Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Just For the Gay Folks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious. Do you, would you, could you consider living in the city of Detroit? What would be the positives and negatives of the experience? I am asking this question because there are quite a few neighborhoods in Baltimore that have come around and are progressing nicely that were initiated by gay homesteaders, mine being one. They are not exclusively gay, but if not for the gay folks living here, it wouldn't have happened. Can the same be accomplished in Detroit or is it not ready for that kind of homesteading yet? Sorry to segregate out heteros but I would really like to read the gay perspective without all of the other nonsense. Thanks for responding!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3831
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch out for Danny on this thread...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my best friends who is gay is planning on moving in with me (we are not an item). His issue is that there really isn't a community in the city itself. Woodbridge, I guess. Sorta. Not really. The fact that the city isn't as gay friendly as, say, Royal Oak or Ferndale doesn't bother him, though.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Park used to have a strong gay community but that neighborhood kinda collapsed and now Ferndale is pretty much the metro epicenter. However, my cousin is gay and his sig. other lives in woodbridge and it seems like thats the strongest gay community in the city...Im confused by your thread title. Im not gay but im assuming it's okay for me to post?

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Southwest Detroit on my block since 1997. I am openly out to my neighbors and have never had a problem with anyone. I would say that Woodbridge is probably one the communities that wouldn't be so vibrant and strong if it weren't for the initial efforts of the gay people and a few select others with an interest in preservation.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, here. Like I said, Woodbridge is great and "big ups" to the gay community. I looked at buying there, but the houses needed too much work. Great neighborhood, though.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

definitely....Woodbridge is the place to be for the gay folks. I know quite a few living there and more moving in every day.....

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Apbest--ok to post. I just didn't want the thread to get into a pissing match about gay issues and thank you for your perspective. Sounds like Woodbridge may be the up and coming area to me. I have a good friend in Royal Oak who called me to tell me her cousin who is gay just moved into that area. I wasn't quite sure where that was even located until she explained it to me. Thanks all for the responses.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure how much my being gay would influence the neighborhoods that seem appealing to me, which are Woodbridge, the WSU area including Fourth Street, and Corktown. It's not that any of these places scream gay so much as they are welcoming to a variety of people. And of course Royal Oak and Ferndale fill a different niche still. I've spent time in all of these places but lived in none of them; let's hear from more residents.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny all the buzz about the mysterious Woodbridge gays! I've heard tell of them but have never encountered one myself. I guess they all stay holed up in their fixer-uppers!

I only know gay people in Corktown, North Corktown, SW Detroit, CBD, Brush Park, Lower Cass, Midtown, New Center, Boston-Edison, Lafayette Park, West Village, Indian Village, Sherwood Forest, East English Village and Warrendale.

I don't think gay people will be a major part of any specific neighborhood's current or future revival. Instead, I think they will just be one of many factors. I think the prosects for any real gay "community" (as in, sense of community, not a physical space) are pretty limited in this city.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a gay stronghold at Palmer park some years ago. But they were driven out by crime. A few too many muggings and people no matter their sexual preferences don't like to get beat up and robbed; especially where they live.

An unfortunate aspect was that those wonderful deco and moderne apt bldgs were being appreciated and cared for by the people(gays) that lived there. ........Now, not so much.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL

I know you get razzed for sounding a one note symphony on crime, but in the case of the Palmer Park Gayborhood, you are absolutely right.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has always seemed to me that gay communities get started in an area that already has some existing artistic or eclectic community for example. Can be seen with either Ferndale or Royal Oak. The artistic people live in areas that are sort of leftover and with lower rents. They move in and start their community, seems as though the gay community rather quickly follows (or is maybe even hand in hand with them), Then not too long after that the area will go through gentrification with the yuppie suburbanite kids following. just my theory...

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbors are gay. I live in EEV

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbors are gay. I live in EEV

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One neighbor does not a gay community make.

Charlottepaul-That happened in Alphabet City in lower east Manhattan.

The area around Tompkins Square Park was mainly a lower-income mixed race community with a bohemian old world feel, and many homosexuals began to move in, feeling comfortable in the area and setting up shops and restoring turn-of-the-century Apts. Crime was an issue but eventually real-estate got expensive and the area was paralleled with massive gentrification. Loosely culminated with the Tompkins Square Park Riots in '88, in which current residents were being displaced by eminent domain issues and pressure from developers.

