Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Big Boy on Grand River and Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Boy has unfortunately been and integral part of my life. I was wondering if anyone had any memories or photos of the one on Grand River and Woodward

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What years are you talking about Chitaku? I worked near that corner in 1976 and don't remember seeing one there at that time.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe 50's and 60's maybe not on the corner, it could of been more towards Capitol Park.I just know one was there

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only remember the one on Cadillac Square. Circa 1975 or so.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it. It was right at the alley. The building I think is still there, it was the Labyrynth last.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother worked at the Big Boy at Gd. River and Woodward when she was in High School at Cass Tech... probably in the mid-late 60's. I thought perhaps it was in the building with the Michigan National Bank, but I think it may have been adjacent.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmm...Slim Jim.
Sadness that the one on the 75 service drive and 9(?) Mile closed.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Big Boy that was at that location was a part of the same building that housed Renaissance Shoes. It's just a parking lot now.

The store had an L-shape design(the shoe store took up the corner of Grand River and Griswold). The store's entrance was near the alley on Grand River and the restaurant's seats bent around and headed towards Griswold.

As a kid my parents would take the family there after going to the movies at the Plaza (Bleu Nightclub), Madison, or Adams theaters. I used to always get the Brawny Lad and a salad with French dressing. Best French dressing ever.

BTW, remember when Big Boy was called Elias Brothers. However, if you left Michigan you might go to a Fritz Big Boy or some other name.
My wife always laughs when I call it Elias Brothers.

(Message edited by royce on February 22, 2007)

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there still a Big Boy in the REN CEN?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only 2 Big Boy restaurants within Detroit: http://www.bigboy.com/Locator_ Restaurant.asp?City=Detroit&St ate=Michigan

I assume the one at 32 Brush in in the RenCen.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big boy is closed in the city now other than Belle Isle. The first in the area was 8 Mile and Dequindre which was opened in the 30s after Fred, John and Louis Elias visited Bobs Big Boy and Chilli Bowl in California. Elias owned the franchise rights and sold them to Bob Liggetts Big Boy LLC. The Belle Isle Big Boy would make the Elias boys turn in their graves

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ren Cen location was a victim of the massive renos in the building--it's been gone for at least 5 years, maybe longer. Great views of the riverfront from that location--and it was untouched by renovations--a look back at the styles of the 70s.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going in there after seeing the re-release of Gone with The Wind - probably around '61 and when we walked in the rear door the theme from Peter Gunn was playing and the seats were all
taken and we walked thru and out the other door. I don't even know why I remember that and every time I
hear the Peter Gunn theme, it comes to mind.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to watch the fireworks from the ren cen Big Boy

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could the 32 Brush be at Ford Field or Comerica? The one at the RenCen was great. Too bad there is no a longer a sit-down restaurant in the Ren Cen for a reasonably-priced lunch.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.