Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Shields Pizza to have location in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was posted in the Real Detroit, Clean Plate Club last week. What building are they moving into?

In 1972, Shield’s, along with many other Detroit businesses of the turbulent time, found a new home in Southfield. In the last 35 years, Shield’s has seen tremendous growth, mostly due to brothers Peter and Paul Andoni, who bought the company in 1997 from their uncle Dino, who had been running it since the mid-1970s. Today, Shield’s has company stores in Southfield, Troy and Dearborn and under the ownership of the Andoni brothers has seen franchise locations birthed in Clinton, Macomb and Commerce townships, as well as Warren and a new location back in Detroit will soon be resurrected in the arts and entertainment district, “on East Grand Circus Park, around the corner from Cheli’s Chili,” as Paul put it.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 872
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

around the corner??? are they building new?

I always thought that Buddy's should be downtown. There are days when I crave and antipasto, but McNichols is too far away!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more pizza joints downtown. Is "Como's" officially out or what? I'm sick of that place dragging ass.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 874
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe Comos is where Shields is going??

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 994
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like it to me Detroitplanner!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the chain restaurants? (*sigh)

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U know what downtown needs:

Buddy's
Shields
Post Bar
Mcdonalds
Burger King
Taco Bell
Outback
BD's
Boston's
Planet Hollywood
ESPN Zone
Dave & Busters

Oh, and the Retail:

Macy's
Gap
Express
Hollister
Foot Locker
Another Border's Books
Barnes & Noble
Niketown
Sony Store
Apple Store
Toys R'US

And of course, the Television Stations

WXYZ 7
FOX 2 NEWS
MTV
ESPN
NBC Studio
ABC Studio

Those are my dreams. Sorry kind of off topic.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are dreams alright.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown already has a Post Par, Burger King, and McDonalds...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown needs fewer of those generic chain restaurants and more family-run places.

I shudder to think of a Red Robin or an Applebee's downtown...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankfully, Applebee's definition of a "neighborhood" is a strip mall with acres of asphalt along a congested highway.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great news if it actually happens. I have not had Shield's since I was a kid and my grandparents lived near Davison and Conant. That's also near the original Buddy's, so I had some great pizza growing up.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, the TGI Friday's in downtown Grand Rapids has a very comfortable feel to it that seems to fit well in the downtown surroundings.

I'm not against all chains coming downtown, but I think it would depend on what and where.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Shield's was cool; they opened one in at Kerby and Mack in the last 1970s that didn't last long;

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3530
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckily the Buddy's nearby at Pointe Plaza (Moross/Mack) seems to be doing good business!

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those are my dreams. Sorry kind of off topic.

And those are my nightmares. Why even leave suburbia?

Sorry, kind of off topic.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought everyone wants to be like Chicago, New York and so forth. These city's have "chain" restaurants.

As bad as I hate to admit it also, but we need an Applebee's or a TGI Fridays or a Outback steakhouse in the downtown area. Some people don't have the time for an 1 1/2 hour lunch at slows and would rather have a quick 30 minute lunch at one of those locations. Yes, it would be great if we had another Mexican village in midtown, a slows on the eastside, another russell street deli near wayne state. But these family run restaurants are special for that reason, there is only one location. I don't understand why eveyone would be upset if we had a chain restaurant or two downtown detroit. I don't mean a Planet Hollywood or ESPN Zone. But something like the "applebee's"

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5448
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shield's Pizza might moved to the Former now renovated Madison Theater Building. That area would seek some customers during the Tigers and Lions games.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought some other Italian restaurant was going into Madison's?? Where is Shield's going?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8086
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE ANDONI'S OWN SHIELDS NOW?!

Great! Paul was a client of mine...can't wait to give them some pizza business.

This is very cool, haven't been able to track them down easily since they closed their restaurant in Dearborn, on Telegraph south of Ford Road.

These Andoni's are fantastic people, and we should support them. Great that they are supporting the city.

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought everyone wants to be like Chicago, New York and so forth. These city's have "chain" restaurants."

