Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Whitney restaurant to close « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whitney restaurant to close

Elegant Detroit fixture shuts doors on Feb. 18

February 8, 2007

By SYLVIA RECTOR

FREE PRESS RESTAURANT CRITIC

The grand, pink granite Whitney restaurant on Woodward Avenue, one of Detroit’s most beautiful fine-dining venues, will close Feb. 18 after a 20-year run.

Its owners announced last spring the restaurant was being sold to a Rochester Hills public relations executive, Bud Liebler, but employees believed he planned to continue operating it largely as it was.

“We were notified last week to stop taking reservations after Feb. 18, because … the new owners were taking over on the 19th , and they would be closing and making changes and renovations,” private dining manager Suzanne Gormely said Thursday.

Announcing the decision now gives customers a chance to revisit the elaborate dining rooms where so many celebrated the milestones of their lives, she said.

“We’ve done so many, many weddings and special dinners, that we kind of feel people might want to come back again,” she said. “The Whitney, as it is now, is gone after the 18th .”

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /artikkel?Avis=C4&Dato=2007020 8&Kategori=ENT08&Lopenr=702080 31&Ref=AR&template=printart

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's a shame... Hopefully the new ownership doesn't change it too much. That bit about attracting a sporting crowd to the Third Level bar frightens me a bit.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only keeping 3 of the 45 people currently on staff, damn. I wonder how far the new owners are actually gonna scale down the place. I hope it still has some class in the end.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to hear the Whitney is closing. The Whitney and its "sister-restaurant" Van Dyke Place,which shuttered its doors some time ago, represented truly fine dining in Detroit.
Hopefully, the Whitney, under its new management, will reopen and remain a venue for elegant dining.
Somehow, I don't look on the sports' bar crowd as wanting to wear ties and coats.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit, I've only been once for dinner and it was with Supper Club (half a dozen times for cocktails at the bar).

I had a very bland meal and passable service. The interiors for the dining rooms we were in seemed a little shabby.

I'm extremely sorry when anyone loses their jobs...so this isn't a happy thing. However, I feel a change is in order there. It needs to be brought up to better levels, deferring of course to architecture and original details, to give it more of a luxurious and "special" feel. To me...it's tired and worn out.

Don't see this as a totally bad thing...it's a new beginning. Hopefully.

(someone slap me in three months if they reopen it as a dance club or something horrible)

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, if they're talking about making it "downscale" and attracting a sports crowd there isn't much intention of leaving it as a place for elegant dining. The article is rather clear on that point.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Closing & renovating means the Whitney is gone for good. What good is history if they keep changing it? so sad...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. If anything the place will be dumbed down even further. Well, most likely the ghosts in that place will get pissed off and chase the new owners out.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the new owners have a lot of class (not). They will probably try to turn it into a typical suburban type restaurant/bar, because thats probably all the new owners know how to do. It will not last long. Seems there are so few people in this area that understand fine cuisine and the serving of it.

Quinn

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's not from the horses mouth...the article says she "Thinks."

I can't imagine that place being downscaled...what's the point? Like I said, slap me if it reopens as something horrible. I'll regret saying it was shabby.

Maybe Wayne State should have purchased it for something.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad--mrs.56Packman and I had our wedding reception there in 1998. They spelled Dick Kughn's last name incorrectly "Kuhn". The Whit staff was our caterer when I worked at Carail, and they are a fine bunch of people. I can't see having an elegant dinner when the sounds of cheering erupts whenever some team scores. Might as well complete the whole picture and make a three-story Hooters out of it.
I refuse to eat at Hooters, their food apparently causes baldness.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Hooters, I heard they were going to put in a drive-thru and sell fancy coffees and donuts.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually saw a strange car out front the other day. I didn't think too much of it but they were probably there to get the place ready for the new owners.

work car

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11224
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I have a $100 gift card I need to use by Feb 18th then it seems.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8271
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dislike the headline. This implies it is closing for good, not temporarily.

Seeing that we live in a short attention span world I suspect a lot of people will just read the Whitney is clsoing. While true it is not completely accurate to the entire situation.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick Kughn owned the place more as a hobby than anything else. (The only difference between men and boys is the prices of their toys.)

It probably never made any money, or possibly a little less than 1% on sales when it did. Nevertheless, it was an excellent restaurant .

