Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Books you'd like to see about Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4009
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any Detroit-related topics not written about? Maybe there is a certain aspect of Detroit architecture or culture that hasnt been properly documented? Maybe there is a certain bio not yet available?

For me, it's the Indian Village Arcadia book...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like a definitive book on Detroit's old movie houses. I'd also like to read Sonny Eliot's autobiography.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wanted a book about what's underneath Detroit (other than the salt mine).

Patrick

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wanted to write an Arcadia book but obtaining vintage images was the main roadblock. That and no time due to Grad School.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A book on Detroit's gospel history. There are bits & pieces but nothing definitive.
Likewise, Detroit's blues history. Again, there is good material (more about blues than gospel I think) but a strong researcher/writer is required to fuse it together.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

golick--according to the article in today's Freep on the exhibit opening at the Detroit Historical Museum on Detroit's old-time movie houses, Arcadia Publishing came out with a book on "Detroit's Downtown Movie Palaces" last November. That might be a good starting point.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean a real book, not an Arcadia book.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Ed...yea Arcadias are wonderful picture books but are not havens for detailed research about the venues, their owners, social context, etc - nor are they intended to be.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one just about every Detroiter or Detroitphile would want to read...

Detroit Lions: 21st Century Super Bowl Dynasty

Or...
Year of the Lions: The Season Detroit Finally Won the Super Bowl

I would settle for...
Year of the Lions: The Season Detroit Finally Got Into the Super Bowl

Patrick

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes Ed, but they are by far the most read or "viewed" Detroit-related books out there.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 509
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to check this one out. A fetching read indeed!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hour Media's book publishing division has made some cool books about Detroit. The Way It Was is a collection of the last page of every issue of Hour, which is an old picture of Detroit with a caption underneath explaining what was going on at the time. Many of the images are from the Burton Historical Collection. There's more Detroit related books too. Have a look.

http://www.momentumbooks.com

Sorry for the blatant plug. But at least it's related to the topic.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge,
I don't read fiction.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding "untold" stories about Detroit, there is a new book out that addresses two scandalous issues in Detroit history, that of slavery in Detroit when it was under French rule, and the Cass Farm riverfront scandal of 1836-9. The book is Dark River: A Novel of Suspense by Heather Buchanan. The author reportedly spent 10 years researching it, and it's selling very well around these parts. She will be speaking at the Detroit Public Library on March 6th. The book is on Amazon.com and www.adarkriver.com .

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there one out there on all of the theatres of Detroit? I think that would be interesting if it covers the gamut.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all have wrote one here together.

DSR Streetcar Memories

Edited by Lowell

Photography and history by Hornwrecker and Mikem.

And narrated (in the third person) by Jjaba

Dodgemain, on the Jos Campau bus with a dozen pazcki

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outer Drive

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call Pinewood73! A book that shows the four overlaying street patterns of Detroit through time and what not. How many other cities have that interesting scenario?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A full compendium of street names and their histories. We're familiar with many, like John R, Cass etc. But who were the Dequindres, St. Aubins or Linwoods, for instance? A one-stop reference with each family's place in Detroit history would be extremely fascinating.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a very good book about all movie theaters in Detroit and its surroundings. It's called Motor City Marquee. I have it. Not many pictures but a lot of information laid out in a reference book style. It's just a bit dated since it only goes up to 1992.I am an admirer of old movie theaters as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Ci ty-Marquees-Comprehensive-Refe rence/dp/0786411430/sr=1-2/qid =1171091341/ref=sr_1_2/002-386 9112-8332845?ie=UTF8&s=books

Ed_golick

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motor City Marquees is a start, but the author missed a lot of theaters.

The_rock

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

golick's tough to please. Suggestions fall on deafened ears. I look foreward to reading his own publication.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock,
Arcadia books are typically a photo or two per page, with a couple of sentences under each shot. I think a subject like Detroit's old movie houses deserves more.
Recommended Detroit books by hard to please Golick- Detroit Across Three Centuries by Richard Bak, Rockin' Down The Dial by David Carson, Grit, Noise and Revolution by David Carson, W*Y*X*I*E WONDERLAND by Dick Osgood, From Soupy To Nuts! (which I contributed to) by Tim Kiska and Hudson's- Hub of America's Heartland.

