Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Redone JOE « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the JOE last night for the Red Wings Game. ( they won ) I haven't been there in like 2 years and it looked like they had fixed it up. The bathrooms were cleaner and nicer. The lobby type areas with the food had like a log cabin type feel and it looks cleaner and nicer all around

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They turned some of the men's bathrooms into womens. My girlfriend came out wondering why there were urinals in the women's bathroom.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...why there were urinals in the women's bathroom.

It's a thoughtful touch that caters to those women who feel it's SO trendy to be "bi."

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or its for the women who have quite had the surgery yet.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My girlfriend came out wondering why there were urinals in the women's bathroom."

That's just the logical result of the womens' rights movement...Equality NOW!!!

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not redone. just a cheap make over before they announce the building of a new rink.

where will it be?

look next to hockeytown across the freeway.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 467
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think that north of I-75 as opposed to behind the Fox Theatre is looking better and better.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to JLA at least 10 times in the last three months. I think it is looking shabby. Some of the seats around me were torn and my feet were sticking to the floor beneath my seat. I noticed some peeling paint in the rafters. I notice on Saturday that there was only a fraction of ushers compared to a Wings game. It got kind of annoying because people were walking up during the game, blocking the view. That's not allowed during the RW game. Maybe that's one reason why college hockey tickets are so much cheaper

Croweblack

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illitch got caught a couple of years ago when he was slowly buying up parking lots behind the Fox.
He was using front companies to do the purchases.
The parking lot guys found out and tripled the price for their lots.

(Message edited by croweblack on February 12, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, I'm not in the parking lot management business or ownership. So what did he get caught doing that he wasn't supposed to be doing? Buying parking lots couldn't have been the illegal part, right?

Croweblack

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I meant "caught" as in the people he was buying the lots off of found that it was Illitch buying the lots. Once they knew it was illitch their asking prices skyrocketed, making it impossible to buy the lots one by one.

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lately I have been thinking the area North of eastern Market would make a great location for the new JLA. Every Saturday I visit the market, and if you drive up Russell to Mack (look northeast from here), there is really nothing there. It seems to me that this area is prime for something of that size, it's accessible to both I-75 and I-94. This area also would not break up any major neighborhoods, or require moving many existing businesses. As long as they didn't ruin the market, I think it would be great. A new parking structure could also serve double purpose, as it could (possibly) be used for Ford field. Just a thought, but a quick look at Google sattelite shows the area I'm talking about: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie =UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q = (the green arrow is Berts- look Northeast of there)

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOPS, sorry the link doesn't work. Berts Adress is 2739 Russel, that's where I searched from.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In conjunction with the supposed re-development of the market area--I could definatly see that working. Get some hockey tailgaters out there, Vivio's is bouncin', Bert's having winter barbeques, Flat Planet Pizza serving it all out...Kinda brings a tear to your eye, it's so damn poetic.

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Charlottepaul may be right. Mr. Ilitch bought the Hotel Eddystone and probably has accumulated more land in the southern end of the Cass Corridor. Look for the new hockey arena to be bounded by the streets of Temple on the north, Woodward on the east, I-75 on the south and Cass on the west. Just don't touch the Comet Bar and I'll be okay with that !

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.