Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Going to DIA Tomorrow, Need Lunch Advice « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

My family and I are leaving friendly Flint tomorrow and venturing to the DIA tomorrow.

Could someone recommend a good place for lunch? I will be traveling with kids: toddlers and a half grown kid.

We might do the lunch thing at the DIA. But if not at the DIA, could you recommend someplace downtown with good prices, maybe a view the kids would love and kid friendly?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can try the Olympia(?) Coney Island over on Warren or The Potato Factory on Warren as well...

Both are great places IMHO...

Mama_jackson

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, DS!

What is the fare like at The Potato Factory? Is there a view or something?

We will be getting an early start and coming in on 75, then thinking of taking the Woodward tour for part of the return back north.

The storyteller starts at 2, which is why we are going.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure if they have a website or anything. But the Potato Factory's main fare is varying stypes of HUGE baked potatos(among other things)...

My personal favorite is the steak and cheese one. Trust me once you eat one of those you will not have room for anything else...:-)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little sister and her friends really loved going to Johnny Rockets for whatever reason, although they are RARELY open...

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

potato factory is closed on weekends I believe, and it is just greasy spoon dive anyways - nothing special

if you want coneys go to lafayette downtown

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This question often comes up on Chowhound. It's a mystery to me why nobody has opened a fun, family-friendly restaurant in the Cultural Center area. There are any number of places in Detroit to go on dates, but fewer that are really suited to families, at least downtown.

Near the DIA I would think the Traffic Jam should be able to handle kids reasonably well. It's mostly booths, is not expensive, and has some fairly simple dishes like mac and cheese. Mexicantown would be another idea--any Mexican restaurant is almost by definition family-oriented. The big ones like Xochilmilco will be set up for families, but the smaller ones, like Taquería Lupita or Evie's Tamales, would also welcome kids and may be a bit more traditional than what you would get in Flint. When I was a kid I would have enjoyed the tamale experience.

The DIA restaurants aren't bad, but an entrepreneur starting a place in Midtown with burgers and shakes and party hats and so forth would clean up.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4496
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not 110% sure but the International Cafe in the basement of the International Institute across the street from the DIA might be open for lunch. I know it is on weekdays so maybe Saturday as well.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the woodward is amazing, i went with my mommy and mah lady! have the campus martius chicken

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Epicurious (sp), on warren, is a cheap student favorite.

Union street on woodward, across from the magic stick is a legend

Smogboy

Post Number: 4500
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thumbs up for Union Street as well but not for a jaunt with the kids per se. I love that place, the food, the drinks and atmosphere but I also leave that place smelling of BAR too.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Traffic Jam. Easy parking, classy, and close to the DIA. The Traffic Jam is located off of Canfield a couple blocks west of Woodward.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

an entrepreneur starting a place in Midtown with burgers and shakes and party hats and so forth would clean up

There already is a Mickey D's on Woodward

Smogboy

Post Number: 4503
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno about you but I'm waiting for the report back as to where they went now.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Epicurious myself. I would recommend going in November when the DIA is completely open. I went on Friday and could not believe how little was actually open.

Mama_jackson

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we returned from our little venture! Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I know you are wondering where we ended up having lunch. At the DIA! It wasn't too expensive, spent around $16, everyone had something to drink, salad and fruit.

The storyteller was wonderful, her name was Touchdown Dallas. She presented information on Rosa Parks and how she started the bus strike. It was really fun.

I was amazed at how many boarded up buildings in the area! Perfectly good (some quite beautiful)buildings. Such a waste.

Over all, a somewhat rushed (due to traffic on the way there-accident investigation on 75), but nice visit to DIA. I can't wait to see it after the renovations are complete.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend the Olympic Grill on Warren...I also highly recommend the Monster Burger with everything on it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.