Now it's alot of yuppies and alot of Starbucks. Good or bad, it's hard to say but i could see something of that sort happening to areas of similar social and economic conditions in Detroit.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really unfortunate that the city can't provide the basics for a good Gay neighborhood. Years ago I loved living in Palmer Park in a gorgeous apartment in a wonderfully Gay and mixed neighborhood. As much as Gays are known for regentrifying neighborhoods, city cooperation is needed too. The businesses along Woodward dried up and went away, Palmer Park became even more crime infested, the drain was quick and today, todsay it is one scary place. The demise of Highland Park was the death of Palmer Park. Next stop was another great apartment on East Jefferson and once again, lack of city support killed the Gay enclave. For many years now, I've called Huntington Woods home. We have a large Gay residency, fully supportive city and just a great place to live. That being said, too bad we can't have the same in Detroit. I just spent two days looking at homes in Palmer Woods and the Golf Course District, beautiful, wonderful, fabulously built homes, I would be happy in any number of them....once again, the lack of city support and incredible taxation made me realize that it wasn't going to work.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I would could and do... in Lafayette Park.
I am pretty sure my partner and I are the only "ones" in my building...tho I could be wrong.
It would be nice to have another couple here in the building...
I would like if there were more gay owned business in the city other than nightclubs. That would be nice.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 804
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My partner and I live in Brush Park. We love it and so long as we have to live in this God-forsaken State, we will live in Detroit. Pretty much, I agree with many people here, that an overall "gay" community or presence in the City doesn't exist, nor has an opportunity to exist. What I DO like about Detroit, as aposed to other areas in the Metro, is when you go out to a bar, restaurant, etc... there is such a wonderful mix that it is acceptable for one to be themself.

And as for the "Woodbridge gay" myth...I also have NEVER met any gays from Woodbridge... I know there's a B&B there, but other than that? no bars, no restaurants, etc... I would like more gay businesses, too.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha_asfan, I understand your comment about the lack of city support for gay community efforts in Palmer Park. The number of gay residents there in the 1980's reached a kind of critical mass in that relatively small neighborhood, and a fair amount of community organizing and entrepreneurship was undertaken. But, the Coleman Young administration had no interest in welcoming those folks and things started slowing down. While the city sat on its hands, crack-driven crime arrived and the community dissolved.

I don't see the connection though between the city's promotion, or lack thereof, of gay community building in Detroit and your recent search for a house in Golf Club or Palmer Woods. If you like a house there, buy it. Both neighborhoods are vibrant, stable, and, like most similar-type neighborhoods in Detroit, filled with open-minded, friendly people. (I suppose that every once in awhile you might run into a "Tim Hardaway" type.) What does the city administration need to add to that in terms of facilitating gay issues?

Now, as for the taxes, well, that's another matter. But it's not a gay issue.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am one of the ones that left. I lived in Palmer park in its heyday. I managed 1001 Merton right behind Menjos for 3 years, but it got so crime infested I left with everyone else. I've said on other threads, if I were the city of detroit, I'd be begging the gay folks to come back. For me to come back to detroit, it would take a complete turn around. A lot of the gay magazines (rags) and gay web sites tell you there is no reason what so ever for a gay person to come to detroit "its had its heyday and its over". I do think its a shame. Palmer park was/could be again a cool place to live. It just got too dangerous.

I have a couple of questions now. Where is Woodbridge? Yelloweyes mentions EEV also? wheres that? Also, is there still a "security force" (LOL) in palmer park? Is there a "homeowners(Building)/owners association"? The reason Im asking is, if not and I were one of the owners of one of those buildings I'd sure as hell start one. I'd form a committie of the owners and see about getting a real police presence in PP, even if it meant raising everyones rent $10 a month to pay for it. Find out excatly what it costs per officer. Send out a letter to all residents and make it public that the owners/managers/residents are paying for their own Police force (of course this would be a HUGE undertaking)and let the city and country know that IT IS SAFE TO LIVE IN PALMER PARK! (AND MAKE IT SO)!!! Get rid of the laughingly funny "security force" that was in place when I was there. Put a real police presence in that neighboorhood (JUST FOR PP). I'd spruce that bitch up and make her shine and I'd be begging for the gays to come back. I would love to see palmer park shining and vibrant. Turn some of those first floors of the buildings into great shops! Throw some great resturants on the ground floors, some antique shops, a Starbucks, and you've got your self fag heaven!! I see so much potential in PP and it kills me to hear what it has become. Just imagine how awsome PP would be shined up and REALLY cared for!! That pictures from PP on Lowell's tour really bothers me. I havent been back in 10 years, but coming back for Memorial day. Will be visiting then.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge is roughly the triangle around Trumbull, Grand River, and I-94, near WSU. I know several gay neighbors; it is a very diverse and inclusive neighborhood: Communists, Buddhists, Anarchists, there are even Evangelicals!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For more info on those two neighborhoods, check out investing, living and visiting guide links at the bottom of these Model D web pages.

