Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Memorial day weekend « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys! Im coming home for the first time that week and will be in the city proper friday and saturday night. I'll be staying with a friend in Eastpointe on friday, but hoping to stay downtown on saturday night. I've looked for rooms but not having any luck in what I feel would be a "safe zone". The Ponchitrain wants $160 per room (which is ok with me) but they have a 2 night minimum. I checked the Marriott (RenCen) and the omni and they are wanting $300 a night (NOT GONNA HAPPEN). THere is also a Comfort Inn and a Days inn down on Jefferson heading towards Bell Isle (the reviews given on them both are TERRIBLE)!!!, but would that be a safe place to stay? I know we couldnt walk to Hart plaza from there so that would suck. Any suggestions on "SAFE" walking distance from Hart Plaza for the Electronic music fest? (Im willing to go $150, but not the $300 for a room I'll only be sleeping in). Im bring my partner of 8 years and hes already afraid so I want this to be a good safe trip for him also.

Another thing, and I know its early. Any thing good going on that saturday night? I would love to take him to the Fox or the Opera house(although hes already told me "I love you enough to go to Detroit, but I dont love you enough to go to a F***ing opera" LOL. Any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Looking foward to coming home!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Harmonie Garden Hilton right downtown, exmotowner. My friends stayed there when they came to my wedding a couple years ago. They said it was nice, although they were all pretty wasted and they pretty much used the rooms to fall over.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milner
Hilton garden
Holiday Inn Express

Any hotel in the CBD is within walking distance of Hart Plaza...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're gonna be pretty hard pressed that weekend...

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn' that the TechnoMusic Festival weekend at Hart Plaza?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City will be packed with techno's, its fun but all the hotels will be booked. Bring on the new hotels asap

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go with the Milner!!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys! I got a room at the Milner VERY reasonable. $69 for the night. Yea I know its gonna be packed thats why I wanted to book now. Im not really into techno music, but Im sure it will be Awsome and I'm really looking foward to it. Thanks for all the help. If anything pops up at the FOX or Opera house, please let me know! Again, Thanks!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never been much into Techno either, but it is detroit. regardless i have had fun the last few years i went. the only event i know of where you can go across the street to the liquor store (where everything is a lot cheaper), walk along the riverwalk sipping you beverages, and then head back into the event with a decent buzz.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't the Milner a flophouse until recently?

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner - Use Hotwire.com. 3.0 star hotel on Saturday night is available for $59/night ($74.55 w/ taxes and fees). The hotel is the Holiday Inn Express off Washington, FYI. Been there, done that. Reputable chain with no frills, yet well kept, especially for the price. Within walking distance of all the action.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilton Garden Inn

I just booked a room there for my parents for Memorial Day weekend yesterday, so I would assume they still have rooms available.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Milner was renovated for the Super Bowl and had many write up's in the press at the time.

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumped and cleaned, please continue...

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Princess Riverboat is docked right behind Hart Plaza and will have a dinner cruise on the Saturday with Motown entertainment. There is also a late night moonlight cruise until 2am.
www.detroitprincess.com

Kenp

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the first time I have ever seen a thread on here cleaned. Im a little suprised at this.
Was it due to the hijacking of the thread or the drug talk or were you just sick of reading Beavis?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure any references to illegal activity are removed.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and they needed to be removed. Thank you susan and Admin. It had gotten out of hand. Thanks Auspower for the DetroitPrincess Idea. Will keep that in mind.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yeah I know I kind of derailed there. SORRY EVERYONE! Everything past my statement of saying I will be there was completely irrelevent to the topic! I lost my posting rights for a day and a half because of it. I'm surprised I even got them back! I realize I crossed the line when it looked like I was using this site to further my illegel activitys. I WAS NOT! For future reference I will only post on my expeirences and only when it pertains to the actual discussion. For what it's worth I usually make an effort to show respect and not resort to name calling. Even though its pretty tough not to resort to yelling f-u:-) Maybe thats why I am still here?
Anyways thanks to the admins for not complety banning me. I also want to extend another apology for the people who wasted the time to read my babble. SORRY!

Kenp

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually glad to have you back beaver.
The boat trip is cool, I took it on Labor day during the Jazz fest.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im really hopeing something good is booked at the fox for the 26th. I would love my partner to see it. (not that hes all that into architecture) but just walking in that place takes your breath away

Kenp

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have tours of the Fox.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't know if you are into classical, but we have a great program (with an excellent conductor) that night at the dso:

http://www.detroitsymphony.com /main.taf?erube_fh=dso&dso.sub mit.getEvent=1&dso.eventId=164 5

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not stay at one of the b&b's in brush park?
close enough to everything in the CBD

Exmotowner

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im already booked at the Milner, but thanks for the suggestion on the B&B in brush park. Too late now though. As far as the symphony goes LakeSuperior, Theres no way in hell I would get my partner there. LOL But thanks for the suggestion. I sure wouldnt mind seeing the restored Orchestra hall.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.