Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Everyone's Reading 2007: "Arc of Justice" by Kevin Boyle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're all pretty familiar with native Detroiter Kevin Boyle's book "Arc of Justice," the 2004 National Book Award winner covering the Ossian Sweet Murder Trial that took place in Detroit in the 1920s.
(Historic Marker: http://www.michmarkers.com/sta rtup.asp?startpage=S0461.htm; additional info at http://detroit1701.org/SweetHo me.htm)

The Everyone's Reading program has selected "Arc of Justice" as its 2007 title and put together a full complement of programs at 17 area libraries ranging from author presentations (Boyle was in town this weekend for 3 appearances and will be back in April) to lectures on a wide variety of topics to concerts and movies as well as book discussion groups.

Check out the Everyone's Reading website at: http://www.everyonesreading.in fo/ for the full calendar of events and related information.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been reading Boyles's book with fascination and had to go have a look.

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Home
Sweet Home

Kathleen

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Pythonmaster, for the photo!! I too want to stop by and see the house and marker myself.

If you are enjoying the book, I heartily recommend that you attend one of Kevin Boyle's Detroit-area appearances in April. He's a terrific speaker: Monday, April 16, 1pm at Clinton-Macomb Public Library, 7pm at Baldwin Public Library (Community House), Birmingham; Tuesday, April 17, 2pm, Southfield Public Library, 7pm Rochester Hills Public Library; Wednesday, April 18, 7pm Canton Public Library.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a play regarding the trial of Ossian Sweet at UDM this week. I can't seem to find the link.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the info on the play:

Malice Aforethought: The Sweet Trials, February 2-18, 2007 (8pm Friday and Saturday evenings; 2pm Sunday matinees). Written and directed by Professor of Theatre Arthur Beer of the University of Detroit Mercy Theatre Company, this new play addresses the trial of Dr. Ossian Sweet, a prominent black Detroit physician charged with the murder of a white man. Famed attorney Clarence Darrow defended the Sweets thanks to funds raised by the NAACP and other civil rights organizations. Frank Murphy, who a decade later became Michigan’s governor, was the trial judge. The case remains a landmark in the civil rights movement. Hosted by the Marygrove College Theatre in the Liberal Arts Building located on the Marygrove Campus, 8425 W. McNichols Rd.

http://theatre.udmercy.edu/pla y3.html

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for those interested not only in see the play but in discussing it with the cast & playwright:

http://www.detroitsynergy.org/ projects/coffeetalks/newsitems /ossianbookplay2/

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating book. Beyond the obvious significant history the book offers what struck me strongest was how the racial policies of the time set Detroit up for the riots, the white flight and the ultimate decay of Detroit.

Further, as a white person, I found it amazing that I grew up in the city, totally unaware of the level of racism that existed. I didn't even know Rosa Parks was living amongst us. I guess, in all white Redford, it wasn't worth mentioning. (I left Detroit in 78) It makes me angry that so much rich history was denied us by those who believed it wasn't worth knowing.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not reading this, since it doesn't interest me in the least. I wish all the hype about it would go away.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boyle's book is excellent. Rich in detail, great photos, informative and very readable. I've heard Mr Boyle speak and he's a brilliant storyteller. By all means attend one of his talks.

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweettrials.udmercy.edu

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not, 1953?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with Jimg and Kathleen. Boyle is excellent. Hearing him in person is always informative and insightful.

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came up in the Burbs and this event was never mentioned in our history books. The sad truth is our city is still one of the most segregated in the country.

http://www.southend.wayne.edu/ modules/news/article.php?story id=1985

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pythonmaster, your post made me recall just how "whitewashed" my grade school history books were. I remember one spouting our gallant efforts in the Mexican-American war-- And not about the blatant land-grab it actually was. I'm also sick of the kids gloves treatment of the Alamo and the fight for Texan "independence"-- Read some of Col. Travis's letters and journal entries of that time, and you'll see how it was nothing but a big effort to bring into the U.S. another slave-state, which of course, soon happened. I hope to god I never see another made for TV "Alamo Story" type of dreck, starring (natch!) the latest country superstars.. Ugh!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't know Mr. Boyle was a Detroiter. That makes it:

Tom Stanton - 2001 Casey Award Best Baseball Book
Jeffrey Eugenides - 2002 Pulitzer Prize
Kevin Boyle - 2004 National Book Award
Paul Clemens - 2005 NY Times 100 Notable Book List

Not too shabby.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.