Woodbridge:
http://modeldmedia.com/neighbo rhoods/woodbridge.aspx

East English Village:
http://modeldmedia.com/neighbo rhoods/eastside.aspx

BTW, It's not unusual to see a bunch of rainbow flags flying in Woodbridge. It seems to have a stronger gay presence than any other city neighborhood I have seen.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new gay ghetto is North Corktown. Six gay folk that I know of and even a transgendered couple! That's gotta be the largest per capita in the city! ;)

Now if only a couple of the abandoned commercial structures could be renovated and turned into businesses...

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, I heard the north Corktown homes are crazy cute! Wish I had time to go see them... but it will have to wait till I come back, again.... 1 year and counting! I miss my condo.

I have always said... If City Counsel would put up some Rainbow flags in a neighborhood they wanted to renovate, give some good security and step back... The gays would move in and it would be fabulous in just 5 years! Seriously, this City needs to figure out how to support the communities that exist within it's borders... and do something about the fracking TAXES, already!

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize my comments were clear, will try to do better this time: the city has no responsibility to offer up anything to Gay neighbohoods than it does to any other neighborhood. The responsibility the city has to ALL neighborhoods are the basics, the police and fire protection, the garbage collection, the basic maintenance all neighborhoods require. Those services seemed to be sorely lacking. In Palmer Park, what a great place that was to live!!!!, it seemed the residents did a damn good job of taking care of themselves. In those days, when Gay men moved into a neighborhood, you knoew things were going to be getting better and fast. My memories of Palmer Park go way back. I had several sets of aunts and uncles who lived in park, original residents! An aunt and uncle lived on Merton in...was it called LaVogue? Another aunt and uncle on Covington directly across from the duck pond and yet another at the end in, i believe it was 1001. By the time I got there in the mid/late 70's, it was still a great place albeit, edgy. I think the city should have done everything in it's power to maintain the dignity and ambiance of the park instead of allowing it to decay. The night I moved out of the park was the night I was mugged. Walking home from Menjos, crossing through the parking lot of the Cove, I heard an engine knocking. On the street I saw a white cadillac convertible ,my first thought was "nice car, you should get that engine repaired." I crossed through the temple parking lot and into the parking lot next to my building on Whitmore. I freaked when I heard the engine knock. In front of me parked on Whitmore was the white cadillac and then a man walking towards me. I turned to run and ran about a foot, right into another guy. My only thought was "get off the concrete and onto the grass..better to be beatenup on a laen than on concrete." I managed to get to the lawn where the two guys got me down. One sat onmy legs white the other sat on my stomach. The one on my stomach pulled out a very nice knife and said "one noise and i'll slit your throat." I screamed as loudly as possbile. Every light in the building went on, i heard people say "we're calling the police." I was not cut, i was beaten up a bit, i had NO MONEY at all and no jewellery. Back in the house, I called the police. It was three hours, three full hours before two cops fromthe 12th came over. I was smoking a joint when they arrived. One of the cops, a woman, said "you know i might arrest you if you don't give me a hot off that." After that I was told I should not be walking alone in this neighborhood at that time of day.....it was my fault and be lucky I'mnot being arrested for pocession. I was out of that apartment within a few hours. The city, in my opinion, took advantage of the people willing and eager to call the city their home. As for now and making a good choice, to move back into the city or remain suburban, yeah, the neighborhoods I am looking on are where I grewup and I love them and love the idea of living there but, it's Janet Jackson all over again...."what have you done for me lately?" I'm not, as some folks are, coming from an "investment" perspective, I am coming from a quality of life perspective.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a goddamned shame that the city has let that area and a whole bunch of others go to shit Ha asfan. Your experience would have been enough to prompt most to leave as well. A historic area gone to shit and for what?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Corktown, Fourth Street in Midtown, Woodbridge, some small other enclaves really have the brunt of Detroit's gay population. And the first ring suburbs around Ferndale, and Royal Oak really have the highest percentage in metro Detroit. I would love to live in Palmer Park, but really I have walked the neighborhood and I drive through to get to Woodward heading east on McNichols and its a scary place at night. The buildings are amazing and it just has a great urban feel, but Highland Park really kills that area from moving forward. I am looking for an apartment for next year and its a hard search part of me wants to be in Detroit and be a part of the city revival and just involved and near school at UDM, but the other part wants to be in Ferndale which my boyfriend has close ties to and be involved with the city there. So it is hard from a financial stand point I will be more likely to find something affordable in Detroit which is a bonus but then there is safety which can be a problem in the areas that I can afford. I think Livernois and Sherwood Forest, Palmer Park and the area around UDM would really make a great gay neighborhood, yes its mainly single family homes but the shopping strip would be perfect. I would love to be able to use that area as well as a student and not need to worry about being mugged. It's a hard position and it really takes alot of thought, and there is even such a schism between the gays of Detroit and the gays of Ferndale, its hard really the community needs to put their differences aside and work together to make detroit one of the best places it can be.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDM is pretty much a niche in an otherwise not so great area. The neighborhoods to the south and west aren't so great. East of the school is pretty decent and north is really nice, but I haven't really heard of too many gays in that immediate area, other than the ones that are students at UDM.

