for over $200/sq. ft. so it makes sense to fix up even the most deteriorated buildings in Brush Park. This apartment building on Michigan Ave. was being rehabilitated for use as an apartment building in an area where market rate rents for an apartment would probably be about $500 to $600/month.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a resident of the Michigan-Livernois Neighborhood, an active member and Vice Chairman of the Michigan-Livernois Neighborhood Council and a member of the Claytown Neighborhood Revitalization project, I would like to say the following.

1. The fire was accidental, something to do with burning work being done and a problem with a leaking acetylene tank causing an explosion.

2. The building IS insured and the renovations will continute, however, they are now way behind schedule.

Hats off to Southwest Solutions, Mich. Ave. Business Association, and all the other organizations in our neighborhood that are trying to make it a better place to live.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, that's great to hear. i'll take renovations being behind schedule over demolition any day.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so happens I took some pics of that building on one of my photo shoots. By the way,has anyone ever visited the Senate? Damn shame.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that update Billybbrew!! That is definitely really good news to hear! About the best news that one could have hoped for!

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman played a wonderful Christmas concert there on the Mighty Wurlitzer this past December. Nice theatre and very nice organ...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next concert:
March 18 3PM

http://www.dtos.org/Design/Hom e/indexHome.htm

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by here this morning. There were lights on in the burned building. Looks like they are assessing damage. It may get rebuilt after all!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billybrew... I too heard him playing the organ, but it was the 4/36 Wurlitzer at the Fox.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.