Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Chatter Box (13 and Mound) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever heard of this place? I guess it was a big hangout way back in the day.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only restaurant/lounge that I ever recall at 13 Mile and Mound is the Gazebo, on the northeast corner. They've been in operation since at least the late 60's, and I don't recall it under another name. They used to operate a restaurant, but now I believe it's strictly a banquet hall.
There's a pool hall in the strip mall on the northwest corner. I think it's still in operation, but the name escapes me. They opened back in the late 80's, I believe.
The south side of 13 mile was all owned by GM since the late 40's.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 509
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chatterbox was in the Green Acres Shopping Center on the northwest corner of that intersection.

Here is a transcript of the ad they ran in the 1967 Crest yearbook published by the St. Clement High School in Center Line, MI.

Young Adult Nite Club
THE CHATTERBOX
5751 E. 13 Mile Road and Mound Rd.
Warren, Michigan
Green Acres Shopping Center

LIVE BANDS, DANCING, EXOTIC SOFT DRINKS
THURSDAY THRU SUNDAY

8 P.M. TIL 12:30 A.M.

Phone 264-9815

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess an exotic soft drink would be Towne Club? Maybe Grilli's? :-)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn’t there a nightclub at Groesbeck and Utica called The Matchbox? It is a young adult club as well, with soft drinks and catering to high school kids. Ill snatch a photo next time I go by it.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a place on Van Dyke called Blarby's. A number was posted at each table and each table had a telephone. If you saw someone you were interested in you could dial them up and see if they were open to getting together.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Bulletmagnet, you won't have much luck....the place is no longer there.

As far as I can tell, a few years back (2000-ish) the place was renovated and slated to open as a regular nighclub....for whatever reason (not bribing the officials?) they couldn't get their liquor license and that's when it opened as an under-21 club. It seemed to stay open for awhile, but then finally the place got the liquor license a few years later and was re-branded "Rain", a regular nightclub. My friends and I went once....was nice but I don't think it ever got very busy....probably too trendy for the Woody's crowd, too far away from the Pontiac club scene, and not trendy enough for those who club downtown. It seemed to stay open for less than a year and then was vacant....last I saw it'd been torn down and a mega-gas station complex was taking it's place.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update Sirrealone. Are there many of these types (under 21) clubs around town? What parent would want there kid hagging out at a bar like establishment? We spent our time at the park. Oh well, times change.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.