Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Monaghan vs. Illitch « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two pizza baron's of Michigan. One still owns his pizza company and a good chunk of our fair city, a hockey team, and a baseball team that USED to be owned by the other. What happened? I'm pretty sure Domino's was always more succesful than Little Caesar's. Granted, Monaghan is a Christian fanatical, and maybe that hurt him. Now he's running around the country trying to start Christian radio stations and an investment group owns Dominos. This area was far more interesting when it was a two Pizza Mogul town. Whats your take?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about the catholic university and town TM is attempting to build in Florida.
I've always viewed him as a bit screwy, and I don't like the dominos pie either.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the domino's pie. Granted, I delivered it for 6 years while going to college so I probobaly ruined it for me for the rest of my life.

Oh yeah, this was a bit before I worked there, but people who I worked with told me that when they got rid of Ernie Harwell, it was CHAOS. People would call their local Domino's stores and ask for the manager and then bitch the poor store manager out about letting Harwell go. As if these poor people had ANYTHING to do about it. Kinda funny.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the book Queen of Diamonds: The Tiger Stadium Story.

You're not gonna like Monahan, Bo Schembechler, Mike Duggan and quite a few others

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8315
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you can compare success since they obviously have very different goals and very different priorities in their lives.

I'm sure that they are both very happy and would insists they are better off than the other.

I think that both their pizzas are second tier and would much prefer to support Vince's, Niki's, Buddy's, Cals or a variety of smaller/independt pizza places.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To thier credit, Dominos has vastly improved their product from years ago.

Little Caesars made their product worse, but drastically lowered the price.

Monaghan is a different kind of guy, everything he has done, from his pre to his post Catholic rebirth has always been over the edge. Domino's Farms is a weird place to drive around.

Illich...well...he's been talked about so much on this forum, I really won't add anything

Johnlodge

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Domino's strength from the beginning has always been delivery. I think the investment group that purchased the company realized this and learned from it, because the Heat Wave bags Domino's uses REALLY do make a difference in how the pizza is received by the customer. I worked there through the evolutions of these things (originally they had a plug sticking out of the heating element, which I immediately predicted would fail because there was no reinforcement where the cord attaches to the elemement: the point of most stress.) Eventually they came out with the magnetic induction element they have now. Kinda like magic if you ask me, the element gets hot but the tray it sits on stays room temperature. I kinda understand the theory but don't quite get it. But the pizzas themselves, they have only improved in the last couple years, for the most part they're gross.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any time I'm anywhere near the Metro Detroit area I have to order several Hungry Howie's pies. It's so cheap and almost bad compared to the pizzas at local joints in NYC but it tastes so damned good, especially with the cajun crust or any number of other flavored crusts. I think Hungry Howies is another Detroit based chain.

Dominos can be good at times. Their ingredients have improved drastically over the years. Their specialty pies can be tasty. Deep dish, thin crust.

Little caesars on the other hand... Probably the shittiest pizza available anywhere in the world. Had it twice when I was young. I don't know of any here, but maybe they have some outlets. Haven't seen it locally. I would not pay for that product and I doubt they would sell in New York. I'd rather have a frozen dollar pizza from the bodega. It's that bad.

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Ceasars used to be be great way back when. Now it's awful.

Those 5$ hot-N-Ready pies are disgusting. How do people stand eating those?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8321
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hungry Howies is Michigan based. I believe an East Side suburb.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blort....let me give you a hint:

1. $5
2. Hot
3. Ready

If you do not believe me, ask the guy in your lunchroom why he bought the Michelina's frozen food. Same answer. Convenience sells.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1... Howies in HQ'd in Madison Heights. Now why anyone would choose Madison Heights as their HQ is completely beyond me.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, its almost as dumb as having a major ad agency HQ in Warren. (cough cough campbell-ewald cough)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Boy's global headquarters is at 9 and ryan. Marcy rd to be exact, it is the strangest spot

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was the first Little Ceasers' located?

