Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Economist reviews Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its a fair analysis

http://www.economist.com/world /na/displaystory.cfm?story_id= 8633279

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Particularly scathing, and truthful:

"All the while, some city council members act as though they would not mind if the downtown hollowed out completely—so long as the last person to leave got union wages and benefits for turning out the lights."

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harrington is BLEEDING money at the centaur right now.

I love the City Council crack--Brilliant!

I always thought the economist was a left of center magazine but with a crack like that.....

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All in all, the article seemed kind of upbeat.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Centaur's not doing well?

Always seem relativly crowded on busy bar nights downtown...

Croweblack--more info if you would be so kind.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is tough to go from not having a mortgage to having a mortgage.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just one question where are the "renovated sports stadiums"?.... They should check the facts...

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they may have put some new paint down at the Joe in a few places. Does that qualify as renovated?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would call that more routine Maintenance myself....

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ehh, things could be worse: I could be pregnant.
(Note: I'm a man.)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5-6 years ago they completely repainted the outside of the Joe from grey and orange to grey and red.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they would repaint tiger stadium every year but I hardly think they called it renovations plus the article at hand seems to imply that they are talking about theater district stadiums.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.