Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New Downtown Detroit Irish Restaurant: McNarney's Public House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Opening on St. Patrick's Day (Saturday, March 17)

Detroit's Premiere Irish Pub! The web site features "McNarney's Public House, The Making Of" video blogs. Taking viewers through the process of getting McNarney's set up for the grand opening. Join proprietor, Shannan McNarney, in her journey to making McNarney's Public House your home away from home.

There will also be a sneak preview party on March 11 as McNarney's opens their doors to an "after parade" party. With special performance by Bruno's Boys.

http://www.mcnarneysdetroit.co m
info@mcnarneysdetroit.com
673 Franklin St, Detroit, MI. 48226

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that where the River Rock was at?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At one time it was River Rock, the last incarnation was Currents. It's going from a British to an Irish theme.

Don't let the scrappers know about the copper bar top. They'll strip it in no time.

(Message edited by leland_palmer on February 10, 2007)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was thinking

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, nice that it will be down there with Asian Market, Seldom Blues and Andiamo's. Is there a new restraunt area starting to serve the GM workers and future apartment dwellers?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the the new owners are there for the long run. They will be rewarded with the increasing populating in that area. They will also be well-served by marketing themselves intensely to Ren Cen workers, many of whom walk past their establishment. I'd like to see a restaurant do well there...the key will be first impressions. Good luck.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an Irish guy, I am looking forward to trying this place.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The local office population was much larger when it was Mexican (Armando's) and then Irish (Springstead's). But I hope it works.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4750
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shannon was behind the bar at Opus for quite a few years, she should get quite a draw from there.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, currents didnt last long

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome. I think it is the perfect location for an Irish pub/restaurant. No real competition in the area. Within 7 years there will be many more people living in the neighborhood, so if they are in for the long haul (e.g. insanely well capitalized) they will do great!!

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good addition for the Detroit Riverfront with Asain Village. I wish them the best of luck!!!!BTW, where i can find this place at?

Sg_creative

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Episode #2 is now up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJp Ls2NvfK0

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look and seem like honest, hardworking, passionate people. We need a lot more people like this in Detroit. I hope they make it.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why in the world would Detroit hold their St. Pat's day parade on March 11th? It should be on St. Patrick's Day, no? The 17th?

That's like holding the Thanksgiving Day Parade on the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Just weird...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 692
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Father, God rest him, always said that Detroit would be a second-tier city until the St. Patrick's Day Parade was held on St. Patrick's Day itself.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8287
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always on the Sunday before. People don't have to take off a day to work or take their kids out of school to attend. Move it to St. Patty's day and attendance and support will plummet.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?!?! I think that you are confused Jt1! St. Patrick's Day is on a Saturday. Why is that going to be a bad day for a parade? Wouldn't they get more attendance having it on St. Patrick's Day???

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why in the world would Detroit hold their St. Pat's day parade on March 11th? It should be on St. Patrick's Day, no? The 17th?

I'll tell you why. Because its my birthday dammit and I always wanted a good ol fashioned irish slam dunk get drunk on your ass kinda party and Detroit has indulged me thats why dagnabit.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 964
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By having the parade on a different day, the irish businesses in Detroit get a two-fer one in terms of support.

I'm pretty sure Chicago has their parades on different days, with one of them coinciding with ours.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8288
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What?!?! I think that you are confused Jt1! St. Patrick's Day is on a Saturday. Why is that going to be a bad day for a parade? Wouldn't they get more attendance having it on St. Patrick's Day???

This year but the parade is always the Sunday before St. Patty's.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news to see Currents fill up!

Any news on the former Cock and Bull location?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 962
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those of you who think having the Parade on St. Patrick's day itself would improve attendance have obviously never attended the parade. I always say that it is the best-kept secret in Metro Detroit as it gets little press, and no-one I know ever seems to know about it, but it is always heavily attended, and a great time.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have gone to the Gaelic League for the last five years on St. Patricks Day, and there has always been a lot of people there. I think that it would be really cool to have the parade actually on St. Patrick's Day so all of us in there could interact more and join the celebrations aside from the drinking. I Would venture a guess that the 1,000 people that come through the Gaelic League on St. Patrick's Day would want to see the parade on the morning on March 17th...

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to see a place go into that spot so quickly. (I haven't been there since it was River Rock.) More importantly, it looks like the owner is putting a lot of time and effort into making something special. With the Riverwalk and GM's planned development nearby, I really hope the place does well. I'm just sorry it won't be open when I visit home in March.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We visited Currents after the Rockin' on the Riverfront last year for Grand Funk Railroad. Not very busy for a bar so close to all the action. But I will say the rooftop bar they have is wonderful. Outside atmosphere and great band playing. Can't remember their name but played regular top 40 hits. Danced the evening away. Had to lean on a friend walking back to 200 River Place.

You are right if you don't know it's there than you will never notice it was there. Not close enough to Andrew's on the corner, or "They Say."

I wish them luck. Can't wait for the "Irish Car BOMBS' and an ice cold Black and Tan!!!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They seem to indicate that their food won't be the typical Irish Fare. As someone who has been to Ireland and relished each McDonald's meal. I'm thrilled to hear that they are going to try to knock the socks off of people with the food.

Its location near the Ren Cen will be able to support a good lunch crowd, as well as a dinner and an after work crowd.

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the parade is the best kept secret in detroit. If you are in good enough shape run the 4 mile race before it is a blast and it makes you feel better about consuming all the beer during the parade. Chicago's premier parade, not the die the river green downtown parade, but the southside parade is the same as Detroits. The sunday before st. pats day.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was the other "new" irish Pub that opened awhile back?

was it in corktown?

would have to go there but I think it was non-smoking

Sg_creative

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd episode now online.

http://www.mcnarneysdetroit.co m

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parade is on the Sunday before because of the families that attend and participate on the floats. One of the fun things about the parade is having all of your kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews on the floats. Regardless of all of the drinking that goes on Parade Day, it still focuses on the "clan." Midweek morning parades would not have the attendance. And it's already been stated, Corktown establishments make out better by having two busy days, instead of one.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, don't tell me you didn't like the shepherd's pies when you were in Ireland.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant in Corktown is Baile Corcaigh (Bally Cork) and it is a very classy place, but still comfortable and cozy. The no smoking is a plus

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont know if McNarneys is going to make it. Currents was in there,i stopped in to check it out. He couldnt make it. Hopefully Shannen can do it. Slainte!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shepard Pie I liked. Bangers and Mash was just nasty; as were the sandwiches served in pubs. I tried pizza; it was like the Appian Way crap we used to get at Farmer Jack (for those of you who grew up poor you'd know this vile nasty crap). Only thing edible I found that was on most menus was curry chicken, though every place had a different definition of curry.

That being said, I loved Ireland. The people are wonderful. If you go, don't rent a car. Pack light and take the bus or train everywhere and you'll have a lot less stress. There is something about driving on narrow streets with patterns that are 100 percent counter-intuitive to put a lot of stress on someone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.