Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I am looking for a book « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was about a guy that later hung out a Tudges Pub in S.C.S. He grew up in the 6 and Troester area during the 40's and 50's and he speaks of Assumption Grotto and life on the east side in those days, getting into trouble and other things. He also speaks of Kathy Kelly who lived on a farm on Pumpkin Patch Lane (Kelly Road).
Oh by the way have you ever been to the Grottos cematary, it's amazing all the people buried there that have the street names as their last names Maddelein, Manning, Schoenherr, Groesbeck, Kelly and so many others.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa I used to go to Tudges! I even wrote a song about it! How old is that place?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly was called Pumpkin Hook road due to the curve near 9 mile rd. A great example of the Private Claim and Federal survey systems coming together

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3625
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a great place to see a rollover accident, which I happened to see after the fact back in early January. On Kelly just 20 ft. south of 9 Mile at that bend.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try John King Used Books on Fort St. or in Royal Oak.

James

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mentor and good friend Pierre co-founded that place back in the 50's. I've heard some hilarious stories :-)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks James

Hopefully they ship out, I probably won't be back in town until June

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.