Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New "Branding" for Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just at the Convention & Visitors Bureau meeting, where they unveiled the new branding for Detroit.

It's directed at the 21-34 age group. It is based on the unspoken concept that Detroit is cool. But we're not supposed to say that we're cool -- because that would be uncool.

The unspoken (or unspeakable?) slogan is that "Detroit is where cool begins."

In particular, the new branding it stresses five things (cars, culture, gaming, music, and sports) that make us cool. (Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that we are cool.)

So really, the branding is sort of a logo -- on brushed stainless steel -- of a big "D" with the words "CARS, CULTURE, GAMING, MUSIC, SPORTS" one underneath the other.

It's pretty ... um ... pretty c**l.

There were other things, like new simplified mapping for five districts that visitors need to know about. The five districts are "Downtown," Darborn/Wayne, S Oakland, N Oakland, and Macomb.

The entire City of Detroit will now be referred to as "Downtown" by the Convention & Visitors Bureau, and I'm not sure if I like that.

They could have called it "Detroit" instead of calling it "Downtown." But I suppose that they considered that, and rejected it b/c it goes against the regional idea that everything in the metro area really is part of "Detroit."

They will still tell people about "Downtown" by dividing it into areas (including "City Center," plus Cultural Center, etc.) And they will still tell people about "Downtown" by dividing it into topics like museums, etc.

Well, that's the news about the new branding and simplified regional mapping.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So really, the branding is sort of a logo -- on brushed stainless steel -- of a big "D" with the words "CARS, CULTURE, GAMING, MUSIC, SPORTS" one underneath the other."

Are there by chance any renderings of this released?

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rendering for the "D"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8155
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I though Detroit was where cool ended up, after leaving and travelling the world and finding that most of the rest doesn't have the depth of soul and Spirit of Detroit.

The real marketing program for these kids would be to say, if you think you're cool...GO see the world, we'll be waiting for you...tuning the guitar & piano, AND the car, exercising for the competition, and rebuilding the museums...and funding your future gambling twelve-step groups.

THEN it would work with reverse psychology and they'd run down in droves...asphault would melt on Woodward north of 8 Mile Road, then the rest of the spokes.

Detroit--the City of Second Chances

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure that renderings will be released.

It isn't a secret logo. That wouldn't be very useful.

The only thing that is semi-secret is the unspoken slogan that "Detroit is where cool begins." Instead of being our new slogan, that is supposed to be our mindset as we promote the region.

Anyway, the new simplified mapping may have more impact than the new logo or branding. I'm sure that they'll release renderings of this too.

I can't believe that I said that "Darborn/Wayne" was a region. I should have caught that typo on spell-check, and I apologize to all the good folks (and even the bad folks) in Dearborn.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, my city just came out with a 'We're cooler than you thought we were' sort of marketing angle to woo tourists. I know Toronto and Detroit have used the same talent before (based on an article in Toronto Life, but I forgot the firm's name) with respect to promoting our respective cities. It would be funny if suddenly the same ads started appearing in various cities promoting the virtues of the other cities, but I digress. Watch out for Toronto ads in your "alternative" weeklies, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester and NYC! The ads looked silly to me, but I am not bothered by them.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think thats awsome, but... I don't think it does anything to soften Detroits Bad Ass image. I think that would help more than anything, but I can see what their going for with that target group. Great job for that group, but not sure it communicates safety and a welcoming to the rest of the folks. I do really like that logo though! Looks Great!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only thing that is semi-secret is the unspoken slogan that "Detroit is where cool begins."

That's pretty shrewd reverse psychology. It's like adopting the attitude that we don't want to tell just anybody how attractive it is because then too many people would rush the place and spoil it all.

HA! Very shrewd indeed. :-)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the logo sort of retains our hard-ass image, instead of promoting the beauty of Detroit that I think would attract people. The museums, Belle Isle, Eastern market, Campus Martius, the skyline, etc..

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then, it appears the giant lesson learned from "Cool Cities" was that cool cities don't call themselves cool.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bad ass image may not necessarily be a bad thing. A blighted image on the other hand is what turns people off. I get the impression that people view Detroit more as a blighted Rust Belt city than a bad ass.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's interesting that they are promoting the entire region as one big city. Has anyone else ever done this before?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that Atlanta has the same system.

