Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » UDM Law School Tower « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the story with this project? Does anybody know where I can find a rendering?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There aren't really any pictures of it. There was a small thumbnail size image of it back a few years ago in a newspaper article.

This might help: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=udmtower-detroit-mi-usa

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That project has been shelved for the foreseeable future from what I hear.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ What a goofyassed skyline of Detroit on the above link. And the sun is setting over what? Sterling Hgts?

Manny must have moved the bridge to Hart Plaza in his attempt to consolidate customs.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 100% dead. Instead of building a new law school facility (which depending on which rendering one looked at, would have been in the towers or atop the old school...which at one point was going to be converted to lofts.) the school is renovating the existing buildings and keeping the parking lot a ratty surface lot.

It was a ridiculously ambitious plan and none of us attending at the time it was announced ever thought it had even the most remote chance of coming to fruition as described. There is a line between ambition and fantasy...the dean blew right by it with those plans.

In light of the fact that the only thing the school did manage to build in the interim was a new guard shack in the parking lot, the grandiose plans for the new school/loft/apt/first floor retail building have become a bit of a joke with a lot of my classmates.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The existing building is rough and falling apart on the inside...I toured the school a year ago and was disappointed with the way it was maintained, especially since the exterior of the building is pretty sweet...

When I heard that they were going to build new, I wondered why they wouldn't just rennovate what they have...glad to hear this project is dead...as Higgs pointed out, it really was a ridiculously ambitious plan...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5126
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange. I was in contact with the law school's development director just late September of last year, and she informed me that they'd be making an announcement about this project in Spring 2007.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, they don't take you seriously either. So they just told you anything, just to yank your chain.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5127
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you know what she was thinking. I'm the only one here that offered anything in terms of a solid source. If anyone else has any other contacts for development at UDM Law School, I'd be interested in hearing, including you, Royce.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More importantly, when are they going to change the name back to U fo D like they have already started to do on the radio stations talking about the basketball games?

The jebbys are running again now...or are they?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is time to drop that issue Irish_mafia. There are way more important things for the school to consider. It will stay Detroit Mercy since that is the school from which I graduated. I have to say that I would fight against a fight to change the name (again nonetheless). Any reference to it as the University of Detroit is simply a way of shortening the ridiculously long name. As for me, I am choosing to stick with my alma mater, Detroit Mercy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.