Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What's Your Road Commission Grade? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 669
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the snow has stopped for X amount of hours now, and people are slowly filing in for work... or still sleeping in their warm beds. I thought we'd all give some grades to our respective Transportation depts from all the hell we endured coming in today.

MDOT - D+
DDOT - D
PEOPLE MOVER - STILL RUNNING!!! A

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PM A+
Oakland county road commission B-
Mdot C+

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roads here suck this morning. We got freezing rain all last afternoon and night, and then a couple inches of snow overnight. Metro was fantastic this morning, with no delays on my line, and less crowding thanks to the Government's delayed opening. I got to work in the same amount of time as usual.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MDOT = D-
DDOT = F

I saw a least 6 fresh spin outs on 75 between Crooks and 14 this morning around 9:30

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MDOT = D
Shelby TWIP = Z

maybe its just snow blowing back on the road... but i could not get out to scheonner this morning.. and i actually have a truck

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

driving home last night from alpine valley (wasn't going to pass up the RARE opportunity to snowboard on fresh snow) there was a distinct difference in the roads north and south of 8 mile on 75, south of 8 being in much worse shape

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8301
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I am not defending Detroit or Wayen COunty or whoever takes care of the freeways the snow in parts of Detroit did not come down until much later in the day (around 5 PM). So the time to get out and take care of it in some of the more Southern areas may have been less.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much snow removal does MDOT handle within their Metro Region? Isn't much of it contracted to the County Road Commissions?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelby Township is plowed by Macomb County Road Commission, so blame them. But it is quite possible that the blowing snow may have something to do with the roads not being the greatest.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART - C
PM - A
Grosse Pointe - B

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 972
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDOT runs buses. Roads in Detroit are either taken care of by Wayne County or Detroit Public Works, depending upon the road. Sometimes MDOT will help out too.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OCRC & WCRC = F!

how was Telegraph so freakin bad this morning? it looked untouched by plows.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3633
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 2PM I drove I-94 from 11 Mile down to Moross. It appears that the Macomb Co. Road Commission did a great job of getting the freeway cleared and dry by 2PM.

When I came around the loop near 8 Mile (Macomb/Wayne border) I almost lost control of my vehicle (as did a lot of other folks) because suddenly when I hit Wayne County I-94 was awful... slush covered roads with huge swaths of slush between the lanes... at 2PM today!!!

I had to get off at Allard Rd. because there was already an accident near Moross Rd., no surprise there, compliments of the lousy job that the Wayne County Road Commission did on I-94 today.

MCRC - A
WCRC - D-

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprisingly, snow removal is one of the most (and best) coordinated jobs among the various agencies in this region.
http://www.rcocweb.org/home/se msim.asp?page=what

Plow drivers had a tough go at it the past 24 hours. The storm was relatively cold and windy, so the trucks were not able to presalt the roads yesterday afternoon.

From what I saw, most waited until a couple of inches of snow had fallen to start salting so the salt would stick.

75, 696, and Woodward were pretty clear by 3 o'clock this afternoon.

Another thing that surprised me--everyone in my neighborhood had ~6 inches of snow on the ground, but barely any on any roofs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.