Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit a possible host for 2014 or 2018 World Cup? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught this on ESPNsoccernet.

"the focus of any US bid for the 2018 World Cup will again be the use of NFL stadiums which range from 60-90,000.

New stadia in Seattle, Houston, Detroit and Glendale, as well as forthcoming facilities in Indianapolis and New York, are likely to be the centrepieces of the stadium plan.

In 1994, games were played in American football stadiums in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, San Francisco and Washington DC."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/n ews/story?id=409812&cc=5901

I'm wondering if Detroit is under any real consideration or has it just been included because matches were held at the Silverdome in 1994?

Having matches indoors was a gimick the first time around. Would the USSF and the Lions really consider ripping up the field turf and installing grass again?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit hasa real shot at getting one of the games for a world cup. michigan has the most registered, non-professional, soccer leagues in the country. that was why the silverdome received participation in the 1994 round.

you would not have to rip up the synthetic turf in ford field; it is on a system that can be removed, stored, then replaced. it's what they do for concerts, truck pulls, conventions, etc.

the astroturf was not ripped up in the silverdome either; real grass was grown on wooden pallettes and placed over the playing surface, by msu "sod engineers" [many apologies to those in this field - i don't know the real name of the profession].

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Department is Crop and Soil Science (I'm a grad student in the department), and the program is Turfgrass Management. There is a big turfgrass breeding and research station across from where I work. They even built a mini translucent dome like the Silverdome at the farm to screen for species that held up better indoors for the '94 World Cup. Turfgrass students are commonly referred to as "turfies" on campus.

University of Michigan students and alums laugh at us and call us "Moo U", but World Cup '94 would have never been in Detroit (Pontiac) without the turf program at MSU

Motor
Username: Motor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fieldturf used at Ford Field is fifa recommended so I do not think there would be a need to bring in modular grass turf.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rsa,

Not to hijack this thread, but can you point me toward any leagues or simple pickup games that take place in the metro area? I'd love to start playing again after all this EPL I've been watching.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11304
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention, the British and Europeans tend to love Detroit.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EPL is great!

Id love to have the World Cup back in Detroit. This past summer was great and I remember it being even cooler when it was here in 94.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm from Detroit and live in Germany and agree that a lot of Euros like Detroit. The return to Ford Field is great news since I'll be moving there soon and have a new found affinity for soccer after having lived through the World Cup here.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the games during the last Cup in 94, and I had a BLAST. I would LOVE if it came back. Perhaps if Detroit had a good showing we could justify having an MLS expansion team.

I always thought that a scaled down Tiger Stadium would have been PERFECT for an MLS team.

*sigh*

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock asked:
quote:

can you point me toward any leagues or simple pickup games that take place in the metro area?

See http://musl.net/

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/U PDATE/702280456/1003

Soccer World Cup in U.S. in 2018?
Associated Press
LONDON -- FIFA might assign the 2018 World Cup to its North and Central American and Caribbean region, putting the United States in prime position to host soccer's showcase for the second time in 24 years.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd LOVE to have MLS in DET...I don't quite understand this 'indoor soccer' thing, it's kinda like a hockey game without the fights.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...it's kinda like a hockey game without the fights."

I thought that was the NHL in the Betman era.

jk

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever see the Detroit Rockers when they were still in business? It was soccer with boards.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.