Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Chrysler to cut 10,000 jobs & close 2 plants. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/0 5/news/companies/chrysler_layo ffs.reut/index.htm?source=yaho o_quote

I expected Newark. They make the Durango & Aspen SUV's. I'm sure they'll find a way to move production (perhaps to Warren Truck as the Durango is a full size SUV built on Dakota platform).

Also mentioned is the closing of a Detroit engine plant. I suspect this will be Mack Engine I, the plant that makes the 4.7L V8's for the Jeeps and the trucks. The only other engine plant, to my knowledge, that is located in Detroit is the Viper V10 plant at the Connor assembly. I can't imagine that would shut, unless it has been decided to stop Viper production. Something I highly doubt.

Now, aren't Mack I and II fairly new plants? No more than 10 - 15 years old? I'm surprised such a new facility would be shuttered. Unfortunately this means more job losses, made even worse by the fact they are in the city, on the east side, in an area already incredibly impoverished and in addition to the ThyssenKrupp closure announced last year sometime.

Guess the engine plant makes sense though. They need the 3.7L V6's. But I never understood the need for the 4.7L V8 after the new 5.7L HEMI debuted. The HEMI makes immensely more HP and torque, gets pretty much the same mileage (thanks to the MDS cylinder deactivation) and is likely cheaper to produce (made in Mexico + pushrod engine with many fewer, simpler parts than the 4.7L overhead cam design). Never really figured out why the 4.7L existed. There really wasn't any reason NOT to choose the HEMI.

Anyway, more bad news, unfortunately.
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the thread below.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.