I think most people on here keep imploring that they in fact do NOT want to be like Chicago, NYC, etc. And those cities may have all the chain restaurants, but for every one chain store, they have something that is also unique to the city. In theory, it would be better for Detroit to build up it's local restaurant base as best they can, so when the national chains do decide to invade, the local establishments can (hopefully) survive because they have been here longer.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 886
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, that Andonis on Tele and Ford was a Shields Pizza shortly before the bank bought it.

Gannon

Post Number: 8102
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planner,

THANKS, I had forgotten about that.

I wouldn't drop in, because I assumed the family had sold out...I had NO idea they were related.

(funny, went around for years missing the conversation with Paul when I used to go for late dinners)

I was a Buddy's guy, my ex-wife used to work at the one on Michigan Avenue...and my loyalties are fierce, as fierce as my agoraphobic INability to go into a new place alone.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 889
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place was really nice as a Shield's they would even have Sander's desserts. I did eat there a few times. I like you am a buddy's man; but I am first a pizza man!

Detroitplanner - still wishing that he could get a Carla's stuffed pizza again.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard a rumour late last summer early fall, that they were looking at the Kales building. But with that rumour being 6 months old I wouldn't put any money on it.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended something at the Shield's in Clinton Township. Good pizza, but the beer selection stunk. I have to say I've never been a Buddy's fan. I've always thought their pizza was overhyped, but then again, I've been told to go to the original location, and I've never been there, so I'm holding out hope.

Gannon

Post Number: 8108
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Planner,

Was Carla's that joint on Warren just west of Telegraph?

There was a small place that served stuffed pizza that was out of this world!

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we bulldoze half of downtown for the following establishments: Red Lobster, 4 Panera's, 15 new Starbucks, 5 Caribou's, Olive Garden, 2 Applebees, a Best Buy, a Super Wal-Mart, a regular Wal-Mart, a Sams Club, a Blockbuster Video, a few more Coldstone's, a Chili's, and a Dick's Sporting Goods for all the sports fans.

On a serious note, why isn't there a Happy's Pizza right downtown? I can't get enough of that place!

Gannon

Post Number: 8116
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They ARE great, for a city establishment.

Probably one of the best...the people they have at their Jefferson Ave. location are cool and make some good eats.

It's not FAR from downtown...

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone here against chain development downtown? I would think that with the position that the city is in, ANY retail presence would be welcome. When you ask residents of downtown what they want, they don't say "Man i could really use another cool martini bar." They say "I wish I could buy a TV and get some groceries at a decent price." We need basic services, and the fact remains that large national chains can provide those services most effectively. There will always be a place for that cool bead store, or the indie coffee shop; but at this moment in time, chains will help generate more business for the area as a while and independents as a critical mass is built.

Gannon

Post Number: 8118
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM, your inherenet BIAS against local establishments is GLARING, Jd.

You have already yielded to the trend that ONLY small-time crafts and arts operations can exist as legitimate business operations in the city.

Kiss off! We need entrepreneurs that will open those businesses that serve the same general market as chains, but with local flavor and MUCH better service.

We don't need chain stores for everything ABOVE jewelry-making and caffeine consumption...look at how your language has limited even the opportunity for more.

Large national chains do NOTHING more effectively...they only save a few dollars on commodities. MOST things in life are not commodities, if THAT is all that surrounds you in your home...you are a sorry consumer indeed.

Cheers!

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I happily support local companies over national chains whenever I can. I just cannot understand the hatred on here for these national companies at a time when the CBD should be excited for any retail.

Christos

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont really care if chains move in, as long as they respect the urban scale of the neighborhood. Its wierd, while I'm glad to see like a coldstone in Greektown, I hate that Downtown Dearborn's redevlopment was done with mostly chains in mind (Caribou, Starbucks, Coldstone, Panera, Au Bon Pan, etc). Though on the other side of that, its good to see the aforementioned chains attempt to bring some "urbanism" to the burbs.

Gannon

Post Number: 8122
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha, Jd. No harm, no foul.

Heya, Christos, welcome. Some of us have been waiting for you. (sorry, I cannot avoid the occasional Jesus joke)

Cheers!

