Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DPM History Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me if this has come up before--but I was doing some reading on the DPM and it's history and came across something that intrigued me, though I question it's accuracy. In discussing the history and decline of downtown Detroit, whatever it was I was reading suggested that the initial DPM plan called for a station for Hudson's--of course I remember the trackage running along the JLH building along Farmer--was the plan changed due to Hudson's closure--or is the station in question Cadillac Center at Gratiot and Library?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, just a guess, but since the DPM opened in 1987, and Hudson's closed in I believe 1983, that is the reason there is no station there. "Cadillac Center" is the name of a mall that was supposed to be built that never was.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, it may have been true that a Hudson's stop was planned, because the DPM was in planning stages during the Ford administration (Gerald, not Henry), and in those days there was no certainty that the Hudson's store downtown would close.

By the time construction was under way, as Bob says, the downtown store had closed so there was no question about building a station. Of course, Hudson's had its last laugh on the DPM, causing damage and a temporary system shutdown when the store was imploded.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, Hudson's had its last laugh on the DPM, causing damage and a temporary system shutdown when the store was imploded.

Poor DPM. It never did nothing to nobody - or for anybody come to think of it. :-)

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good clarification--that's what I expected to hear--that by the time the shovel was in the ground, Hudson's was gone--but I suppose it does explain the routing of the trackage--it was great, on the correct side of the train you could see directly into the Hudson's building--wouldve been a great set-up if the store had remained open in some capacity with the transit stop built-in. What area of the store was adjacent to Farmer on the DPM's level--any ideas?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty much the back side...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's was supposed to move to a smaller space in the new mall, then the hudson's building was to be torn down to make room for something else.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Town of awful decisions

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.