In a report I read from a marketing group, they determined that there was too far a distance between attractions to market it otherwise.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toog...where did you find the logo?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070131/BUSINES S06/70131032

Gannon

Post Number: 8156
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool doesn't have to call itself ANYTHING.

The whole POINT of Detroit is that we GET ON WITH LIFE and enjoy after work is done. Some of us are even learning to enjoy our work

NAH, you can't make anything or anyone 'cool', if that were the case...I might be closer to it.

Detroit--the City of Second Chances, where you can just BE yourself, and that's cool...even if you're NOT.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0131/REG/70131009/1047/FREE

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know how much they paid someone to come up w/ that slogan?

Just because one nitwit, Granholm, came up with the "cool" nonsense is no reason to emulate that nutty idea. Who are they kidding? This isn't the '50's when "cool" was the buzzword applied not only to jazz, but everything else allegedly hip.

What do people now say when something is great, fantastic, breaking all records etc? It's HOT.

Why not adopt a slogan like this? "Come to Detroit for a hotter-than-hell great time." You know, like from the song "we'll have a hot time in the old town tonight" (or whatever.)

Down in Wichita County Texas they have a 100 mile bike race through the countryside in August. It's called the "Hotter-Than-Hell 100" and it draws 13,000 riders from around the world including all the European professional teams.

People will identify Detroit with "hot" rather than "cool." Play to strength.

If the City wants to adopt my slogan, they'll only have to pay me 10% of what they paid whoever thought up the "cool" slogan, and that would be too much for either of them.

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on January 31, 2007)

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it's a ridiculous amount of money. It amazes me people get paid to sit around and come up with stuff like this. And aiming only for 21-34 ... it's all about money money money.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Ooo he said 'hell' [blush] that isn't cool. Christians might be offended.

Actually we already have the 'Run through Hell' race in the far exurbs.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any time you have to call yourself anything, it usually prompts the question of who are you trying to convince, yourself or those who you are talking to. All the D has to do is shine, flaunt what it has , and let nature run its course. The good news will get around.They will notice that its a cool place, even if its a tough love, loveable none the less.

Gannon

Post Number: 8159
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Hell a suburb of Detroit?

I know it's close.

Shame they couldn't help us with the ice and snow, yanno, be USEFUL with that heat.

Michmeister,

We've already got that going for us, and it wouldn't have given the Chamber something to do.

I love that new D...it's the inclusion of promoting Gaming that I detest. IF anything, I'd have put that one LAST.

The priority, in MY estimation should have been:

Music, Sports, Culture, Cars, Gaming

Cheers!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The priority, in MY estimation should have been:

Music, Sports, Culture, Cars, Gaming

the priority in MY estimation should have been:

Safety
Schools
Neighborhoods
Taxes

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhh, for tourism promotion??

I wouldnt promote any of those categories, Dabirch. Detroit lacks ridiculously in all of them.

I know what you mean though....:-)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell is slightly too far away to be a suburb of Detroit. I consider Hell a suburb of Ann Arbor.

Dabirch, you don't play to your weaknesses, you play to your strengths. Remember this is about marketing rather than reinventing reality. That also has to be done, but not (please) by marketing gurus.

My concern is that calling yourself cool is automatically uncool. I thought everybody knew that.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11186
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the priority in MY estimation should have been:

Safety
Schools
Neighborhoods
Taxes

But then we wouldn't be the unspoken cool, we'd be trendy and hip.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music, culture? Kinda sorta the chicken/egg argument. In my book one in the same and definitely our number one calling card. I know it is a huge part of our history but I would like to see a letting go of the auto industry as the biggest point of recognition for our fair city. The unrelenting dependency on it is slowly but surely dragging it down because there are more jobs to be leaving and they ain`t comin` back.

My list-
Culture
Hard working
Pride
Love

Gambling is not exactly something that I would see as a feather in my cap. Already too widespread and a dangerous commodity to have around. I`d like to know how much rent money or tuition has been left at the roulette tables.

