Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What happened to 1929 Building at Corner of GR and Lahser! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What has happened to the beautiful, large two-story brick building at the southwest corner of Grand River and Lahser that used to anchor the Old Redford shopping district??

Did it burn down, or get demoed for a gas station?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire! There was a thread on that last month or so.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Redford in flames!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took driver's training at the driver's ed place in that building. I also knew someone who used to live in one of those apartments above the businesses. They had to move a few years back because a fire in a beauty shop below destroyed their apartment.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No new gas stations allowed in the D.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just passed by there this past Tuesday and wondered what happened to that building...I obviously missed the previous thread.

I also noticed that the old main building of Mercy College at W. Outer Drive and Southfield is also gone..

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, about a decade and a half back the University of Detroit and Mercy College of Detroit merged. Now the University of Detroit Mercy is located at the Main Campus (Livernois and McNichols), except for the dental school, and the law school. UDM leased the Outer Drive campus to WCCCD's Western Campus.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm well aware that U-D and Mercy merged several years ago. I just didn't realize that the main building on the former Mercy campus had been demolished.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.