Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Put your hand up for Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This song i guess is very popular in the UK and Holland. Its by fedde le grand(dutch dj). Why mention detroit? I love this city. http://youtube.com/watch?v=6MR ZCipxAZ0

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forget the live version check out the video

Steelworker

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohhh Ive seen the video it very nice. I heard this song when I was in a nudie bar in amsterdams redlight district. Took me a while to find out who it was. Everyone was going nutz when it came on. Me and my friend were totally confused for a little when we kept hearing Detroit being said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?s earch=&mode=related&v=uwxLwrrk K_s

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!

Steelworker

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More silly european love of detroit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7PfdyWO9wmk&mode=related&sear ch=

Steelworker

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I KEEP FINDING MORE (Should be adopted as detroits offical song for the year)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o3HQOcF5_M0&mode=related&sear ch=

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

definitely cool, though should alternate with "keep your hands up on the table".....:-)

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 847
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally cool. The trouble with Detroit -- an awesome place with great potential -- is that its stuck in Michigan -- a miserable backwater of dying industry, under-education, racisim and retro-thinking. If Detroit were teleported to Europe or even other states here in the US, it would have been rehabbed 20 years ago (or never allowed to decline in the first place.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6187
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray said: "The trouble with Detroit -- an awesome place with great potential -- is that its stuck in Michigan -- a miserable backwater of dying industry, under-education, racisim and retro-thinking. If Detroit were teleported to Europe or even other states here in the US, it would have been rehabbed 20 years ago (or never allowed to decline in the first place."

Oh, so it's Michigan's fault! This is brilliant, why didn't I think of it? (hands off keyboards, please...)

And Ray, exactly how would the Dutch, German, Italian, British or other European govts deal with preventing Detroit's decline? Please address each issue:

Race?

Riots?

Rehab?

Jobs?

Welfare?

And finally, please name just ONE state here in the USA that would have handled Detroit differently, and how would they have done it?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks, here in the mid-size town in Germany that I live in, there is also a problem of property owners sitting on parcels with the intention of waiting for a market to develope for what they own.I know of houses sitting vacant for years and are getting engulfed in trees and weeds and whathaveyou. Granted, not nearly on the same scale as the D but it starts somewhere. There is also a trend to start moving bigger retail out of the city where parking is atrocious, to the "suburbs" if you will. I told my wife that this all seems pretty familiar and until I explained that such was a factor in Detroits` decline, nobody was able to understand why I was against the "progress".

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great! I've always wondered what the "real" international impression of Detroit is, beyond the assumptions and the musings.

When i was in London two summers ago there was a nightclub called Detroit.
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/re view_1525.html
http://www.timeout.com/london/ bars/reviews/1669.html
(Very weird place..nothing to do with Detroit...more like a lit up salt mine below our city...anyone been?) Got a free drink too when i could prove i really was from Detroit!! Plus they LOVE Motown...ever pub house i went to always had some sort of Supremes song or classic Stevie Wonder, or Temptations song on their rotation. Not to mention it taking up half of their Juke Boxes. Whenever they'd come on, every one along...perfectly!

Anyone else have any international Detroit love stories?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Canadians typically love Detroit. Windsor doesn't count, but I'm sure there's lots of international love there too (for as domesticated as they are) ;)

Oh except for the Customs Agents. They're asses on purpose.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very popular over there.

In July 06, I was visiting very extended family in Amsterdam. We were talking about where we were from, I said Michigan (they have no clue of course having never been to the US before) but then I said it's near a big city named Detroit where they build cars, and they knew about Detroit and ran over to find me an MP3 of this song. Now I live near the D and had never heard it, but they knew it exactly. Ironic. :-)

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

problem is put your hands up in detroit is not the original from what I hear.. From my sources.. They say it's a remix without permission from the original artist.. But I need to confirm my sources..

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was THE song in Paris over the summer... my cousin e-mailed me months ago telling me the crowds would go crazy when thE song would play.

Say what you want about the city and the state for that matter. One thing you can't deny about the city of Detroit is its ability to inspire musicians all across the globe. That's something to be proud of.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with Ray.

detroit has many problems, one of the problems is lack of support or interest from the burbs

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If these Europeans love Detroit so much why don't they move here and fill up some of the vacant houses?

Especially these two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fcqwA1dxnPQ&mode=related&sear ch=

Renfirst

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those two are nothing ... how about these girls, I believe they're called the cheeky girls, their name doesn't leave much to imagine ... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lX3S1f_7dI4

I love this video, and it scares me.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put your hands up for Detroit??????

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070212/U PDATE/702120390

Europeans appreciate Detroit music and what it produces more than Detroiters do. Detroit electronic music, garage rock, etc. are huge there. They even had a Detroit float in past Berlin Love parade's.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder that the track has been discussed before on the forum: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/81173.html?1157644 747

Rocket_city

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, by put your hands up for Detroit, I think they're referring to Bloomfield, Commerce, Canton, Northville, Howell, Waldenberg, and the East China sections of Detroit.

I know whenever I'm going to one of these places, I can't put my hands down!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the song is a remix of the song by ann arborite Matthew Dear.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They play this at the Landing Strip

Steelworker

Post Number: 823
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =e0mhk5qVhZM
nice euro kid celebrating detroit

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit" is still there. I've been by it on my last two visits to London. I've never been inside. There isn't anything appealing on the menu.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what this guy's story is? Why is he singing about Detroit? He doesn't sound - or look - like a Detroiter. Or even a Michigander, for that matter. My guess is the Parisian looking model types aren't from the D, either.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think most of them live off of Joy Road.

Renfirst

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rhymes,

he's giving props to Detroit for creating electronic music ...

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hand's Up For Detroit is by Matt Dear (who lives in Corktown) and the late "Disco-D." It was relased by Detroit/Ann Arbor label Ghostly Records.

http://www.ghostly.com/1.0/gho stly/ghs001.shtml

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to check this place out When I go to LA

Detroit Bar
843 W. 19th St., Costa Mesa, California; Tel. 949.642.0600
The Orange County scenesters and hipsters have made this bar just outside Los Angeles home as they dance to Brit pop, indie, and '80s hits that were popular before they were born. Don't let the expensive haircuts and skinny jeans on boys and girls scare you away, the bar actually has some pretty entertaining events. Up and coming indie bands are booked every week and a new house band takes over each month. The metro boys and made-up girls take advantage of the fireside lounge and full bar at this OC hotspot. Two pool tables, a juke box and private seating are also featured when the entertainment is too busy being concerned with how they look to really put on a good show.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.