6nois

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a small group to the north that include John Corvino and a few others. But you indeed are correct about the area. How I wish it was different.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was advised by 2 great gay guys to buy in Montrose, an inner city neighborhood of Houston. Paid 59 k for a house, 9 years later its now appraised for 204 K.

Thanks gay people, you guys are really "trendsetters" LOVE, Jane...

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please come to Hamtramck!. We always seem to be on the edge of a turnaround but we just cant find it!! All of the elements are there!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gays and lesbians=Gods chosen people. I love being around their positive welcoming live and let live lifesyle, which, unlike, christianity; judaism; and islam are NOT choices.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I love being around their positive welcoming live and let live lifesyle

Wow, we've definitely been hanging around different gay communities! You have no idea what those bitches are saying about you once you leave the room!

;)

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see a huge change in my neighborhood at Prentis and 2nd Avenue.

When I moved here 11 years ago it was mostly ghetto. There are more screamin’ Mary’s running around everyday, I love it. There is a growing gay population at Wayne State and many of those gay students end up moving to the area. Third Street use to be the gay mecca for the local folks, attracting both Wayne State area gays and Woodbridge gays. Now if you want to meet gay people in midtown, go to the Bronx Bar. It’s my favorite “gay-mixed” bar in the city! Usually from 4 – 8 the only female in the place is Charlene the bartender. She loves “her boys” as she calls them. Very friendly crowd.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From this straight person's perspective, while there seems to be no gay epicenter in the city, there are several neighborhoods that have a sizable population. For example, West Village/Indian Village seems to be about 20-25% gay, from the people I know. It's not a gay mecca by any means, but it's a considerably higher percentage than you'll see in the general population, and certainly gay-friendly in that sense.

But yeah, no neighborhood in the city is >50% gay as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens sometime in the future, though, whether that's in 5 years or 20 years.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked the question, and didnt see an answer, Is there no palmer park association, either of the owners, or the residents? And does Palmer park still have a "security"? It just amazes me that the owners of those beautiful million dollar investments dont have one or create one or Hell,I'd be doing anything to improve my investment. One way or another. 6nois has a great and true point, Highland park KILLS it, and that doesnt look to be improving (if ever). you guys mention Indian Village and East indian village, adn Palmer woods, hell I couldnt afford that in the late 70s early 80s, I know I couldnt afford to live there now! I cant afford to live in most of the gay centers but sometimes I think it would be nice. I did at one time in PP and it was nice then to have a community feel. Hopefully things will come together for the gay community there. Nashville is finally getting a "gay center" (bars/resturants along Church St. But really has now solid Gay neighboorhood. Were just kinda scattered throughout.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To help the northern Detroit neighborhoods reimprove, you can't exactly get rid of Highland Park, right? Maybe Detroit could annex it, but I don't know that that would necessarily help those neighborhoods rebound, yet alone HP itself...