Rock, check out my website, www.detroitkidshow.com, if you have an interest in early Detroit TV. I'm also working on a book project, and will keep you posted.

The_rock

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, gistok, I can see why you are a little picky!!You are really into it. Very interesting website ,too.
I recall when Dick Osgood over at WXYZ-TV hosted a half-hour tv show called "Starlight Stairway" ( or Staircase). Each week he had aspiring entertainers from the local area who hoped to someday make it to the big time. Singers, dancers etc. I believe that Osgood lived til he was in his '90s, and he sure had a grand recollection of the entertainment industry in Detroit.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not gistok, but thanks!

Dick Osgood's show was called Starlit Stairway. He lived to be 98.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3622
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone mention my name?

Ed_golick, check out my book.... it has 1,265 pages... and I didn't scrimp on words! :-)

http://www.geminisystems.net/l ego/

The_rock

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry---golick is golick, gistok is gistok, and the _rock is screwed up. 98, heh? Something to shoot for.
I had a high school buddy who appeared on Starlight Stairway. He also got on the Original Amateur Hour. He was a tap dancer. Talented guy.
My early tv days were spent watching Detroit-based George Perot and his World Adventure Series, Johnny Slagle and (Pat Deshonge ?) from their studio on WXYZ-TV, Howdy Doody ( Channel 4, I think, sponsored by Colgate toothpaste), and watching wrestling from the State Fair grounds with Paul Williams at ringside who would crunch peanuts into the microphone as the wrestlers squeezed each others hands.
Movie houses in Detroit were the big thing for me in the 50's. Not just the downtown palaces--don't forget the Mercury up by Precious Blood parish,, and the Varsity ,kitty-corner to U of D,
SUBURBS TOO-Birmingham and the Bloomfield in B'ham, Radio City ( I think thats the name) a big theatre in Ferndale near Woodward and 9 Mile, the Royal Oak, and at least 7 theatres in Pontiac ( Orpheum, Strand,State. Oakland, Huron etc. etc.)
When you do your book, throw in a few of those neat old suburban theatres. Put me down for a copy.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Good luck with your Lego price guide.

The_rock,
Johnny Slagle's partner was Pat Tobin. I think you've got her mixed up with Jean Dishong.
My book will be about early Detroit television. I know that there already are two Detroit TV books out there, but I have a different angle.
I'd love to own a coffee table book on Detroit area movie houses with lots of color photographs.

The_rock

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go---Johnny and PAT. And I was thinking of Jean Dishong, whom as I recall was also a tv celebrity. Johnny and Pat sat at cluttered desks and had a large fish tank behind them.(Sponsored in part by "Mad Man" Muntz TV).
And I trust that Gistok's influence with the National Model Railroad Association will assure an awesome LEGO model train display this July at their national convention in Cobo Hall.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see "Shadowing Parducci:The Life and Works of Detroit's Master Architectural Sculptor" come to print. eeeeek

Luv313
Username: Luv313

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see a couple Arcadia books covering the Church's of Detroit and Firehouses of Detroit. Also some other books highlighting other industries of the city, including railroad cars, semi-trucks, potato chips, stoves, and the maritime industry (shipbuilding).

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just another fyi, when I was still in print/publishing, my contact at Oxford University Press in Oxford - he and 32 of his friends came to the US for a tour of the old theatres in Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago.....

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 985
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good book on Detroit theatres is "Opera House, Nickel show and Palace" by Andrew Craig Morrison
(architecture historian) published as a stapled together 8-1/2 x 11 "booklet" by the Greenfield Village and Henry Ford museum in 1974. It isn't perfect, there are a few errors and omissions, on the whole it's a great listing, and interesting to read through today to see what was still open/standing as of 1974 compared to today. I loaned my copy of this book to Stuart Galbriath when he was researching his "Motor city Marquees" book. He didn't know it existed.
Stuart covered a lot, but missed a lot--but he did return my book!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.