The D emblem is very strong, too. Looks in a way like a double-D. Like it very much. Could imagine it in a drop-forged kind of style- Chrome plated pretty, but rough around the edges where the edge was grinded off, like the handle of a crescent wrench.Hard and tough yet polished and handsome.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like it's preggers

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, no photoshops yet of the logo?

I am disappointed.

Gannon

Post Number: 8171
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be D_Stylin' avatar.

Of course, two copyright attorneys just got excited, aiming for some income.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who has read the comments pages of the newspapers, knows what I mean when I say a lot of people in this region are nothing but pathetic.

It's up to us here and the likeminded to take accountability and raise up this city and suburb for the good of all. We're just as good as any region in the USA, if not better. We've survived 50 years of our own mass-produced hell on earth.

Time for "woe is me" to "shut the f--- up!" :D

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the rest of you but when somebody/entity has to market their cool they automatically negate whatever they are attempting. You are or you aren't [Detroit is] but if you start saying you are, you'll lose whatever you have.

I really hope this works and that the rest of the campaign will make it jell, but at this point it just looks like any other corporate ad campaign.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9184
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing is cool....so Detroit should fit that label nicely.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit area and Michigan in general also need to start promoting their proximity to the lakes and the river along with the activities the public associates with large bodies of water. Instead of trying to project some sort of outdated Midwestern or middle-American image, the area needs to adopt a more updated almost coastal attitude as Chicago and some other Great Lakes places have. People from more cosmopolitan areas aren't buying the old Rust Belt working-class attitude anymore. The region needs to adapt and exploit what is perhaps its greatest resource, The Great Lakes.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Michigan exploits the Great Lakes moreso than any other state in the region...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Cool...a line from the late poet Jim Gustafson, (spoken in a loud, bellowing voice):
"WE SURF DOWN THE DETROIT RIVER ON BURNING MATTRESSES"
RIP, Jim.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Michigan exploits the Great Lakes moreso than any other state in the region...

Well since we are surrounded on 3 sides by the Great Lakes, what would expect?
Michigan is the Great Lakes State.

(Message edited by Mthouston on February 01, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say that they shouldn't. I was saying that they already do (and have been doing so for quite a long time).

"Welcome to Michigan: Great Lakes, Great Times"

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said before, I'm in NY and I have never seen the state of Michigan or Detroit market itself here or anywhere else I know of in this part of the country. Seems there is room for more effort on the part of your c&v bureaus. Just as far as tv ads, I remember seeing various short commercials from places like Maryland, Louisiana, and of course Vegas over the last few years.

I run into people from all over the country who have no clue what part of the state Detroit happens to be in, let alone that it's so close to several significant bodies of water.

The only place I've ever seen Michigan advertise is within the state of Michigan, when i've been there on visits. Aiming towards in state vacationers i guess...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno where they market Michigan here in the east but they must do it somewhere. I've met people here in NY metro who vacation in northern Michigan during the summer.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Families have been coming to vacation in Michigan, often at family-owned cottages, for a century. These are "legacy" visitors. Maybe that family started out in Michigan or Chicago and some of the offspring moved east. These aren't the people that Travel Michigan markets to. Travel Michigan has had a miniscule budget for many years - far smaller than any neighboring state. As a result, overnight visitors from other states have dropped considerably.

The states travel promotions can be sen on the travel Michigan websight. There is a huge emphasis on water (most of the rest of the country is thirsty), but the ads placement outside the website is small. With its small budget, The State has largely advertised in neighboring states and Ontario - the most likely market for driving in.

Next year the budget is scheduled to be even smaller. I believe that the Detroit convention bureau has a bigger ad budget than the State of Michigan does.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9187
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the new logo. The olde english "D" was getting tired.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit Cool...a line from the late poet Jim Gustafson, (spoken in a loud, bellowing voice):
"WE SURF DOWN THE DETROIT RIVER ON BURNING MATTRESSES"
RIP, Jim.