Jim and Mary Lark started the Lark years ago, after having sold their real estate for many millions. I think the difference between the levels of success between the two restaurants is that the Larks are involved in every aspect of their business, every day, and love the culinary arts above all else. Kughn was more of an absentee owner and that my have contributed to its closing.

Everyone should be happy that something else is going in there right away, regardless of the nature of the business, rather than having another more or less single purpose difficult-to-market building vacant in Detroit.

I wish the new owner well and hope to patronize the place occasionally once it opens.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3613
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well maybe it's now time for another new top end restaurant... "THE CHATEAU" (Hecker or Hecker-Smiley sounds kind of low brow).

Since this restaurant will no longer be high end, maybe the Hecker-Smiley Mansion should make a go of it as a fancy eatery, especially since it's for sale. It is slightly more palatial than the Whitney, and more spacious.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Jt1, the headline writer was stupid.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But the restaurant itself will remain, and it will not become something so left field as a sports bar."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070208/UPDAT E/702080457

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It truly seems to me that the new owners bought the place to improve it. There doesn't seem to be many reasons to be negative about any of this. Sounds like all good news to me and just a poor way of phrasing the title of this thread.

Quinn

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"We have not talked to a single waiter yet," Liebler says, "and I hope we keep all of them."

It's like reading about 2 completely different topics between those 2 articles.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to someone who works there recently. Apparently they are asking everyone to re-apply for their jobs. Not a bad idea from a business perspective.

Gistok

Post Number: 3615
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, I agree... looks like the Freep did a poor job on that story.

Dialh4hipster... that does make business sense. But apparently the Freep writer doesn't comprehend such a notion.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bottom line is we have to be scared that they're going to go the same route as Carl's near to MotorCity... I got booked to play there and unbooked a thousand times... once they try to go the middle road they end up looking disorganized and confused... this is a DETROIT LANDMARK and WE SHOULD NOT LET IT FALL BY THE WAYSIDE! I mean... I don't have the money to dine there but I have the musicality, as one of Detroit's musicians, to make this a relavent place... we can't let this happen...

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the News this morning "The Whitney's not closing, just greeting the new owner".

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077020903 09

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...Rochester Hills public relations executive, Bud Liebler..."

The initial article could qualify as a public relations disaster for Mr Liebler.

The Whitney is an elite restaurant and needs to remain that way. It isn't 'Champs' or 'Fridays' and it never will be. We need a place for the well-heeled to gather on a frequent basis in the CoD, and The Whitney has long been that place.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We need a place for the well-heeled to gather on a frequent basis in the CoD

Why- they can't bear to rub shoulders with the regular people?

On topic- anyone have any pics of the inside?

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dudes, me and the bros need a place like Scandal's where we can throw back some brew-skis. I hope they have fried appetizers and some big screens.

Kidding! Seriously, Quinn's rendering of the new Whitney just made my day.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm offering a significant reward to the first person who is able to find an article in the online edition of the Detroit News without at least one spelling error.

How embarrassing.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4739
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much?

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Quinn, you are a genius. VERY funny.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoshua: Then why is it going to close if there's such a need for such an upscale place?

The first rule of business. Find a need and fill it. Second, 3rd, 4th and 5th rules: AT A PROFIT.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdwoldcity: It's going to 'close' because the owner is retiring. That doesn't fit into the typical business model rule.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit bill- You hit the nail on the head! 90% of people in this area are clueless. The yuppies want to feel special but not pay a lot. Any restaurant name that can be tied to rochester of birmingham is a instant hit. Most yuppies couldn't even tell you the name of good steak other than "top sirloin" Pre-made pasta and canned sauces also please this crowd. Just have quick service and a drawn out menu that contains little. As long as their is a sprig of parsley on the plate and a menu with big words yuppies love it.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd, it's not closing as has been stated prior. My friend works there and I know what's happening. The new owner is seeking more consistent traffic and a more diversified customer base. The Whitney is very profitable. I simply believe that its clientele and the frequency of their visits can be expanded by enhancing what they already do. People go there due to its being unique.

Jacob_marley
Username: Jacob_marley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting the Det news article quotes Liebler as refuting the sports bar idea. But the Private Dining Manager who the quote is attributed to must have gotten the word from somewhere.

Sports bars have their place, and it is a common solution that a lot of places have gone to, because the sports "demographic" is so large. Personally I do NOT go to bars to watch TV, I can do that at home. And I definitely don't want to see *that* causal of a crowd if I'm going to a *true* fine dining restaurant in a suit or jacket and tie - and paying for it. What a shame.

