Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ferry Elementary, Hamtramck High, Kosciuszko « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else go there ?

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to St Hyacinth on McDougall. Lived on Kirby till 1978.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Ferry elementary in GP, but I doubt thats the one you're referring too.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dexter Ferry Elementary School in Detroit is located at 2920 East Palmer St. at Joseph Campau, a few blocks east of I-75 and south of I-94.

Closed in 2005, the building now stands vacant.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started school at Copernicus and attended from '69-70 (the school was then changed to Hamtramck High School) then Kosciuszko from '70-'73 (the school was changed to Kosciuszko Middle School)then Dickinson from '73-'74. I then went back to Kosciuszko from '74 to '77 and then back to Hamtramck High School from '77 to '81. I ended up graduating from the same building that I started kindergarten in. My class was also the very first class to graduate in the Community Center in 1981. Anyone remember the Keyworth Stadium graduations?
I don't feel that I got the greatest education in Hamtramck.... even though I graduated 3rd in my class. Going to Michigan State was an academic shock! However I am mighty fortunate to have had the cultural experience that I did growing up and wouldn't trade that for anything. I have many fond memories of school in Hamtramck and would love to hear other stories.
By the way, GO COSMOS!!! (haha and Kosciuszko's "K-tech Cougars"!!)

Walterwaves

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Paczki,

what's your first name? Which block of kirby did you live on?
We would go to the Hyacinth festivals all the time. Used to buy milk bread and cookies form the bakery directly across the street. Mom used to bank at the CommenWealth bank across the street.

Remeber Father Skowski?

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 04, 2007)

Paczki

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Walter my name is Patty. I lived between Moran and Mt.Elliott, closer to Moran. At one time there was a store on Kirby and Moran called "Bill's" he sold milk, bread, candy cards etc. and down on Moran at near Frederick there was another store called Seelee's same set up. I think both had soda fountain counters at one time. The corner of Moran and Ferry had a bakery but we preferred the one across from St. Hyacinth. Fr. Skalski became the Pastor in the early 70's. He fought to keep our school open and had the students form a picket line outside of the Archdiocese. The school was kept open, receiving no funds from the Archdioces. Tuition and the proceeds from the Banana Festival kept the school functioning. I recently went back into the school and was surprised how very little has changed. The building looks like it could again be a functioning school with some updating.

Fr. Skalski officiated at my wedding in 1983 and I've always had nothing but the utmost respect for him.

I had my first account at the Commonwealth Bank, took my dry cleaning to the cleaners on McDougall and Ferry (or was it Palmer). We ordered pizza from Dan & Vi's on Chene and my friends parents owned Dane Donuts on Chene.

Paczki

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Walter my name is Patty. I lived between Moran and Mt. Elliott, closer to Moran. At one time there was a store on Kirby and Moran called "Bill's" he sold milk, bread, candy cards etc. and down on Moran at near Frederick there was another store called Seelee's same set up. I think both had soda fountain counters at one time. The corner of Moran and Ferry had a bakery but we preferred the one across from St. Hyacinth.

Fr. Skalski became the Pastor in the early 70's. He fought to keep our school open when I was in either 7th or 8th grade had the students form a picket line outside of the Archdiocese. The school was kept open, receiving no funds from the Archdiocese. Tuition and the proceeds from the Banana Festival kept the school functioning. I recently went back into the school and was surprised how very little has changed. The building looks like it could again be a functioning school with some updating.

Fr. Skalski officiated at my wedding in 1983 and I've always had nothing but the utmost respect for him.

At one time there was a coney island on McDougall between Frederick and Kirby. We hung out there drinking coke and pooling our money together to get an order or two of fries. I had my first account at the Commonwealth Bank, took my dry cleaning to the cleaners on McDougall and Ferry (or was it Palmer). Everyone went to the Hardware store on McDougall near the Boulevard. We ordered pizza from Dan & Vi's on Chene and my friends parents owned Dane Donuts on Chene.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Patty, I don't believe I ever knew you buy boy you certainly do remember the old nabe.

