Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bob Seger @ The Joe « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news for me. I refuse to go to the Palace. If there were more concerts at venues in Detroit, they would certainly get my money.

Does anyone else boycott shows outside of Detroit? Anyone else going to see Bob Seger now that he is coming to The Joe?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

???

When is he going to be there?!?

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

March 13 - tickets have yet to go on sale.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/U PDATE/702020454

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. I saw him here in Toronto last week.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just-say-NO-WAY-to-the-Palace!

Tkangas_23
Username: Tkangas_23

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats wrong with the Palace???

Does it piss you off because its in the suburbs?

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my husband loves bob seger but doesn't like the palace because of the parking.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grrr I absolutely DESPISE driving to the palace. The drive and the parking are terrible...

I saw one of his performances in Dec. at the Palace, it was great.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too absolutely refuse to go to the Palace. And yes, a big part of the reason is where it's located.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw him a few weeks ago here in Nashville! Great as ever. I can't believe they don't still have that many concerts at cobo. I thought it was a great venue. And, yea if I lived downtown, I wouldn't want to drive to Aburn Hills either. (probably would have to see Seger though.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 926
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ex motowner, like sporting events, concerts are all about the suite sales too. Cobo has no suites. Joe Louis has a few suites, but not many.

Lots could be done for Cobo Arena if folks just thought it out. I can remember going to a Grand Prix event there being sponsored by Miller. All the beer I wanted free, with a view of the cars zooming below me. It was awesome.

The point is folks want to make making revenue as simple as possible. Suites are the easiest way to turn $30 concert tickets (lets face it in most places these would be nosebleed seats) into $400 in revenues.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have nothing against the suburbs; I am just a huge believer that if given a chance, Detroit could fill the venues for concerts as well as the Palace. Granted, the acoustics may not be as good at the Joe or other places, but I truly believe that we need to keep the money in Detroit. To be honest, I don’t care if the tickets are $10 or $15 more; for the convenience of staying in my city, I will gladly pay it. What’s surprising is that I have many friends that feel the same way and they live in Ferndale and Royal Oak. Going downtown for an event or a concert just generates so much more buzz. Most people really look at it differently than fighting the traffic at the palace. Maybe it has to do with the fact that you can park where you want downtown and take the people mover, rather than parking in a great big lot outside the Palace.

I'm just surprised that there are not more concerts in Detroit. Until there are, I would rather just find something else to do.

Also, I am a big supporter of public (hopefully someday - MASS) transportation. I don't like to drive and only do so when absolutely necessary. There are no buses to the Palace other than the Pistons Bus (which I did go on and had a great time).

My motto is: KEEP IT IN THE “D”.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, how stupid is it to choose what shows you see based on what venue they use? Ya poor whiners! Miss out on a great show than, someone else will buy your ticket and the artist doesnt care. lol

Jhartmich

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo wrote:

"Miss out on a great show than, someone else will buy your ticket..."

Have at it.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11203
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does it piss you off because its in the suburbs?

It's not really that, it's the fact that it takes me about 45 minutes to get there, then when the event lets out it takes me 45 fuckin' minutes before I get out of the parking lot. The used the same mentality as the Pontiac Silverdome in their design, two entrances/exits. It's one clusterfuck of a mess, that's why I despise the place.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like the Palace much either. The parking situation SUCKS! Not that I boycott the place but I surely don't enjoy events anymore because it's at the Palace.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also refuse to go to the Palace. It's keeping me from being a full-fledged Pistons fan, too, as I have not been to a Pistons game. Its a huge arena in the middle of nowhere, 35 traffic-jammed miles from where I live, and with no entertainment/food/downtown area nearby where I can enjoy myself after making the long drive.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

35 traffic-jammed miles from where I live,

hmmmm, and the people from the 'burbs can make the same claim, no?

oh, but I forgot, its the great city of Detroit, so EVERYONE must want to drve there! lol

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah well I live right in the center of the metro area. How 'bout people that live west or south of Detroit (a good 2 million)? They have to drive as far/further than I do. Are you saying that the center of our population is in f**king Auburn Hills? I'd say that average person has to drive at least a half hour to get there.

A LOT more people want to go to games downtown because even if the game is a disappointment there is still stuff to do. The Lions sell out every game...

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, living in Charlevoix, the Palace is closer to me! LOL!

Seriously, if its someone/thing I want to see, I dont care what the venue is, I will go.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6145
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm just surprised that there are not more concerts in Detroit

Are you really serious?

Ever heard of Saint Andrew's Hall, the Shelter, Majestic, Magic Stick, the Fox and the State?

I would say there are MORE shows inside the city then there are in the Suburbs.

It just so happens the old overpriced windbags play where they can cram more asses into seats, to make more $$$.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo wrote:

"well, living in Charlevoix, the Palace is closer to me! LOL!
Seriously, if its someone/thing I want to see, I dont care what the venue is, I will go."

Charlevoix??? Why are you even here? What, no CharlevoixYES! forum?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 393
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I am the only person here who does not live in Detroit proper, why, there arent even any out of state people who post here! *rolling eyes*

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, lay off miss c

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Mr. Seger sing on a tune entitled " Ballad of the Yellow Berets" back in 1966 as a slam on the so called "draft dodgers"?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seger at the Joe nearly sold out.

Now, he has added a show at Cobo Arena.

Tickets are $65.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Weezer at Cobo in 2001. The acoustics weren't "Live Bullet" good, but it wasn't bad. Seger really should've played a show there for nostalgia's sake, let alone for the coolness factor of reliving that album.

As for Seger and the "yellow berets," lest we not forget "2+2=?", which is the greatest antiwar song ever. "GO AHEAD AND CALL ME YELLOW!!!"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport hit it right on... not only is it so far away, but you are literally trapped in the parking lot for a long time. Ditto for Pine Knob (DTE).

I live in the suburbs and Pine Knob is still a long way off. The absolute worst has to be going to a show on a weeknight with all that I-75 traffic. YUK!!

At least with all the downtown venues you have many possibilities for escape routes to avoid the traffic. And not everyone will be trying to get onto the same freeway via the same entrance ramp, like at the Palace.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, the memories that dirt road they route you out of. It's a little bit country to go with your little bit of rock 'n' roll.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.