(Message edited by jacob_marley on February 09, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks as if Dick Kughn is shedding all his toys. He got rid of his Car Rail on Grand River in Rosedale Park some time back. I drove past it just yesterday and the for sale sign is still on it. I have no idea who would buy it.

Back in the '80's I attended a bachelor party there. "The only difference between men and boys is the prices of their toys" never had a better exemplification. His famous 100+ car collection, allegedly the most valuable private collection in the world, was combined with bowling alleys, pool tables, bar and his model train collection that filled the walls and was said to include a copy of every train ever made in the USA. [He later bought the Lionel company.] In the back his massive tail-gater Winnebago, with UM colors on it, was parked.

When the partiers started bowling, shooting pool and partying, he called off the party. I guess his toys were for looking at but not touching. [And nobody got interview the strippers in the Winnebago. :-)] Party over, everybody go home.

When the adults with the spreadsheets take over, it is a different game. No profit, not play.

I'll give him his due, however, he was colorful.

56packman

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not dead you know, just looking to simplify his life.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoshua: I am very skeptical re: the alleged profitability of the Whitney. Generally, when profitable businesses are sold, the purchaser wishes to maintain or improve that profit, usually by continuing the business in its proven profitably mode. That's been my experience.

Of course, I guess the purchaser may feel that he can run a more profitable operation by changing the nature of the business, which happens occasionally. In this case, the owner had little to do w/ the day-to-day operation of the business, so his retirement would not have diminished the ability of the new owner to carry on a profitable business w/ existing staff.

Anyway, it's a unique building. Let's see what happens. I hope it's good.

56packman

Post Number: 979
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the staff is going to have to see the Bobs............

Bob Slydell

Bob #2

Quinn

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahahahahahah....awesome!

Beavis1981

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

surprise, surprise a yuppie from grand blanc was offended by my comment, and what did he come back with? big words with little content? enjoy your bloomin onion!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minor's Melodians, c.1929, near the Visiting Nurse Association bldg.

Minor's Melodians

(Message edited by jimg on February 11, 2007)

Beavis1981

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just f.y.i I haven't worked in food service since high school. I just know how to cook and know what real food is. Most in this area do not. I now sand/refinish hardwood floors. Have not had much work lately but I don't dream of a garage band or have I ever. The worst part is I don't even have to post on your forum to interact with you. That makes you vultures! Just flying around looking for scraps. Also, much like vultures you don't have the strength to kill you have to wait for somebody else to do it for you. However, I do have to give you guys credit for the who is terryh thread and the story tale time one. Those were f-in hillarious! Now your at a crossroads, you could keep this in sdypdj for continuity but it is definetly a shout out.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pleasing update!

Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who is a soon to be former server/then rehired, at the Whitney Restaurant. He told me that the whole "sportscrowd/sportsbar/nightcl ub" thing was the result of an angry Manager being layed off in the transition, being asked for comment, and it is, in fact, NOT TRUE. Pure vengance.

He's lives with one of the other managers in a House owned by some formers owners on Van Dyke, and his roommate (manager at Whitney) said, "himself, the sous-chef the bookie, and the accountant" are the only ones maintaining their job after the transfer, as well as potential re-hired servers, but they are re-interpreting FINE DINING at the restaurant.

Some plans include buying new dining furniture, hiring a new, un-affliated, fresh!, Exec. Chef from out of town to "hip-up" the traditional French inspired cuisine and to diversify the menu options including, but not verified, Full Fine dining/Dinner ($$$$) Casual Dining ($$) and Drinks and Apps. ($$) with areas of the Restaurant corresponding to their respective menus. Plus lunch and dancing.

My friend also serves at Atlas Global and he likened the new direction to a similar philosophy shared by them.

Closes Feb 18th, to reopen, 2 weeks later and I stress--NO MAJOR ARCHIETECTURAL/INTERIOR MODIFICATIONS and best of all NO SCANDALS NIGHTCLUB!! (nice one quinn!)

Let's hope everything goes as well as my friend conveyed to me. (Let's not kid ourselves folk, Im realistic.) I'll try to get some more info and will faithfully report as soon as i aqquire(sp?) it.