Great quote from a great bard of Detroit - our dear departed Gusto whose breakfast was a box of donuts and a pint of brandy. No wonder he was with us so shortly.
quote:

You can forewarn of the apocalypse,
make burgers out of beeflips,
do talk shows, trade quips,
one, two, shape those hips!
Be a military advisor to El Salvador,
believe in a winable nuclear war,
collect empties in the Cass Corridor!
You can join the CIA, get on MTV,
tell the little Gs and Bs how it's got to be!
Get rich in the struggle,
find something new to smuggle,
be a liar, a conniver,
a Tupelo truckdriver,
get real behind a laser,
locate a real and present danger,
be a major deal arranger!
oh, it gets stranger and stranger!
But I gotta tell you Honey,
don't let it break your heart,
but there ain't no money, Honey!
No Money in Art!

Jim Gustafson

^^ what every artist knows

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that it will be a $750,000 campaign, and $150,000 has been spent developing it.

Gannon

Post Number: 8195
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering the Lakes draw...we really should campaign all over the nation, especially within six states with the slogan:

Michigan: The MIDDLE Coast, Hold the Salt.

Or something like that...because we've got what BOTH coasts offer, except WE'VE got proximity between them...and THE LARGEST BODY OF FRESH WATER (since we 'really' cannot call Lake Michigan and Huron separate lakes, they act like ONE ecologically) in North America.

Sure, you could see the sunrise off Battery Park, Manhattan in the morning, they jet to San Fransisco to watch it set on Half Moon Bay...but HERE, it can be less than an hour's drive. If you swim in it and catch a gulp of water surfing off the west coast...it's NOT poisoned salt water.

Then boast about it to the country...even the world...so's people can time-share their summer homes and start makin' some cashola on 'em.

It could work...now that we're all tightening our belts, it is good to make all our assets turn a dime or two of income.

ONE thing most of my successful Big3/Suppier friends have in common is a place up north.

If anyone uses this idea, they owe me. Copyright on the post date/time, JJGannon. Don't worry Lowell, you know I'll share with you.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not like the "gaming" part of the logo. I really am not sure if I like the fact that Detroit is banking on gambling...too vice-like for me...then again I go to 'illegal' afterhours....but overall I just don't think of gaming as part of Detroit's image.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Slogan:

"Michigan...no hurricanes, mudslides, earthquakes, forest fires (that will burn your house down), tsunamis, slack-jawed yokels, or alien abductions. Why not visit?"

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen Michigan locations featured in the Chicago Sun Times, New York Times, and L.A. Times. The L.A. and Chicago papers both had Michigan excursions featured in their emailings in the last year or so.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a similar note, I often hear commercials down here in Charlotte encouraging companies to move their business to Michigan on behalf of the Michigan Economic Development Corp. I believe. Haven't heard or seen any other adds for other states. Go Michigan!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, thanks for that feedback. Most of us wouldn't have known that without your post.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Michigan have the second longest coastline of any state in the country? I think it's second to Alaska.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Convention and Visitors Bureau roll out of the brand as well. Actually, at first I was a little offended when they said they were targeting 21-34 year olds. Made me feel like an old fart. But I like the new brand. But that 1932 car they pimped out doesn't fit the 21-34 year old marketing campaign.

If you want to target 21-34, you have to pimp out a newer model ride. You know?

Gannon

Post Number: 8209
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trivia question MUST be worded, 'which state has the longest CONTINUOUS coastline' for Alaska to win.

If it is 'which of the CONTIGUOUS states has the longest CONTINUOUS coastline', you get California.

If it is merely which is the LONGEST coastline completely, we get the nod...it is just around TWO peninsulas.

I haven't looked it up recently, but always come out of my skin when I hear Alaska and CA getting all that attention.

ONE has TOO cold a water to do much anything with except cruise and spill some oil...the other, well, you have to travel through the odd alternative-universe of CA to see.

Bratt,

Would you rather be a NEW fart or an old one?! heh

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The film makers on this board should go to the visitdetroit.com website for more information on the podcast contest. First prize is $10,000.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COOL! hmmmm let me think.
I'm still thinking......
oh,
retro art-deco dilapidated buildings, that's cool,
if they get rehabbed.
retro muscle cars; reintroduced, thats cool.
Kwame F. he's cool.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.