Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Where is the WSU SOM and DMC contract? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are at T minus 3 days from the ACGME's deadline and revisit at which time their expectation was that a contract would be finalized. The consequence of a contracts' absence is the threat of decertifying all existing duel DMC-WSU sponsored residencies. I have not heard of anything being signed yet. Does anyone know if it has? Yes or no, where is the media coverage? Did I miss it?

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.med.wayne.edu/news_ media/2006/Renewal_WSU_UPG-DMC _contracts.asp

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the signed contract, Tiorted. It just says they reached an agreement. They never signed the contract. Expect an announcement soon because the 4th years who are preparing for residencies want to know before they put DMC/WSU on their wish list.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Cassie 1717...that is not the signed contract.

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Expect an announcement soon because the 4th years who are preparing for residencies want to know before they put DMC/WSU on their wish list."

Amen to that. Unfortunately for me I already certified my rank list

Ccbatson

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very unlikely AMGs are going to run to a residency with the DMC/WSU this year (maybe for many more to come). Lesser qualified FMGs (ie not the best FMGs) will take whatever they can get....welcome to the DMC/WSU

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070201/BUS INESS06/702010423/1019

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DMC and WSU-SOM continue to meet with the mediator with hope of inking a final contract soon.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A not so reassuring article on February 1st. Unless I am much mistaken, the deadline is in 2 short days and still no word on a final contract. Where is the media...are they going to let the deadline pass without an outcry? It was that outcry that got the 2 sides to come to the first agreement which, now, appears to be less than we were lead to believe.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One day until the deadline, still no news?? Anybody know anything yet? Is anyone else getting concerned?

Ortho313
Username: Ortho313

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few things from good authority:

1. The "deal" signed in November was a legally binding "term sheet agreement." It said who would remain co-sponsored, who would go to DMC or WSU as sole-sponsored, etc, and what financial support each WSU department would get from the DMC. The term of the financial support is for 3 1/2 years (clock already started). While the term sheet agreement is a contract (but only ~ 10 pages), it is not the contract (which could be hundreds of pages).

2. The completed contract is not done, and probably won't be done until long after rank order list submissions are due.

3. The ACGME knows that there is not a completed contract. As of now, they have no deadlines for getting a completed contract and no planned returned visits for them to reevaluate the WSU/DMC institution. This is likely why resolving #2 above isn't going more quickly.

4. A progress report was sent to the ACGME on February 1 to answer to the ACGME citations from the November site visit. If they don't like what they see in the progress note, or if they feel the WSU/DMC institution remains unstable (from media, resident letters, other misc stuff, etc.), they will probably return. But who knows what they will conclude, or when they could choose to come back.

The citations can be found at (click link and go to DMC/WSU Accreditation Letter from ACGME):

http://www.msms.org/AM/Templat e.cfm?Section=Resident_Physici ans&Template=/TaggedPage/Tagge dPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=36&Cont entID=2054

5. Stuff on MSU-COM expanding to southeast MI:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007702130370

6. Stuff on 5 hospital systems that could bid on Bon Secours (including DMC):

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007702140308

Comments on 5 and 6 probably go beyond the topic of this thread, though are both very though provoking in the current climate.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the ACGME was bluffing? No contract=certification in jeopardy....apparently not.

What was the February 14th deadline about? I thought the ACGME was to reassess by that date.

I am dissappointed and disheartened with the ACGME...not because I want them to decertify the programs (I absolutely do not want that), but because the lack of cosistency and strength is allowing for the slow degradation of the residency programs...perhaps a slow death, playing into Duggan's hands.

Here is how...no contract+no action by the ACGME=stagnation and uncertainty for all of the programs. Current residents' morale goes in the tank, likewise for faculty, and the quality of teaching and care falls off a cliff.

Future residents would have to be insane to choose any of these programs, or, more likely, the bottom of the barrell candidates with no other options are the only ones to apply. With this decline, patient care will become worse and worse, and good luck increasing volume in that environment.

So, shame on the ACGME for their lack of conviction and courage to do their job properly. Can we do something about it?? I doubt it, officers are nominated and appointed by a select few, not elected by members at large. What incompetence and corruption, and look at who suffers.

Jk_one
Username: Jk_one

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw your post recently but not sure what your referring to as I understand it the ACGME and WSU-DMC have a signed and executed and binding contract that continues for 3 years. The ACGME did their review and approved the executed agreement.

Jk_one
Username: Jk_one

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, not sure why keep dumping on the current residents in programs and the someone would be insane to continue with selecting programs (e.g., our peds program) which is still excellent. It degrades the overall value of your education, degree, experience and time spent here.

Not sure how the MSU proposal, from prior link, will work out for Ortho training. Interesting in terms of competing students in same environment. Will competition make both programs better? Who knows.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JK_one, there is no signed contract. As stated above, there is a "term sheet" which was announced in November. Negotiations on the final contract continue.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not criticizing the current residents, quite the opposite as they/you are the potential victims of all of this political in fighting.

If, however, said residents are uninformed of what is actually going on by choice, laziness, or denial....then i would be critical of them. Apparently you don't recognize that your career is being played with by Mike Duggan and Dean Metzler as we speak.

Under these circumstances, it would be crazy for any individual in these programs not to be concerned and prepared to change horses if/when needed. Unfortunately that is neither desirable, nor easy for most people. Better to suffer the challenges now before you have no choice and very likely no alternatives.

Even more crazy, by far, is for someone to apply for, and take a spot at one of these programs while all of this nonsense is ongoing and unresolved.

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The announcement from a dean:

At the meeting we held in January, educationally, WSU/DMC GME programs are superb and we can recommend them to WSU students unequivocally. We have signed "term Sheets" with the DMC which technically serve as contracts - and the DMC is honoring those agreements but we are still working out some important details. I don't know when the contracts will actually be signed.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said before, a very un reassuring statement. Read between the lines and it reads like this: We can't agree on a true contract, we are doing this to placate and fool the ACGME (we hope, although the residents are the real losers if we are wrong), and Duggan is intent on stealing many millions of dollars from medicare (ie the taxpayers) teaching and residents be damned.

I blame Duggan far more then WSU in this mess. But complacency is still a crime here that WSU is very much guilty of. They should be very vocal in the media to expose this corruption and defend the students and residents as it is their job and purpose doing. Likewise, theis is the purpose of the ACGME, but it seems they too haven't the courage of their convictions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.