(Message edited by KorridorKid on February 16, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4491
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope that's the case, Korridorkid. I've only dined there a few times and it's probably by far the ritziest place in this area that I can think of. Let's hope they don't monkey too much with the great un-replacable architecture/ interiors.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised that one person can start a story that isn't true and it can balloon into all the news articles and lead to so much discussion and debate.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 765
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Korridorkid:
"...Exec. Chef from out of town to "hip-up" the traditional French inspired cuisine..."
Thanks for bringing some new facts to the thread.

I wonder if they're going to shell-out the dough for a truly innovative star chef, or settle for some flunkie who couldn't cut it on the NYC or Chicago restaurant circuits.
I'm obviously hoping for the former.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 853
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ate there on the 15th, place was relatively crowded, i did need reservations. place does need some touches here and there, but it was a great dining experiance. i will go there again, and no, they are not closing.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, "interior modifications" are limited to painting and electrical as well as new service ware and furniture options. I would imagine electrical would mean wiring the place for Plasma TV's in some rooms that correspond to a less formal atmosphere.

Lord knows I love watching the Tigers with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot and Beluga Caviar with shaved Foie Gras.LOL

As for the Chef...Crash_nyc you read my mind. To bad Chef Paul's Cuisine Restaurant in New Center is doing so well, otherwise, they should bring him back at whatever cost. Or Jimmy Schmidt of Rattlesnake--but perhaps i'm being wildly optimistic. Hoping for the best...

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Korridorkid, for the update.

I assume your facts are accurate. Just what I thought. I hate it when people say "I told you so" so I won't.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PITIFUL!!!!! And a way for the Witney Restuarant to Closed and sold it a bunch of rich suburbanites who wants to do anything they want, even turn it into a dance club.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come again?

Quinn

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please don't ask him to post again.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm almost curiously interested. Note the stress on--(almost).

Gistok

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny... "momentary lapses of brilliance struggling with reality"...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'd like to see them renovate the menu more than the building. :/
The "experience" is the only reason to go.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I'm rollin' on the floor!

Unfortunatly, I know so many people of whom that description so appropriatly describes.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4499
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Korridorkid, he seems to be the resident one though. Every village has to have its idiot I guess.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is, are they still going to have Whitney Garden Parties? That was the only time I could afford to eat there.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they still going to have the Whitney Garden Parties? That was the only time I could afford to eat there.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay-After exhaustive research with my good friend and former server/ soon to be rehired/ living with the dining manager, at the Park Bar I have fleshed out these details that are reliable and or 99.9% assured in follow through.

New owner was a marketing V.P. for Chrysler--Saw the automotive downturn ahead and bailed while he still could to continue the tradition of FINE DINING in Detroit.

I repeat, the restaurant will focus on FINE DINING with continuing French-Inspired cuisine from the Exec. Chef at Tribune Restaurant in (I can't remember where, but here in SE Mich.) Apparently the out-of-town option was too pricey.

They will NOT alter or change any structural or decorative architectural elements. They plan to paint and RESTORE the "Pink Room" to it's original colors, Cream with gold trim. (Victorians!)

Within reason, plan to powerwash and clean the dashing South Dakota Pink Granite exterior!

Garden Parties will still be a mainstay of the sumer season! But will be managed much better internally and financially, i.e.-the bartenders won't hog all the tip money, and will actually be responsible for set up and tear down of their stations.

First floor dining room will be changed into a lounge with dessert and apps. options. Two plasma screen TV's.

3rd floor offices will be converted to private, RENTABLE, lounge rooms off the dining floor. (Many more bars inserted here and there, where space allows.)

2nd floor will be excusively catering's domain, where large parties will be held.

Plan to open up areas of House formerly closed to visitors to increase overall space.

Owner will move offices to Carriage House behind building to personally oversee all aspects of customer realtions/financial soundness/kitchen quality control and output and all other areas concerning HIS restaurant. (At all times.)

All in all folks, my friend made it sound like this was the dawning of a new day at the Whitney. Gone are the financial mis-happenings, the angry catering manager and wine purveyor selling purchased wine at inflated prices to Cost Plus World Market, and sleazy floor managers skimming the petty cash at the end of a busy Saturday night to support their outrageous Coke addiction.

Here's to the new Whitney! Let's hope it bears as well as my friend promised me!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

korridorkid; could tribune restaurant mean tribute restaurant? if so, that would be great news! it is one of only two five star restaurants in se michigan. http://www.tributerestaurant.c om/

Korridorkid

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's gotta be it. I must've misunderstood him. That's even better then!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.