Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Visteon to build $35 million Highland Park plant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 571
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visteon to invest $35 million in new highland Park plant

February 13, 2007

By JASON ROBERSON

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Visteon Corp., an auto supplier of interiors and electronics, said today it will spend $35 million to build a manufacturing plant in Highland Park.

The plant, which creates 353 new jobs, will make interior components and serve as a regional manufacturing facility, providing parts to sequencing centers throughout the Midwest.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070213/BUSINESS01/70213039

(Message edited by thejesus on February 13, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if this is good or not. More of the same eggs in the basket. And this particular egg seems to have problems constantly. But I guess its better than nothing.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly...creating 353 jobs can't make Highland Park any worse off than the place already is, but it would be nice to get a company that doesn't seem to have one foot in the grave

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visteon was in a LOT more trouble a couple of years ago than they are now. They have moved away from Ford as much as possible and have diversified their clients to include other domestic and foreign brands. A few much needed jobs for HP and Detroit

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8295
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the case of HP any eggs are better than no eggs.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article link above doesn't seem to be working... try this one:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070213/BUSINES S01/70213039

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And even if they blow up 3 years after the project is done. Atleast there will be a state of the art facility in HP.

All they have now is the old Model T. that is not too enticing for would be companies

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5515
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!! MORE JOBS. I wrote to all that Granholm is staying the course.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news! :-)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11246
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Van Buren-based supplier received a 7-year, $1.73-million single-business tax credit from the Michigan Economic Development Corp., and the city of Highland Park proposed a 7-year, $4.5-million tax abatement to persuade the supplier to build in Michigan.

Governor Jennifer Granholm said Visteon’s decision means her economic plan is working.

So her economic plan is to continue to give huge tax breaks to companies to locate their manufacturing facilities here? Funny, because she blames our current economic condition on manufacturing, yet in the same breath states that projects like these are proof that her plan is working. I thought the plan was to diversify Michigan's economy and to give tax breaks to companies that will do just that.

Let's hope this plan works out better than her other plan, where Visteon's IT HQ was to relocate downtown. The city sold the land for $1. I know it's in a renaissance zone as well, but anybody know if incentives went with that deal as well? At least Visteon is stuck paying for their 10 year lease until they can sublease it, yet still, why would anybody in their right mind go back and give big breaks to a company like this?

Lastly, does anybody know the details of "this plan" she speaks of? As the recruiters I talked to today seem to inform me that nothing much has changed in months, jobs are still just barely trickling in.

Supersport

Post Number: 11247
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This must be part of her plan on crime.

quote:

WASHTENAW COUNTY, Mich. -- Fifty prisoners are expected to be released from jail prior to their release date because of overcrowding.

The prisoners have been convicted of armed robbery, domestic violence, and some from Operating Under the Influence resulting in death.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/11000839/detail.html

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9213
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, if those tax breaks means bringing in companies and new jobs then that is a good idea. Every other state is offering the same damn thing! If Michigan doesn't play by the new set of rules it will lose everytime.

Shouldn't you be glad about this?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the chances, do you all suppose, that these new jobs will employ people that live in Highland Park?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slim to none.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So basically the only good news for Highland Park is that they will collect a bunch of money in taxes from this development?

Supersport

Post Number: 11248
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Van Buren-based supplier received a 7-year, $1.73-million single-business tax credit from the Michigan Economic Development Corp., and the city of Highland Park proposed a 7-year, $4.5-million tax abatement to persuade the supplier to build in Michigan.

Not sure if it'll be "a bunch" after their 7 year, $4.5 million tax abatement. Don't get me wrong, this is good news! My only complaint is that she regards this as "part of her plan." I thought the plan was to diversify the economy of this state, as for the past 50 years banking on manufacturing continues to fail. As mentioned, I be shocked if very many people hired actually reside in Highland Park.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS-
There were NO new jobs going to be created with the Kennedy Square lease. They were simply moving IBM IT workers from another location. They have subleased their space

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visteon and Highland Park: two struggling parties...but hopefully this will be good for both. Nice to see something which creates jobs in the inner city.

Supersport

Post Number: 11250
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where have you heard that they subleased it? I read something just earlier today stating that the portion Visteon was to use is still up for lease.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From within Visteon I have heard that they are currently paying the lease, and have subleased a portion of the space. They are in negotiations to lease the rest, and its possible (though unlikely) that they may move some of their own ppl into the building if nothing else at all.

Visteon was never moving its own employees in the building. It was going to be IBM workers that they had contracts with.

The building would never have been built within Visteon, and those construction jobs wouldnt have been created so we can look at it that way hah :-)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Companies that take these incentives and move in should be required to refund it if they so choose to move out.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 969
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be cool if they put this in the old Model T plant.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trouble with the old Model T plant-it's falling apart. Used to work in Highland Pk & my employer had a warehouse there- the whole place is the pits. The best thing would be to clear the land for new construction.
If some jobs come to HP it can't be all bad.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be better news if it were a profitable company that was in no way connected to the dying auto industry. But i suppose for the short term, which seems to be the way in which politicians and businesses view the big picture in Michigan, it is better than nothing, right?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6160
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine that this will be built in the Oakland Ave. industrial park, on the old Chrysler land, vs. a stand alone new plant like the Budco one.

Has there been any word of where it will be?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another way to look at it, most manufactoring jobs are being filled in other States or countries- I think it is great to see some stay in MI and especially a place like HP.

Good news!

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What are the chances, do you all suppose, that these new jobs will employ people that live in Highland Park?

What are the chances there are five qualified candidates in Highland Park for any of the jobs?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 518
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, seems to me that is doesn't benefit HP at all! No chance that those in Highland Park are going to be hired and the facility isn't paying taxes to Highland Park for several years, so is there any good news in this event?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.