6nois

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think annexation is a viable solution to the Highland Park issue. Detroit's government is a step, well twenty, ahead of that of H.Pilla, which as far as I am concerned really doesn't have a government. The true key for P.P. would be to find some landlords that would begin making improvements while maintaining an affordable cost, which would counter act the negatives of the area, crime, sever blight and decay on McNichols, being the primary problems, and then in time the area could rebound. There is already a gay resturant within walking distance, La Docle Vida. Really its a matter of finding the right people for the area. As for security, there is a sign that says that their is private security but I have never seen it and the neighborhood is a short cut for me to bypass the Woodward/McNichols intersection when I am going to be heading N on Woodward and coming from the East on McNichols. Man that sounds confusing. And of course in addition to that the city of Detroit could help improve the area with streetscaping on McNichols, as well as increased police presence, and working with Highland Park to improve the border area, demo. of some of the worst building would help greatly. I am a preservationist but many just seem to be at a point beyond repair.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have been marketing "fashionable ferndale" for a while now. This has given the "straight" community the idea that ferndale is now Michigans S.F. Complete with pride marches and guys in nut hugger shorts hanging out everywhere. I have a close freind who grew up on hilton just north of 8. I go down there with him about once a month. It seems the same to me as it was 10 yrs ago. Any thoughts on this? BTW- if there are any homophobes out there just go party with some gay guys once they live it up! I guarentee your mind will change.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you there Beavis. Aside from the new Gucci flagship store, um, I mean Affirmations Community Center, it's not that different from ten years ago. That's why I always chuckle/smack my forehead in disbelief when someone says "what do you mean there's no gayborhood in the Detroit area, you've got Ferndale."

Well, I guess by 21st century Detroit standards, that's about as good as it is going to get (and don't get me wrong, it's not horrible! It's just pretty tame by gayborhood standards).

Southsider
Username: Southsider

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a hetero city resident I would welcome any person or group w/the financial and intellectual to make the D a better place to live. Countrywide this has oftentimes come on in the wake of the gay community. I'll make a push for that to happen in West Village. The perfect community for this type of revival.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was advised by 2 great gay guys to buy in Montrose, an inner city neighborhood of Houston. Paid 59 k for a house, 9 years later its now appraised for 204 K.

Thanks gay people, you guys are really "trendsetters" LOVE, Jane...

Not to pry, Jane, but where in Montrose? I lived in Houston from 93-96 and even then, prices in Montrose were getting up there, and that neighborhood had an established nightlife. When I was house hunting, the prices in Montrose were already out of my range. I would have killed to have found a house there for 59K (and maybe would have stayed had I actually put down roots) The Heights was the up and coming neighborhood with cheaper houses in need of repair.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off of Driscoll and West Gray, next to the River Oaks Shopping
. Its a small house, 2 - 1 bath, no garage, but cute. Actually, now the gays are moving from Montrose to the Heights, but even Heights is getting pricey. Montorse is expensive now, as they are leveling homes like mine and putting up 1, 000 , 000 dollar homes.

I think the wards, 3rd, 4th and 5th are getting more professionals, esp when they build those townhomes.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My roommate and I (both gay) are looking for a good old house to play around with and fix up (not to gut necessarily, but for the right house who knows . . .) He is actually the one purchasing and was previously looking around Livonia/Westland. It took some time and subliminal messaging to sell him on Detroit but he went totally gung-ho when he saw some of the homes available. He hasn't ruled out any part of the city but so far we've only seen a few homes in Boston-Edison and across UDM. He is looking for houses with 4+ bedrooms because we will have a third roommate (also gay) and possibly eventually add a fourth. Also my roommate feels he may need two bedrooms. He's probably right. Anyway, he is specifically looking to purchase a home to fix up outside of downtown (as opposed to say, a new apartment in CBD.) We have all kinds of amateur pipe dreams for buying more real estate in the city, but first things first. We will have to check out Woodbridge, apparently. You guys have offered up some good info. Keep it coming we're open to all suggestions! We have nothing but time and want to see everything. It's been a long road since all that Livonia talk. We've been in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi for the last few years for school.