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No harm no foul Gannon.... I fully understand and agree with the idea of supporting locally owned companies.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Gannon, that was the place. We used to drive out to the burbs just to get the Pizza. It was so popular that kids used to mark it up and sell it in the high school cafeteria as a fund raiser.

I can understand JD's frustration. I know I am an advocate for more reasonable priced retail downtown. I can remember the stink I got for suggesting Family Dollar and Old Navy (from folks who had obviously never stepped foot in one or assumed blacks won't shop there :-) ).

(Message edited by detroitplanner on January 30, 2007)

Christos

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon- I was a VERY regular poster on here back in 2000-2002. Then I lurked occasionally for a few years but even that was rare. It great to be back! (Even though I am not the massiah)

Does histeric ever post on here any more?

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this Christos originally from downriver. Southgate to be exact.

Christos

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. Well now Dearborn Heights.

Gannon

Post Number: 8125
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Planner,

Did you make it to one or more of our Twingo's movie nights?

What do you think the secret was with that stuffed pizza that made it so-o magical for us then? I had to ride my bike from the east side of Dearborn for it, and that was quite a haul.

I will look forward to meeting you, if that can ever happen.

Christos!

Histeric is around occasionally, but will only post when pressed.

Glad to know you're not the One I've been waiting for...no WAY I'm ready yet. Heh.

Cheers,
Johh

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I'm allowed to go to movie nights at Twingo's after making fun of the price of beer.

Christos

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do I know you Cushkid?

Gannon

Post Number: 8128
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Planner!

Heh, whoa, I HOPE we didn't give you that impression...I was more stumped, because I don't usually buy anything other than Guinness Stout and only complain if it hits me more than $6 per...since I milk 'em for an hour and a half or so, as the taste improves when the temperature drops.

When I asked you if you needed a subsidy between your comfortable price and what they had to charge...I was on my way to offering to pay the difference, since I didn't want something as trivial as money keeping anyone from this type of fellowship, neighborliness, and information delivery.

I apologize if you got the wrong impression, but you never answered my question of what you would pay...then you said you didn't even drink! heh.

LOL, no way that we want to exclude ANYONE who doesn't work for either the government (shadow or overt). From our conversations here, I thought you were going to make it. One week there was a fellow who sat on the second floor that I didn't get the chance to meet, I thought it might've been you.

Cheers!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, relax... it was sarcasm! I am relatively thick skinned it would take a lot to really piss me off.

(Message edited by detroitplanner on January 30, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 8131
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My skin is too thick to sense sarcasm.

heh.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd prefer a Buddy's Pizza or Louis'. Will settle for Jets.

Also, how about a first rate Zingerman's Deli type place too?

I wouldn't complain about a Caribou Coffee or Panera Bread.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with Pizza Papolis?

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turns out that it is going to go into the ground floor of the Kales Building. Here is the link

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/B IZ/701310370/1001

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With regards to Comos. I was at a friends in Palmer Woods last week and we ordered Comos (or tried to) when we gave them our address they bluntly told us that "we do not deliver to that area". My friend told them "but we are just two miles away if that" - they said they "do not go south of 8 mile". One of our group lives in Huntington Woods and she said they come there to her house. I don't think I will be going to Comos anymore. So welcome Shields.

Gannon

Post Number: 8136
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzz Bar is the pizza to beat downtown.

Cushkid

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christos, its Ankur and Aaron's friend Bobby. Christos is the only man in the world who can sing the word's to snow's informer with an unfiltered lucky strike in his mouth.

Gannon

Post Number: 8138
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A talented man indeed...you are going to score a hit on Hotfudge with that one.