I used to love old Bill's store. I didnt exactly remember the name until u reminded me. (thanx)Wow, I can picture him now, tall(at least at 5 I thought so) white man, balding with dark rimmed glasses. Always watched us kids like a hawk.
There was also Clarence's, which was on the corner of Kirby and Moran and he kept moving across the street and back from store to store for a few years but never actually made it off the corner. lol
Mom used to bank at the Commonwealth also. We used to go to the bakery across from Hyacinth everyday for bread and milk.
The cleaners were on the corner of Ferry and McDougall, right across from the huge two story house that used to be on the corner.
Then there was Joe's(?) across from the cleaners, another candy store.
The hardware on McDougall is still there. I wonder how they survive? Or at least it was 2 years ago.
We used to go to the hardware on Chene by the market. Mom did all her shopping on Chene st basically unless it was to go to Arlan's(kingsway) on the blvd or Farmer Jack.
Once in a while we ventured downtown or to Hamtramck.
Dan and Vi's had the best subs and pizza. I know they still operate but only a couple of hours a day.
Did u guys used to go to WoolWorth? There's a picture of it in the hall of fame thread entitled the Last Dime Stores.
I do not remember the coney island at all. (mebbe the weed is clouding my mind lol)
Oh my, remember Butzel Branch? Wow, that place was great!!!!!
We used to ride our bikes around hyacinth and Franchak(?) funeral home all the time. We would always try to get a peek at the dead bodies because we were just kids I guess.

Man, it was such a great place to grow up.
Thanx for the memories.

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 21, 2007)

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 21, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5551
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck High School is now filled with a diversity of Students. Blacks, Whites, Arabs and East Indians. There were some territorial fights years ago but that has slowed down.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn shame, we never had fights like this. damn shame what Hamtown has become.

Danny

Post Number: 5552
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walterwaves,

Hamtramck was once a full blown Polish community. Then along come Serbians, Germans, Albanians, and Checzks, later Black-folks from Detroit's Black Bottom and Paradise and Polonia communities since the 1910s. By the 1960s came the Yemenese Arab Muslims, the Begalis from New Yorks City's Astoria community since the 1990s, Sri Lankis, Pakistanis and East Indians Hindus and Sikhs followed them. This was due to a lot of manufacturing plants on the Detroit/Hamtramck borders including the GM Main plant that was built in the 1980s after all of Poletown was destroyed.

Today Hamtramck is a ethnic soup filled with well kept up neighborhoods, clean alleys and rows of wood-frame family flats and most folks over there are fighting to posses those neighborhoods and I was wondering WHO WILL WIN?

Walterwaves

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

I lived on Kirby and Moran half my life until I moved to NYC for work. My father owned a "social club" on the corner of campau and Pulaski from 70 to appr 86.
Also we had 2 furniture stores on Campau for a while, one was just across the street 2 doors down from what used to be Joey's and the other was across from Clock rest.
I do remember when Hamtown was much much nicer than it is now.
I do pass back through Detroit and Htown every once in a while and I see Htown is not as kept up as it used to be.
Just my honest opinion.

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fights were not territorially based.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they were probably racially motivated.

Tammypio

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joeys'...my high school hangout that eventually became Wendy's!

Walterwaves

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

u went to ham high Tammy? what year?

Tammypio

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

graduated in 1981...started there in 77.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh ok,,,,probably don't know ya. my last name is Pantovic,,,,,,,,,,actually your name does sound kinda familiar. Maybe u went to school with one of my brothers.

Anyway, nice to meet ya!

Danny

Post Number: 5553
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,

Oh they were territorial and of course racially motivated. 50 years ago, Black folks were not allow to go further and buy any more homes in Hamtramck. Their tiny communities resides at the southern borders in which it was torn down later along with the rest of Poletown and west of I-75 FWY. Now there still few left scatted about mostly in eastern and lower almost blighted southern parts of the Hamtramck. On the western part of Hamtramck there is a housing project for low-income folks especially blacks. This could be a cover-up from Hamtramck City Council and HUD to prevent Blacks from suing them for restrictive covenants.

(Message edited by danny on February 22, 2007)

Kris

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The kids who fought a few years ago had no concern about 50 year old territory issues. They were pretty much racially based.