Also for what it's worth I know gay people living Downtown, around Wayne State, and in Warrendale. I don't think I could ever do Warrendale though. Just not exactly what we're looking for. Though the couple I know in Warrendale are out to their neighbors, they have two gay roommates and live a skip and jump from a few other gays. Then again they are right down the street from Gigi's.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gay and I live in the north Cass Corridor/Midtown area. There are a bunch of other queer people in my neighborhood & in the adjacent 'hoods [Woodbridge].

I know lots of gay people who live in Palmer Park, Cass Corridor/Midtown, Woodbridge, Lafayette Park, and New Center.

I've lived here for years and I find the neighborhood and the city in general to be very gay friendly [more so than people expect]. I would venture to say that my current neighborhood [north Cass Corridor/Midtown] is more gay friendly than Ferndale [where I once lived].

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a little plug that I don't think was mentioned above...Isn't that new store in Midtown at Cass and Peterboro ("Mantra") a business that caters to the alternative lifestyle clientele? I'm pretty sure I read in ModelD or somewhere that the owner moved it there from Hamtramck or something?

Sorry for being so vague.

Also, I've seen same-sex couples holding hands walking down the street in Midtown on occasion. I'd say Midtown in general is a very open-minded, accepting neighborhood. It's good to see such diversity, content, and accepted people.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saintme, if you're looking for a 4-6 bedroom house that is a manageable fixer-upper and is manageable in price, look in the Atkinson/Longfellow neighborhood just south of Boston Edison. There are some very large and unique homes in that neighborhood.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will never have a gay neighborhood. However, as a gay man who lives in Detroit, that is of no major concern. I prefer to stress the need for DIVERSITY in all neighborhoods. I live in Boston-Edison and know numerous gay and lesbian couples as well as single gay men who live here. We also have new residents to Detroit, folks who have lived in B-E for 40+ years, all races, all income levels, all professions. In other words - Boston-Edison is a great, diverse neighborhood. No offense, but I wouldn't want to live in an all gay neighborhood ... I prefer a diverse neighborhood. Now, to address SAINTME. If you choose to live in Boston-Edison, or any other historic district that is Zoned R-1 -- you cannot have 4 unrelated people sharing the house. We are a single family neighborhood. No more than two "unrelated" people can live in our homes. Our homes cannot be rented out as rooming houses (which sounds like you are hinting at doing). I figured I'd point this out ahead of time so you don't spend your money, planning to do something that is against zoning ordinances. Boston-Edison has a strong Association which works with the city to enforce zoning ordinances. We are an historic, single-family neighborhood and plan to remain such.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta put in a good word for Pittsburgh on this one. It's a pretty good place in that regard or at least it seems that way.

6nois

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole single family thing is a load of B.S. More of those houses would be full and affordable to more people if more than two unrelated people could live there. Honestly with the size of those houses a couple would be pretty lonely, and with the state of DPS families aren't rushing to live there. You gotta save those places some how, and who is to say that a owner with several roommates can't maintain a house as well as a single family. Its a load of crap that doesn't help the city.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Single family zoning for an historic district is what maintains the historic nature and character of the neighborhood. It is one of the things that attracts new owners and families to the neighborhood. R-1 zoning prevents our homes from becoming flop houses, room and board facilities, and / or divided into multi-family units. This is what preserves our neighborhood as the historic area it is. There are numerous areas of the city that are zoned R-2, R-3, etc. that allow such ventures. In fact, less than 10% of the city is zoned R-1. If you want to own a house for more than your self or your family or significant other, then look in one of the other areas. Believe me, there are plenty of old homes in the city waiting to be rehabbed. I chose Boston-Edison because it is an Historic Neighborhood, which still has affordable homes to purchase, and is R-1 zoned so I don't have to worry about my neighbor selling to someone wanting to open a boarding house. We are a real neighborhood because of it. I know everyone on my block as well as many folks on the route I take when walking my dogs each day. Contrary to what you may think (just because it doesn't meet your needs) maintaining single family zoning is a huge draw for this area. It is what helps us maintain "quality of life" amenities. It is one of the things that makes Boston-Edison a diverse neighborhood. Peace!

6nois

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neighborhoods aren't real because you limit who can owns with stupid R-1 restrictions. I support not being able to split the houses into multi-units because that destroys historic significance, but I don't see how four people who aren't directly related living in one house is a terrible thing that destroys a neighborhood.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.