Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ratio of small businesses to Detroit's population? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all the studies of urbanity that come up with lists and tables I wonder if there is one that shows how the city ranks to other cities in terms of a small businesses to population ratio, or per 100K people.

This ratio always struck me as the way to measure a city's vitality. Without an economic culture of small busisnesses the birth or revival an urban area is a non-starter.

This is apparent in the many low income neighorhoods of SoCal that I've been to as compared to Detroit where I lived for over fifty years. Here in SoCal every working class neighborhood street, barrio or whatever, is lined with small businesses.

Anyone who has dealt with or worked for the City of Detroit will tell you that the mayor(s) and city council members have been more focused on big ships pulling in than row boats.

If there is a said type list or table to refer to on this issue, please advise on where to find it.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was Money magazine that rated Detroit worst for entrepreneurial endeavors (start-ups per 100,000 or some such).... Sort of falls in line with the gist of your post...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the viability would be of starting up a "Detroit" store downtown. You know, the typically touristy type store you find in any city near where tourists might be staying. Detroit shirts, mugs, little models of the Ren Cen, etc... I'm not aware of one right now. Hey, maybe us forumers should pool some money and open it ourselves, the DetroitYES! Shop. :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shop here JohnLodge:

http://www.puredetroit.com/

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Pure Detroit still in business downtown?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed they are. Back to the drawing board.

Well, what sort of small business would YOU like to see in Detroit? Let's help these potential start-ups out and tell them what we want, so they know what to build. What would be successful? Where?

(Message edited by johnlodge on February 09, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting thread Al_t_publican. One would have to guess that that would be rather difficult to measure as what qualifies as a 'small business'? I suppose that there may be some company out there that has a uniform standard that they can at least use to compare between cities. But the money mag. article ranking Detroit at the bottom for entrepreneurial endeavors would probably be the closest to what you might be looking for.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about any stats but I think one of the greatest things about downtown/midtown's resurgence is the number of non-chain restaurants. A lot of innovative people are being rewarded for taking risks.

Eastern Market has a bunch of small/family-owned stores/restaurants.

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to Detroit Denby High in the '60s my major was a program called "retail co-op" where I got school credit for working in a retail store. I'm curious if that program is still alive in Detroit public schools.

I never got involved in Junior Achievement, but I'm told that it's suppose to be a good starting place small biz types.

Government and/or biz media may consider a small biz as being under 50 employees but I'm thinking of under 10 or 20 as the ones that are the economic backbone of a mixed commercial-residential neighborhood. (And notice how few developments in recent decades have commercial and residential isolated from each, thus contributing to more car use.)

One of the single most important things in running a small biz is willing to be there 40 to 50 hours a week or whatever ever it takes. I found this out after a civil service career in Detroit when I bought a small biz in San Diego.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Altpublican is right on. I lived in LA County for 25 years, moved back to Detroit (Brush Park) a few years ago. Overall, Detroit's level of small shop entrepreneurship is tiny in comparison. Except for the immigrant neighborhoods such as Mexicantown and Warrendale. In neighborhoods such as these, many small shops - typically family-owned, have reinvigorated the communities. I really believe that's at the core of what Detroit needs. Strong family structures, a willingness to postpone gratification by scrimping, saving, and working long-hours, and an emphasis on education are the keys to micro businesses.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see some more retal clothing shops downtown. Quality grocery stores. And a few more liquor stores (sarcasm).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.