Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Giovanni's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 621
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motivated by some of the threads I've seen on this forum, I decided to spend a few hours yesterday exploring the SW Detroit area.

We drove by Giovanni's and I was hoping I could get some reviews from people who have eaten there recently. How does it compare to other Italian restaurants?

Also their site mentions that the area was an Italian neighborhood. Was that area the largest, or one of the largest Italian neighborhoods in Detroit?

Thanks for any help.

(Message edited by rjk on February 18, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've only eaten there once, but it was the best meal of my life!!! The food was divine. And the atmosphere and service were terrific. Better than Roma Cafe and Mario's and Lelli's, IMO. Be prepared to spend $$$ for two.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE best,IMHO, from the valet parking, the appetizers (calamari), wine selection, featured items, desserts, service, atmosphere etc. All excellent. The cost makes it a place for special occasions in this household, but well worth it.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate there most recently last month. The place was quite crowded with people who were going to a preview for the Auto Show. The latest redecorating is elegant rather than "family"; after several fires, I guess all the old family photos are long gone. The food and service, as always IMO, were first-rate. It is pricey; but for special occasions, well worth the money.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 805
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giovanni's is by far the BEST Italian (or any type for that matter)food in the Metro area. They seriously know service and food. It is our absolute favorite place to go. Enjoy!!!

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent food, almost unparalleled service. I went there a few years ago with my girlfriend at the time for our anniversary and the owner (don't remember her name, but she's the short older Italian lady walking around, hob-nobbing with the patrons) came over to chat. Upon finding out why we were there she sent over tiramisu on the house. She wanted to add some champagne, but we weren't 21 at the time. Where else can you get service like that?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, where exactly is this place?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4803
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakwood, not too far from the Fort St. bridge over the Rouge.

It was an Italian community, but not aware of what area in Italy the population was from.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, that was a favorite place for Frank Sinatra when he was in town.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Frank's favorite place to go was Sibley Gardens on Jefferson north of Kind Rd?

At least that's what they tell me--Hell, he probably went to them all with him being as big he was in his old age. (j/k Frankie!)

The Sib's is nice though but pricey. Could anyone compare Gio's to Sib's?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 622
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a picture of Frank on their site.
http://www.giovannisristorante .com/history.php

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go quick before it catches fire again.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for what it's worth, fran truant is the madre-domo in questione.....she is great....a true detroit institution to be sure.....

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jams.

Checkered_past
Username: Checkered_past

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took wifey there for anniversary,must say best filet mignon ever.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Filet mignon is a legendary Italian dish...

I like to order PB&J sandwiches in Chinese restaurants, myself.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, to answer one of your questions, the vast majority of Italian immigrants settled on the eastside (Gratiot and Harper area), but there were "pocket" Italian communities in other parts of Detroit, including that southwest area.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3150
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best, Best Quality....

You must try the calamari...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giovannis is wonderful, I also really frequent Vinces over the freeway off Springwells. A little more casual, but great food also,,It to has been there forever. Great Picatta (chicken and veal) and a plain fresh mozzarella cheese pizza for a appetizer is the best.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gios! The best! Excellent food and atmosphere. Caio!

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite SW Detroit restaraunt is Roman Village on Dix near Vernor. I used to go to Vince's until I witnesses a very harried waitress berated (in front of me) for "spending too much time with the customers" when all I ever saw her doing was running her ass off because they appeared to be short staffed. This occured because I was pressed for time and took my own check up to the register to pay. I like the food better at Roman Village and one day I got there about a half hour early without realizing they didn't open until 4 pm on Sundays. They took us in, seated us and the manager waited on us until the server got there just before 4pm. Any other place would say "sorry, come back at 4pm" Good family restaraunt since 1962 and good value.

Valeenmur
Username: Valeenmur

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to agree with Billybbrew.
Roman Village has best service/food and value for money.
We go there about once a month.Love the place

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roman Village has the best hamburger pizza anywhere and they do treat you like family!
I eat there every time I get home.

Vince's was the place for our bowling banquets. They had a good chicken dish. Haven't been there in years.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when is $11-14 for pasta pricey?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11336
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roman Village....HA! Was trying to remember who I talked to recently about a place down there. Couldn't remember the name of the place, I could only recall that it was in that little Arab Village down there off Vernor. Thanks Billybbrew!

Valeenmur
Username: Valeenmur

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, I think you were looking at the lunch menu as opposed to the dinner menu

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was gonna say the same, theJesus. Still, the dinner menu isn't insane considering the quality and service you all are talking about. ...and I'm still a relatively poor boy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.