Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 20 in their 20's in the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Know any outstanding 20 year olds in Metro Detroit? Crain's Detroit [my favorite Detroit print media source - I have subscribed for years] would like to honor them. Last year's honorees, as you may recall, included forum member kbkav. The following email, which arrived this AM, tells how to nominate.
=================

Hi Lowell.

This is Shawn Selby at Crain's Detroit Business.

I'm overseeing our 20 in their 20s project this year. You might recall that we did this last year. The response was so overwhelming that we've decided to make it an annual project.

Last year you help us promote Crain's 20 in their 20s on Detroityes.com. Would you be able to do that again?

We are looking for 20somethings who have shown a knack for creativity and out-of-the box thinking.

The link for the nomination form, as well as all the other information about Crain's 20 in their 20s can be found here: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0102/STATIC/60302002

And here is the promotion text we've been using:

SEEKING UP-AND-COMERS UNDER 30
Who is the smartest, brightest and most creative twentysomething businessperson you know? Nominate him or her for our second-annual “20 in their 20s” feature to be published April 30. Unlike “40 under 40,” we aren’t looking for hard business results, budget sizes or CEO titles. We want to identify young people whose promise already is shaking up the status quo where they work.

Who had the “it” idea at your company? Examples could be the Web guru with cutting edge designs, a young researcher with a major breakthrough, the marketing whiz who isn’t constrained by traditional thinking. We want to tell their stories and help reveal the creativity in our midst. To nominate, visit crainsdetroit.com and click on “20 in their 20s” in the left-hand column under “Forms and Surveys.” Nominations are due by Feb. 26. Nominees can be no older than 29 on April 30.

Thanks!
Shawn
============

I know you folk will have some good choices.

Hey, how about 60 in the 60's! :-)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a good idea, but the underlying message smacks of age discrimination IMO. I'm not trying to deprive a young person of his or her rightfully due praise, but their is a slant by the corporate community that if you want fresh ideas you have to recruit young guys right out of college. I took an interesting class at CMU, Corporate Creativity, that preached people of any age can be creative. Like I said, I don't want to see young people not honored, rather lets do issues in cranes for people in their 30s, 40s 50s, 60s and 70s and their creative efforts. Maybe this is all ready done, I don't read that particular pub.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually find that it is quite interesting that they chose this age group; mainly because people of this age have not reached their full potential yet as I would have guessed.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, Cambrian, Crain's has done "40 under 40" for years, and the "20 in their 20's" was a new thing they tried last year.

Crain's is always profiling successful businesspeople of all ages, this is just another way to do that.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - Who remembers the email list hijacking by overenthusiastic nominees last year? That was hilarious.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember last year's group was mostly uninspiring. I hope this year's crop has a bit more "depth."

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The truth of the matter is youth is the essence of creativity. Once you are older and supposedly more wise, you being to limit yourself on what you know will work. When you are young there aren't as many limits because you don't know what they are. Therefore that is why that notion exists, its fairly accurate, Last week I was at a lecture by Michael Rotondi an architect an that was a large part of the lecture.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois the class I took at CMU was to teach mgrs to provide a workplace that was conducive to creativity. People of all ages can be creative if they are encouraged correctly. When a boss insists on fast tracking the young MBA that will send the message too the remaining older workers that they will not be listened too, so they will not venture to offer any creative ideas.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they won't be listened to because they spend to much time shooting out the same ideas over and over. I think that the idea that hiring a young person and fast tracking them hinders older workers is crazy. In all truth its about the product that you produce, who ever has the best ideas and best products is most likely to be promoted. Not every young person has creative ideas I see plenty of stale boring ideas in my studio classes and everyone is under 30.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.