Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Amazing review of Detroit in Traditional Home Magazine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick up the March 2007 issue of Traditional Home Magazine. They did a great 42 page spread on Detroit. It tells me something that I have felt for a while now. Detroit is on the move for all the good reasons. It will take time but the final outcome I think will be very nice.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4699
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip.
Found the link:
http://www.traditionalhome.com /weekend_getaway/DeeperIntoDet roit_ss_1.html

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost made me cry when I read it.

Go DETROIT GO!!!!!

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, it was really nice of the magazine to feature Royal Oak and Birmingham so prominently! (sarcasm alert!)

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 356
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it comes...yes only about 15% of the slides were actually of places in the city, yes, so what?

We are a region and all these places are undoubtedly in the DETROIT region.

However, if there are some places that they didn't feature in the city that are comparable to the places listed because they were afraid of exploring the city then that's dumb. I don't know much about these "Home furnishing establishments" so I can't comment.

New2theeastside

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimmiann

We gotta think national perception here. I agree that the are some cute furniture stores in Detroit that they could have mentioned, ie the store that was from AA that moved downtown. But all anyone outside of SE MI is going to think by reading that is, "Oh that is some nice furniture"; and they are going to correlate that to Detroit.

That is a GREAT sign. Good NATIONAL media, of any form that mentions Detroit is GOOD.

Jams

Post Number: 4703
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, those readers in Charlotte, Seattle, Omaha, Phoenix, etc. will pick-up on much of this article is spotlighting places outside the City limits.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That rag primarily deals with snob appeal. It wouldn't dare show the real Detroit.

Jams

Post Number: 4704
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I'll have to bitch-slap my sister since she tells people she's from Detroit on her business trips throughout the world.

What a liar she is, since she actually lives in Taylor.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very few of the slides in the above link seemed to be of Detroit proper. However, the actual magazine has many more pictures of Detroit. I know there are several of one of the courthouses in Lafayette Park.

I didn't actually buy the magazine. I just browsed at it at Borders so I can't be more specific.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
Please don't bitch slap your sister.

There's no such thing as bad publicity and that was good publicity for Detroit and the region.

New2theeastside

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about you guys, but when I read a magazine, I read the title and the article. If I run across an address, I don't stop to think about where the place is, City or Burbs.

The fact that the article had Detroit in the title will create a 'perception' about Detroit that a lot of people don't have right now. I for one think that is great

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they should have shown some of the real stuff like
- tattoo parlors and gun shows at the gibraltar trade centers,
- nudie bars on 8 Mile,
- crack-headed zombies wandering around aimlessly,
- the several thousand foreclosed homes getting stripped throughout the metro,
- annoying kids that loiter along Loiter Way and Hines Park.

As much as I hate to agree with all of you, this article does cast a good light on the City and the Region. Too many folks out there define themselves by the stuff they have.

What a sad soul-less commentary, but it is one that folks will buy hook, line, and sinker.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 936
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm sorry

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on February 04, 2007)

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disappointing when under the name of "regionalism" we legitimize the marketing of the burbs instead of the city, perpetuating regional inequity.

Too often we use the term regionalism as an excuse for underrepresentation of Detroit.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical upscale lifestyle magazine puff--just like Hour Detroit--full of top end vendor ads and pictures of wealthy socialites in tuxes and gowns holding champagne flutes.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what is wrong with that?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 964
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing--It's just not a magazine that addresses most "walks of life" in and around Detroit. In the case of Hour, MOT-Opera House and the DIA are about all that is mentioned in Detroit, everything else is Birmingham-Bloomfield-Grosse Pointe.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman is right. It has that high society appeal to it, but it's positive press about Metro Detroit. Hour Detroit sucks.

How does the perception saying go? For every negative statement, it takes four positive ones to equal out. Where does that leave the 'D'?? About 4,000 more positive articles and maybe perception will change.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would your magazine consist of?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked with Kevin Serba at Weber's in A2 a million years ago - great to see you Kevin!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 718
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These types of stories are welcome and needed!

Positive all the way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.