Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » FAYGO CELEBRATES 100TH ANIVERSARY « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have had FAYGO forums before but this week they celebrate there 100th birthday...rememeber when you were a kid and part of you still is ...thats why we make Faygo...which way did we go which way did he go. Lets hear some of those old memories

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the 80's, 1 of my favourites was Moonshine (rechristened as Moon Mist in the early 90s) When I became of age I was introduced 2 cognac mixed with Faygo Cola. But my fondest memories of Faygo was those $.35 bottles and they were glass, AND they lasted! And when I started high school in the 80s, Faygo was either 30, or 35 cents @ the vending machines-I eventually grauduated 2 Coke and Pepsi, but I never 4got where I came from because Faygo has stood the test of time. At one time Faygo was banished from certain grocery stores because they wanted customers to buy their 'No-frills', watered down sodas, but due 2 the demand of the customers, Faygo was back on the shelves. Here's 2 another 100 years!

BTW, bring back Artic Sun. It kicked ass with OJ
(some even said it was better with gin).

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo History and other Centennial features at: http://www.faygo.com/

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11303
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a great piece on Faygo.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hcN mfeGmeoE

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 551
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which way did he go? The true story of The Faygo Kid.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ The_Faygo_Kid.htm

Live it Up Up Up with Uptown!
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ uptown.htm

I'm looking for a Faygo Kid poster that was printed in the mid 70s. Anybody got a spare one they want to get rid of?

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the warm weather months as a youngster, my friends and I would always walk the half mile from home to Buster's Food Mart at Packard and Platt in A2. We'd stock up all all sorts of candy and of course, Faygo. We always thought it tasted better than any other brand of pop. The cheap price meant we could purchase more candy too. We would proceed to walk to the Loving Branch library, sit on the wall, and start the process of our sugar high.

The bottles were glass back then too. When did Faygo make the switch to plastic? I can't seem to remember...

Waxx

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere between 1988-1990. I remember that transition when I started high school in 1989. So somewhere in those lines. Does anyone remember Diet Frosh? (Came and went in the 80s)

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of remember Diet Frosh - nasty stuff. If i remember correctly, it was grapefruit flavor with the nasty chemical-tasting stuff they put in diet pop before splenda.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diet Frosh is listed under their products on their website.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the store the other day and saw something like Faygo 'split' or something? It was half grapefruit and half lemon-lime.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11305
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The bottles were glass back then too. When did Faygo make the switch to plastic? I can't seem to remember...

You can still get it in glass bottles in some locations.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah Faygo... You're all we have since Vernors went away. Vernors: It's what we used to drink around here.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. I remember drinking a lot of beer, too.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who can resist a three-liter of redpop for $1? I know I can't.

Waxx

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who can resist a three-liter of redpop for $1? I know I can't.

hear, hear, Sticks.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starving artists like Faygo.

Cheaper, but better than the generic brands.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second bringing back Artic Sun Pop...and to quote the Insane Clown Posse....I said FAYGO! fuck mountain dew!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, picked me up a Redpop on the way home just to join in the celebration. Happy birthday Faygo. Mmmm its as good as ever.

Waxx

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Friday, Johnlodge. I think I'll get 1 today. Ten Decades and counting (lol).

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which brings up an earlier question.

Can anybody find out about Cletis Faygo flavour?

jjaba.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artic Sun was indeed the best flavor produced.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has never been a Cletis flavor of Faygo.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the 45 single of the radio jingle and the full song.
Mom and I listened to it the other day and found ourselves swaying to and fro! Sheesh, what a couple of dorks :-)

Can't remember how we got the single. Was it a promo that you sent away for? Anyone know?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup! I think you mailed in a buck.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Faygo website and it said that they sold 75,000 of the 45's for 25c a piece. If we paid a buck, we were ripped:-)
This thread is making me want to use smiley faces.
Thanks Ed, do you have one too?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one in the original mailing envelope.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much better than an ice cream float made of Vanilla ice cream with Rock & Rye.
YUM

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba is being a mischievous imp, bringing (back) up this "Cletis" business. I second Ed G's statement. No such thing as Faygo Cletis. I think Jjaba is just toying with us.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4879
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed and Ravine, thanks. The question is settled. jjaba didn't invent the question. It was asked and unanswered earlier. No Cletis Faygo. Final Answer!

Sometimes jjaba runs into Faygo cans in 24 pks. for dirt cheap in big box stores in distant places. Faygo must be able to market to the discounters with good success. Saves jjaba from buying shitty store brands.

Also, a warehouse in Los Angeles distributes Faygo in large glass bottles, about 20 ozs.
They are carried by some convenience stores who like that sort of thing, or at retro-gift shoppes.
jjaba has seen them at Pure Detroit Stores.

Where do you buy your Faygo in bottles? And where are they bottled?

jjaba.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To set the record straight, here are the official Faygo flavors. Notice that Cletus IS NOT one of the flavors mentioned. Who would want to chug down a big bottle of Cletus anyway???

www.detroitkidshow.com/flavors .wmv

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ed, if there were only 75,000 copies of the 45 sold, maybe we have two of the last and they are worth 'meeeeellions of dollars'! Woo Hoo~!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PSIP misses Atlas Cream Soda,, better then Faygo, not that Faygo is bad.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yum, Atlas! Haven't tasted a Cream Soda as delicious. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4887
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kinda moonshine you put in the cream soda in the hills, Kathinozarks?
jjaba.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, you are so funny. But seriously, Bobby Tom's is good. Jimmie Don sometimes comes to town with a decent batch too. Mostly you got to go to him, though. He's down the road pass that ol' elm stump, leff whare yew cain't go no mo.
Say hi to mamma an' them. Y'uns'd love it!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4892
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Righto, Bobby Tom's be the bestest. He lives up the hollar, lef of the crick. Putcha some cream soda in dat and dem's a drink awright. He be the onliest one livin' up thar, ya he-ah.

jjaba on the Westside.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a W.C. Fields character pitching Frosh in the TV ads.

That stuff did taste like Dow Chemical provided the flavoring.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fields character in the Frosh commercial was played by magician Karrell Fox, who was the second Milky the Clown on WWJ-TV.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like their red pop. I used to drink it alot as a kid... might explain why I'm so weird... :D

-HL

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Jjaba an ol' ridge runner?
"Onliest". "Crick". Kinda right on scary!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4894
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's ridge running is the sledding at Rouge Park.

All's the rest he read in the papers.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Waxx

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be glad when they bring back the Artic Sun. I posted this on the other Faygo thread, but I heard that it goes great with gin-but I was 2 young 2 drink @ the time-I don't really care 4 gin [by itself], but I'll try anything once. I tried the 60/40, and I liked that. Literally a far cry from Diet Frosh in the 80s! I choose Moon Mist over Mountain Dew any day! Now it would be nice if Faygo made an energy drink. I'd be 1st in line 4 some cans or bottles. thinkin' out loud on that one!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powerblast is also owned by FIZ.

http://www.powerblastenergy.co m/

Waxx

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powerblast is also owned by FIZ.

Thanks, East_detroit

Waxx

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Has anyone mixed Rock & Rye with Amaretto (a REAL HEAVY liquer-so heavy you can't drink it by itself-you have 2 mix something in with it)? Try that out one day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.