Danny

Post Number: 5555
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, The kids today in Hamtramck especially Hamtramck High School were territorial controlled from the 1980s tp the 2000s. I didn't wrote about how the kids in Hamtramck were territorial controlled 50 years ago. White kids their side of the hood, the Black kids in their side of the hood and Arab and East Indians in their own side of the hoods. Like I have wrote to all of you before, there were some fights a long time ago over that school over territorial issues, of the hallways, entrances and lunchrooms. How It has slowed down.

(Message edited by danny on February 22, 2007)

Kris

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a previous student of Hamtramck High School, I was able to view these issues first hand. The fight, which usually happened sometime during the winter months, almost annually, was solely between the blacks and Albanians. Someone said something immature to someone of the other ethic group and trouble ensued. Until recently it got especially violent and more notable by others in the metro area.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albanians get their whole damn family on their side. They get their cousins, their uncles, their second cousins. It's a whole damn family affair.

Danny

Post Number: 5557
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right Kris, and that's the answer that I'm looking for. But race wasn't a factor it was territorial over the hoods and the high school.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, the Albanians always thought they ran the city which is the furthest from the truth. Most of the kids were just guido thug wannabes that had a few bucks from mommy and daddy.
They always fought against the black kids and both sides were equally racially motivated.
All in all, I just went to school there and went back to the east side everyday and hung out with some real people.

Tammypio

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter! I do know you and your brother Steven. My maiden name is Hughes. I married David Piotrowski who graduated in the class of '82. Do you still live in the area?
As far as fights go, my memories are that there were occasional fights between the ethnic group of students ( mostly Albanian and Yugoslavian students at that time) and African American students. I am very proud of the fact that I grew up in Hamtramck and was exposed to so many different cultures and lifestyles. When I went away to school to MSU, I was amazed to find that most of the girls on my floor had NEVER spent any time with people of other cultures and could not handle it at all. As I said in an earlier post, I didn't get the greatest education, but I think that growing up in Hamtramck helped me to become the tolerant and understanding person that I am today. My mom still lives in Hamtramck. I go through town at least once a week and have so many fond memories of the place that I grew up in. I know it is different now, but I believe that some of the issues are blown way out of proportion.

Paczki

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What bars did you hang out at in Hamtramck? We all played softball at Memorial Park and Jayne Field for several of the bars. Swinging City, White Star, Dutchies, Goodtime, Conger Bar and a couple others I can't remember. During the week we went to the bars after games and on the weekends we went Dancing at Lili's, White Star (upstairs they had a great raised and lighted dance floor) Cioci Pat's, The Bowery, Paychecks and Club Polski.

After the bars closed we'd go to Clock or Genie Weenies. If we had extra cash we'd go to Greektown or Mexican Village. A couple of times we went to Lafayette Coney Island get a bag of coney's and go out to Belle Isle and have a picnic in the middle of the night.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tammmy,

I do remember your name and your husband's but unfortunately I cannot place the faces and unfortunately my yearbooks were stolen from a storage unit after my divorce.
For some reason Im thinking your husband had curly hair back then, possibly glasses? hair maybe black. I think. I really am bad with my memory.

I do not live in the area anymore. I left Detroit back in 85-86 and have been living in manhattan ever since.

While I do miss Detroit and hamtramck I could not ever live anywhere else other than Manhattan .

The old saying is true, once you live here you can't live anywhere else.
It is true for the states. I also love tokyo, london, hong kong and paris but since I am a hard head I refuse to try and assimilate so Ill just stay here besides, it is the crossroads of the world.
Like you I do cherish my childhood in Detroit and hamtramck. I wish school would have been a bit better for me but I guess we all can't be popular in school. That came later on in life for me here in NYC and the Jersey shore.
The 80's and 90's were great for me.
I have an 18 yr old son whom I took to Detroit to show him where I grew up and introduced him to my friends and family in the old nabe, or whats left of it.
I took him to my elementry school, kosciusko, and hamhigh so he could see where I went to school.
Basically I gave him the dime tour and showed him where the theaters used to be, our old hangouts that are long gone and so on.
Just for kicks I had to take him to 8 mile to show him its not as bad as portrayed in the movie and that when we were kids 8 mile was a place we aspired to live. lolol
So hows life for you and everyone else around there?

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 22, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.