Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DPS and City Revitalization in Crisis « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ripple effect
Could closing Detroit public school buildings derail the city's revitalization efforts?

Jennifer Mrozowski, Christine MacDonald and Mike Wilkinson / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Detroit Public Schools' unprecedented plan to shutter 52 school buildings threatens to derail revitalization plans in pockets of the city where tens of millions of dollars are being invested, redevelopment advocates say.

Closing schools in these neighborhoods, they argue, could torpedo resurgence efforts and drive more families from a city hemorrhaging people.

A Detroit News analysis of residential construction permits and births shows some of the schools targeted for closure are in areas of the city that are showing signs of growth, such as southwest Detroit, as well as in communities recently targeted for redevelopment by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, including Brightmoor and the North End.

"There is so much revitalization going on in the city," said Shirley Stancato, president and CEO of New Detroit, a coalition of community leaders focused on improving the city. "I wonder if they are looking forward or at just today."

Stancato said it's clear that schools have to close, but the district needs to be smart about which ones it shutters, taking into account academic performance and neighborhood development.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/M ETRO/701310420

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already posted...

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, I think schools and children are the last thing in the world that has anything to do with sexy, revitalized cities with snazzy downtowns like NY, Chicago and SF. Go walk down Fifth Avenue any day of the week and count the kids in strollers. They're about 0.5% of the population.

I lived in SF for years. There are no children there, save a smattering of first borne 1-4 year olds. Seriously, it has the lowest percentage of children of any city in the WORLD (I think like 14% of the population). The city's school system is a disaster. If your kids can't get get into private kindergarten, its off to the suburbs for you with a badge of shame. When jr is 10 you then explain to him how his ineptidude at the pre-school admissions test ruined your life by forcing you to move to the East Bay.

I love my kids. But lets face it, kids are loud. You have to wipe their asses in public restrooms. And their noses run constantly, especially in winter. And you can't bring home a flight attendant drunk at 3:00 am when you are married with children. Well, you could, but it would not go over well.

So, as a result, young professionals are not packing into Lincoln Park or the Mission because they love kids or give a rat's ass about public education. I lived in Chicago for 15 years and am not sure if I ever recall seeing a public school. I'm sure they were there. Someplace. I certainly didn't know or care the first thing about them.

What these urban professions want in a city -- at least in the Midwest -- is a great selection of bars and restaruants and the opportunity to have sex with lots of attractive people over a 10 or 15 year period before finally having to marry one and move to [insert Northern suburb of major city].

Cities are about money, sex, vanity, power, and pleasure. That's what drives them. Stinking, selfish, hedonistic, self-aborbed, over-paid, affluent singles and empty-nesters that blow money like water. That's what makes the lights shine so bright and the sidewalks glitter. Expensive tastes and the cash to back it up.

Hate me for saying it, but walk through Chicago, NY or SF and TELL me I'm wrong. I'm not. I'm dead nuts on.

If you you want playgrounds and good public schools, you move to a suburb.

Personally, Detroit has too many children. They are an expensive burden, and then they become 16 to 25 year olds, that tender age bracket that commits most of our crime.

Let the suburbs build and operate schools and deal with all the headaches and cost of children. The cream of the crop can graduate from college and move to Detroit.

(Message edited by ray on February 04, 2007)

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray:

That is a very interesting post. You have some good points, but the downtown area only counts for a small portion of the city limits. Chicago and Sanfran have great downtowns and they both have a solid middle/upper family oriented middle class neighborhoods to support their tax base. Something Detroit does not have. Why doesn't Detroit have this? Because of Schools and crime.

Why does Detroit need middle income families? Like you said we don't, but it sure would help the tax base so Detroit can have a vibrant downtown where recent college grads can meet their partners for a suburban life.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, that post was dead on. Chicago survives with rotten schools. Maybe Detroit can as well.

Yelloweyes, Chicago survives with rotten schools. Maybe Detroit can as well. With that being said, I will agree with you that crime is a serious issue in Detroit. You can be single and not be concerned about the rotten public schools, but if you own a store/business and your store is constantly getting broken into or you are constantly robbed, then you're not going to keep your business in the city. Also, you'll probably move your residence out of the city because you'll want to be closer to your store.

As a result, the tax base on two fronts now abandons the city. This scenario has been going on in Detroit for years. Not until crime is under control will the abandonment stop.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Ray. Good schools are not why Detroit isn't a "world class" city anymore. I say with sincere honesty that New York's school system is not only bad, but worse than Detroit's!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K. Detroit, Chicago, and New York Schools are all terrible. What about segregation? What percentage of Chicago & New York Public Schools student population is asian, white and other ethnic groups compared to Detroit's 95% black (guess). I will do some research and get back. Does this have an effect on revitalization efforts?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.