Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bill Bonds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother in Germany ran across this old clip of Bill in his prime. Quite the wordsmith.

http://www.videovat.com/videos /2108/bill-bonds-news-outtakes .aspx

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no offense man but it's been posted so many times

Blaw82
Username: Blaw82

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds rules though. That is one guy I'd love to drink with!!!

Ewo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You probably wouldn't be able to keep up!

Blaw82

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably not. After about 27 drinks he would pull out his liver, ring it out, and just keep on going. The white's of his eyes would be yellow before he gave up on a drinking match!!!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Bill at the Rite Aid at Woodward and Sq Lake last December. Man, he looked hit, but pretty spry (spring in his step).

I said, "Mr Bonds! Hi I'm a huge fan of your's!"

He said with not much energy, "oh thanks."

I said, "I really wish you'd get back on the evening news...it's not the same without you. Detroit television needs you!"

He got so happy...then said, "Why thank you so much! Maybe I will! You have a great holiday!"

I called all my friends I was so excited...I know I'm a loser.

Poor 'ole drunk. Love him though.

Blaw82

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He says "Maybe he will"? Like it took a chance meeting by a fan in Walgreens to sober him up enough to think about having a career? I love it!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was being sarcastic. I don't even think Gardner White would hire him again.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now he is doing commercials for Sam Bernstein.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but Better-Maid would..........

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

memories: Bill Bombed doing his John Travolta impersonation on top of the bar at the Excalibur restaurant in Southfield, 1977-ish

Ewo

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 years from now I'm looking forward to visiting his liver at the Detroit Science Center.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman: I was in Excalibur one night and Bonds was at the bar really out of it. The TV in the bar was on and his news show came on and the announcer told the audience he was out with the flu. He never even looked up at the screen. Too bad. With his style he could still be working the news if he wanted to.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To put it in prospective....

Bill Bonds was guaranteed a Million dollars a year for life, thats the way his contract read and that is what he drank away....

regards

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billie Beer[URL=http://img129.imageshack.us/my .php?image=bondsbeerbg8.jpg

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

among barnesfoto's Detroit treasures: an old answering machine with a message from Bill Bonds regarding a photo session we scheduled. Excerpt: "barnesfoto, I want a quick shoot, I have a very busy schedule!!"

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once parked Bill Bonds car at the house of Martin "Hoot" McInerney in Bloomfield Hills. I worked for a valet firm that was hired to work at Martin's holiday party a few years back. Pretty good times, except for Bill's poor tip. =)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ewo, Thanks for posting the video again! I've never seen BB's outtakes. When I was young I thought he was the most serious, boring old person on earth. "blah, blah, blah, killings; blah, blah, blah, unemployment; blah, blah, blah......"
This video was a hoot for me!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4476
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time I remember Bill Bonds in person was at Hogan's restaurant off of Telegraph & Maple Roads back in the early 80's. I was taking a date out on a dinner and a show and got seated behind Bill Bonds and a woman in the booth directly behind me. I really didn't want to eavesdrop but he was so snockered and boisterous, one couldn't help but hear him bellowing out obscenities all throughout the restaurant.

Little did we know the "entertainment" had started before we evenmade it across the street to the movies. It was kind of tragic and pathetic knowing that here was a respected and trusted news anchor my parents' age making a total blithering buffoon of himself out in public.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill had his career-ending car crash in front of my school while we were out on recess. Didn't know who it was at the time but I ended up finding out a few years later that the imbecile who crashed into the telephone pole was 'that one guy on the news.' He's also hit on my mom with no luck. Poor guy, gotta love 'im.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who's claim to fame was getting into a fight with Bill at some Oakland County bar.

He did the news better than anyone. Although Dana Eubanks was pretty good too.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do we love Bill so much? I know I grew up watching him and still miss his "style." I especially loved watching him go after someone in an interview when he knew he had the goods on them. Now all of the cable news dorks do it. Not groundbreaking anymore.

BTW - the Detroit Science Center will have his toupe on display, not his liver.

We still love ya, Bill!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Bill at Somerset Mall a couple weekends back. Man, did I do a double take. His hairpiece was as bad as ever.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably been posted before but what the hell...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cCmgjAvE1CM

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all respect for the man, here are some of his better videos:
http://www.billbonds.net/video _audio.html
His Orin Hatch interview is a classic.
I worked with Billy for 4 years in the early 80s. Without a doubt the most professional broadcaster I had the pleasure of working with. He had his problems, but who doesn't.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His toupee will continue to live long after Bill passes and will probably collect a pension from WXYZ months after poor Bill is gone. I think his liver died in '92, right?

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I interned at Channel 7 for a short while not too long after he left the station. I heard some wild stories. One that sticks out was that he had old uncashed paychecks just piling up in his desk drawer...must have been nice...

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell you I would trade him any day for the pedestrian posers that exist where I watch - !
Bad sentence but I am sure you get the drift....these people cannot pronounce, don't know if Kansas is east, west, north, south, couldn't tell you a Province if their life depended on it, and they live to make someone's life a messy gruel.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To put it in prospective....

Bill Bonds was guaranteed a Million dollars a year for life, thats the way his contract read and that is what he drank away....

WOW,Chuckles.

Hard 2 believe that this is the same Bill Bonds that I grew up watching, my mother grew up watching, and my grandparents remember when he 1st came out-back in the 50s if I'm not mistaken. I'm still a fan, though in spite of the fact that someone so talented and wise would just just piss everything he worked so hard for down the toilet. You'd think by now he'd wear a better hairpriece(lol). Even Bill Shatner and Burt Reynolds stepped their games up big time on that note. Besides, U can have hair 'regrown' nowadays. Anyway, it would be nice to see him on TV once again-4 old times sake. Even if he can be an arrogant ass sometimes. But $1 mil a year 4 life? I'd be content with that.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the only thing that ever impressed me about Bill when I was a kid, was his appearance in a Planet of the Apes movie. Other career highlights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ill_Bonds

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds?!?!
TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.