Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Dodge the Lodge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's that time of the year and already I'm sick of hearing this phrase. How do you think this will impact the surrounding areas and Detroit? Or are you like me and sick of hearing this?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, please, please...someone come up with a new phrase for this. Is it really news worthy now? If anyone isn't aware of the situation with the Lodge, they must have been out of the country.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, I live an hour away and have only been on the lodge once in my life, and even then just the section from Cobo to 75. Yet even I am sick of hearing it already. Personally, I think it's a sign that Metro Detroit is WAY too dependent on freeways.

Scs100

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm stumped, Wash Man. Since they made it rhyme, it's kinda hard to think of a new one. I wish to God that someone would think of something. Scottr, you hit the nail on the head. We are way too dependent on the freeways if this is such a big deal.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time it was Lodgibility. Too bad they didn't do much bridgework that time or else the shut downs would be less severe.

How about "Don't bitch, avoid the ditch!"?

Scs100

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good to me. Anything can beat what we have now.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just cann't be
on the old John C!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about:

"New plans. Take public trans."

Or my own favorite:

"No pity for yous. I live in the city, foos!"

[/dork]

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be interesting to see if anybody actually does turn to mass transit in the face of the Lodge closure. That have added more Express bus's thank to money from MDOT, but it will interesting to see if anybody actually rides them.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still love the Lodge regardless!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3016
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove past the State Fair Grounds yesterday. Large gravel haulers were driving in at the southeast corner with loads of broken cement. I assume this is where the bridges and pavement will be recycled?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State Fair Grounds have been a dump for years. Oh.....you mean THAT kind of dump.....

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is going on there? A sinkhole? :-)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My company and building management downtown encourages employees to take public transit. Surprisingly, during rush hour in the CBD, you will see employees lining the sidewalks waiting for buses...Usually SMART, but hey, that's a big step/sign! :-)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What building?

Bob

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have ridden SMART downtown numerous times. They are usually always on time and the bus's are always clean. And I have never been the only person on the bus, which is one the the big complaints you hear from people who do not want to pay for it.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lodge being closed is going to mess with those of us who are musicians actively going between our homes in the city and rehearsals at the barn-like "sound stages" in southfield... 75 is hardly an alternative... I'm considering just taking Woodward and adding the travel time to my taxes... que sera sera!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live downtown and work in Southfield. The Lodge being closed barely affects my travel time when I take 75 to 696. It might be a few extra miles but the speed limit is higher.

Of course this morning will be the real test as that as when traffic volumes are at their highest.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would imagine that any way you travel the intersection of 75 and 696 at either rush hour would be slow.

Scs100

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the detour.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Greyhound lines are hurting!

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is great - this is actually what I'm writing a story about for my school newspaper..."new obnoxious slogans for 'dodge the lodge'"...if anyone wants to email me so I can quote you that would great..I'll need your full name and location...
ak8488@wayne.edu

Bob

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know how ridership has been on the new DDOT express bus's?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yet even I am sick of hearing it already. Personally, I think it's a sign that Metro Detroit is WAY too dependent on freeways.

I think it's just a sign that most of the talking heads and newspaper reporters use the Lodge to commute to their place of employment. Also, I think this is the first time that a Detroit freeway has been simultaneously shut down in both directions. The publicity about previous shut-down work on other freeways was muted by comparison.

"Rediscover the surface arterials!"

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Screwed again by old M-10"
"The Lodge is missed, Wings fans are pissed"
"I-75's a much longer drive"
"You're late for work, suburban jerk"

There's some of my ideas for a new slogan.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close it down. Fill it in. Doesn't seem to be mattering too much the last 2 days. Though cold and cancelled school may have made a difference.

I suspect the Lodge might be one of those freeways people think they can't live without, then when it is closed no abnormal congestion occurs elsewhere. Sorta like the screams when they tore down the Embarcadero Freeway in San Francisco after the 1989 quake. The calls about horrid traffic never came to be.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My slogan suggestion: Get off the John!

Potted in Ottawa.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner
Last time it was Lodgibility. Too bad they didn't do much bridgework that time or else the shut downs would be less severe.

How about "Don't bitch, avoid the ditch!"?

Scs100
Sounds good to me. Anything can beat what we have now

Truer words were never spoken. For six months I was accustomed 2 the Lodge en route to Henry Ford High School. Come 2 think of it, most of the jobs I had on the westside from day 1 I had 2 take the Lodge. 'Don't bitch, avoid the ditch'
That oughta make the front page-literally!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.