Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Flint updates « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby, Scottr, mama_jackson, any more news from downtown Flint? Any news on those new dorms at UM-Flint? How are the First street lofts going?

I'm excited to hear some news from you guys.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent photo thread of Flint (pictures were taken Saturday)

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum 2/index.php?topic=11867.0

Milwaukee

Post Number: 726
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Wolverine, good photos.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the point that they announced the dorms, I haven't heard anything new. Actually, not too much has happened lately, but that's not surprising in the winter.

As for Wolverine's pics (yours, or did you just run across them?), the 'building on the left' that the name was forgotten is the Northbank Center, owned by UM-Flint. He is correct that the facade on the 'corner building' (First Street Lofts) is new, but is based on old photos of the building and work was just recently completed on building. It was formerly the Republic bank building and was supposed to house a republic bank branch, but i believe they pulled out after merging with Citizens Bank (headquartered just up the street). if they haven't yet, they are supposed to soon.

The picture below the Mott Foundation building has the Rowe Building dead center. As you can see, it doesn't appear to be much yet, but I believe the front facade is supposed to go up in the spring.

The 'building in the middle' of the second pic, that UncleRando later commented on, is the Capitol Theater Building. There is a video at http://www.capitoltheatrebuild ing.com/ that is most likely an attempt to secure investment in the building, but you may be interested in it.

As for other updates, the former Hyatt is once again rumored to be close to being sold. (as of Jan 18th)

In December, MEDC announced a project with the 'Wade-Trim Building Project' located in 'Shopkeepers Row', that is supposed to redevelop two buildings, and demolish a third. However, neither I nor others on the urbanflint forum have been able to figure out what they are talking about, the pieces just don't fit together in a way that makes sense.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Scottr, I'm glad to hear there are plans in the works for the Durant.

And yep those are my photos. I'm Hayward on that site.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the projects in Flint just keep rolling along, albeit just as slowly as they do in Detroit.

The Rowe Building project is behind schedule due to an unexpected problem they came across in the way they were originally constructed. They didn't tie the separating walls together when they were built forcing the developers to come up with a way the walls would be able to support the addition. They figured it out and are progressing with the project. Steel work is expected to start going up this month with facade work happening shortly thereafter.

Yeah the Wade-Trim building project has us all baffeled as to what building they are talking about.
http://urbanflint.com/forum/in dex.php?PHPSESSID=cf94ac44271a ac1b356cf11a13fdeb3a&topic=222 .0

The bus station renovations are almost done. They opened the building up to the public last month and I saw that they were getting ready to put up the "Community Bullitin Board" yesterday while I was at lunch (The trucks carrying the sign drove by the pavilion, it is huge).

As far as i know Republic Bank still has their branch in the First Street Lofts. It is slated to be closed and I think they are trying to find a replacement for that location. They have a long-term lease agreement that they signed when they gave the building to the loft people.

I hear the Hyatt deal is very close, they just don't want to nnounce anything prematurly like they did last time.

I will provide some more pictures as soon as I get another digital camera, unfortunately the old one has been lost. I spend a lot more time downtown Flint now because I just got a job at DHS at the State building downtown.

Scottr

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured that was you, wolverine. I think I had seen your profile on the urbanflint forum too, so it rang a bell. Good pics, thanks for sharing them both with us and those on the urbanohio forum. Glad I can help with some information, although I am sure others know far more than I.

I looked up some things on Atwood after your comment on the ohio forum, and i noticed something interesting - the first attempt to build a stadium in 1917 involved 'Daniel A. Reed' - who shares my last name, and my cousin's first name. Since a lot of names have been passed down in my family, I'm wondering if there is a connection. My grandfather was born ~1898, so it's possible that is my great-grandfather, or maybe a great-uncle or something. I tend to forget just how little I know about that side of my family - most interest has been on my grandmothers side, who came from one of the original founding families of Frankenmuth.

One other thing I forgot about, Milwaukee - The city filed paperwork in September to try to condemn Genesee Towers. Some reports said that was an attempt to get the owner to sell the building, and then in January there was word that the city was looking to buy it, although that was quickly denied by the mayor's office, so who knows what's going on...

In the meantime, Genesee Towers is on the new license plate. If they tear it down, will they redesign the plate?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 745
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys.

Good news about Genesee Towers. I hate that building. I know its a big building downtown, but the city is way better off with out it.

I'm excited to hear about the future of the Hyatt.

I saw Roger and Me on Saturday and it got me interested in Flint again. Flint is a great city with a bad wrap. Although I still really like the movie, I wouldn't want somebody making a film like that about Milwaukee.

Next time I'm in Detroit, I'll urge my family to make the trip up there.

I got an email from a small college in Flint. I don't remember the name of the school, but it was in Flint. I don't really have any interest in going there, but I could use that as an excuse for my parents to take me up to Flint! :-)

Scottr

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kettering perhaps? If so, that's actually a very good school.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it. Its a liberal arts college, correct?

Gumby

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Kettering is an more of a engineering focused college. The only true Liberal arts College in Flint is U of M-Flint

Scottr

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was originally GMI (General Motors Institute) although it's not connected to GM anymore. It's ranked as one of the best engineering schools in the country. If that's something you're thinking of going into, it's definitely a school to look at.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kettering is the guy who first installed electric starters and other innovations in cars. So, naturally it's an engineering school. There's a HS named for him too, but it's definitely not in the best part of Detroit, on Van Dyke south of I-94.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5500
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Flint is kicking with well kept up buildings.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but let's not forget the neighborhoods! They are a mess- the best of them have invisible scars, i.e many break-ins.
What do you use to judge a city? Conditions downtown where people work or where the people actually live?
And who is it safe for? Agile men who can fend for themselves? There's a whole different standard by which a woman judges a city's safety.
I'm a former 22 year resident, and sure, I took daily walks in the "nicest" neighborhoods but I got tired of dodging old, drunk men in the daytime.

Gumby

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the best of them have invisible scars, i.e many break-ins

I don't know how true this is. I have friends that live in terrible neighborhoods and have never had a break-in. I know several neighborhoods that have very few break-ins.

I agree that there are differences in how men and women judge safety in neighborhoods. I know that I quite often see women walking alone in certain neighborhoods without batting an eye.

quote:

What do you use to judge a city? Conditions downtown where people work or where the people actually live?

I don't think it is fair to use just one or the other to judge a whole city. What we need to do is judge the differing neighborhoods based on that neighborhood alone. Why would I call all of Flint safe just by looking at downtown, when I know for a fact that i wouldn't be caught dead (or perhaps i would be dead) in some neighborhoods after dark. It's just common sense.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually sanded the floors for a house owned by kettering university. The dean stays there now. Back when it was gmi gm would use this house to wine and dine politicians. Nixon and eisenhower were among their guests. The house is located in the westwood sub off miller rd. I believe it is known as the begole house?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.