I'm a fan of Pizzeria Uno's ... Chicago Deep Dish is by far the tastiest pizza out there ... but unfortunately they don't have a lot of locations. I heard the owners of the downriver location were planning on a downtown restaurant near the stadiums ...

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Domino's Pizza is terrible and Tom Monaghan sounds like a total flake. At least Illich is keeping some of his investment in Detroit and not becoming an evangelist by checkbook.

The $5 hot and readies are not good either, but spring $2 more dollars and get the Sicilian Deep Dish. It is 10 times better than regular el-cheap-o's

Johnlodge

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooh that would be a great place for a Pizzeria Uno! Their pizza is delicious. But I don't know if Illitch will let that riff raff in HIS town. ;)

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Shield's has made its way back downtown ... maybe it's time for Uno's ...

I'd love to see Pizza House open up downtown. For anyone from MSU or UM, how amazing is their pizza... the best (oh wait, I just said Uno's ... with pizza I can never decide)

Barich16cmu
Username: Barich16cmu

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jets is the way to go. The best pizza around the D

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know if Gumby's pizza is still around E. Lansing?

I remember some late night greasy pies from them back in the day

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best pizza in metro detroit?

Steverino's on Dodge Park N of 15 in Sterling Heights wins hands down

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiorted: Gumby's is still around. It is on Grand River west of downtown East Lansing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The very first Little Caesars was located in Garden City, IIRC.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad I don't like mushrooms on my pizza. I just found out that most large chain pizza's import their mushrooms from China. Ewww! :-(

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the headline for this thread and thought for a happy moment that it was advertising a wrestling match. dammit.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Queensfinest, as a former Detroiter now living in Indianapolis, I was glad to see Hungry Howies come to town. They really do have the best flavored crusts in Indianapolis. Little Cesars hit town a couple of years ago with much hoopla, but the furor has died down now.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it strange that on my bus ride from the airport to my hotel on my first visit to Aruba, the first (and maybe only) pizza place I saw was a Little Ceasar's

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can hate on Little Caesars all you want, and even complain about their lack of flavor and taste (I agree), but the fact is that the $5 Hot-N-Ready pizzas have drastically driven down the prices of pizza all across the industry. So I'm happy about that.

Here in East Lansing, I know that at the Domino's, Papa John's, and Hungry Howie's stores within a mile or so of the Club LC that I deliver pizza at (mmm, poor college student) were losing many customers to Little Caesars that they lowered the price of a large one-topping pizza to $6.

As for a quality pizza pie, well, I think a lot of people know that the local joints tend to have the best pizza - you just gotta ask around and see where the good stuff is at.

(Message edited by motownmark04 on February 22, 2007)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motownmark, you should not be getting pizza in East Lansing unless it is from Mancinos!!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 755
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The very first Little Caesars was located in Garden City, IIRC

Yes, Garden City. Northeast corner of Cherry Hill and Venoy to be exact.

In a strip mall with then "Venoy Drugs", a Dry Cleaner, and a Coin Laundry.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the pizza at Lafayette Coney is far better than the pizza at American Coney.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Sleazars uses the worst cheese on the Hot n Readys. The owners don't want to buy two cheeses so they use the junk cheese on all the pizzas, understandably. Food Cost is the biggest thing when owning an eatery

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhh, all fast food pizzerias use junk ingredients.

According to latest reports those $5.00 pizzas contain only .30 of profits.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those $5 pizzas may only contain .30 in profit, but it still gets people in the store, where they may buy crazy bread, pop, salad, etc, which are far more profitable. a loss leader, of sorts, but even better that they do still make money off it. 30 cents x the number they sell a day, still adds up to a nice chunk of change.

my brother made some excellent pizzas when he worked at little caesars. i don't know how he did it different, since it was with the same ingredients, but you could tell the difference when he was working and when he wasn't.

that said, LC's still isn't the greatest, but still better than domino's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.