Cushkid

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know your in good standing when you score one with the fudgies.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmont, thanks for the heads-up on Comos' delivery policy. I dined there two weeks ago. I guess that will be the last time. I'll reconsider if they ever open up the long-rumoured downtown location.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize it was Como's obligation to deliver anywhere you demand. Most places don't even deliver, and those that do restrict it to a small radius. Why is Como's supposed to be different because someone's too lazy to go pick it up themselves? Do you consider them your servants?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. They are paid to do it.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they're not paid to drive outside the area they designate as their delivery zone. But that's too simple to understand - let's make this an anti-Detroit conspiracy so everyone can bitch.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend and I used to order delivery from Como's. After a lot of complaining, they finally relented and agreed to deliver to us, but our phone number is flagged in their computer for this purpose. At about the same time, we decided that there were too many really good alternatives to Como's to put up with their Detroit snubs and general attitude that they are doing their customers a favor. So it's Pasquale's when way uptown, Original Buddy's closer to home. Now a really good pizaa (and Shield's is one) would be very welcome downtown. Nothing wrong with Pizza Papolis if that's the kind of pizza you want.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is cool that they are opening up on that side of GCP. Like the article said with Cliff Bells and others opening up on that side, it is going to bring life to what has recently been a dead side of GCP.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Hockey_player. Ditto on your statements. I am boycotting Sergeant Pepperoni’s because they do not deliver and to R.O. for that matter.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is they are not delivering to it simply because it is "south of 8 mile." Their loss I suppose

Ndavies

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_Player and Rjlj. You have it completely backwards. If a store is unwilling to service my needs as a customer, there is no way I am going to be their customer. If they are unwilling to bring a pizza to my house, then I will easily find someone else who will.

Just as many americans feel the big 3 no longer offer value for their money, a pizza place that is unwilling to deliver to me doesn't offer me value for my money.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an inaccurate analogy. At what point does servicing your needs cross the line into illogic? Should Como's actually lose money on the food they deliver by sending a driver miles away and burning away their profits on gas and driver wages?

I was at my girlfriend's house in Royal Oak recently, and had a craving for Detroit Pizza Factory on Griswold, but they said they wouldn't deliver to Royal Oak. Therefore I am going to boycott them for their anti-suburban mentality.

Chances are they don't give a shit if I do, because I am making ridiculous demands of them. And chances are, Como's would feel the same way.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy,
Comos delivers to FURTHER distances than Palmer Woods. Apparently, you didnt read the post.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy, the original post mentioned Huntington Woods, which is ONE MILE from Como's. What farther distances, exactly, have I overlooked?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares where they'll go, the pizza will still be disgusting

Ndavies

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, it is not illogical. It is completely illogical to expect me to shop somewhere that doesn't serve my needs. Why would I go to a store when I can get someone else to deliver a equivalent product at the same price? Why would any customer buy from someone who expects more from them than another store? Why would I buy from any store that doesn't support my values?

I am the customer. It is my money. I am the one in control.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies is correct. Besides, since when does being customer mean you have to be logical...

Bobj

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news about Shields! Park is really picking up, anyone else have a difficult time finding parking around there?

Hockey_player

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are misunderstanding me. It is clearly the consumer's choice where to spend money, and to withhold their patronage of places that fall short of expectations. Rather, I was addressing someone's comment that they wouldn't eat there simply because some previous poster complained about not delivering to poor, maligned Detroit.

It's one thing for someone to make choices based on their personal experience, it's another for people to jump on some boycott bandwagon for reasons of paranoid, perceived slights of others.

(Message edited by hockey_player on January 31, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 3545
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great that Shield's is moving into the Kales Building!

I remember back in the early 1990's going to a really cool restaurant called "On Stage". I can't remember which of the buildings along Adams on West GCP it was, perhaps the Fine Arts Building...

But anyway, it was a fun place where you actually were seated in "stage prop" areas. One area was a French Bistro overlooking a faux Eifel Tower. Another area of the restaurant was like sitting in a train dining car. On top of that train car area was a mezzanine balcony area that resembled the deck of an ocean liner. There were 5 themes in all in that restaurant.

It's too bad that that restaurant was way ahead of its' time back in the early 1990's. It would have made a cool entertainment themed restaurant today, had it not closed in the mid 1990's. At that time GCP was still an empty wasteland.

Bobj

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe with Shields moving in, something will happen on the other side of Park.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey player, you can bet that Como's will deliver farther than one and a half miles if the delivery address is north on Woodward rather than south. It's the south of 8 Mile limitation that is the problem. Detroiters face this issue all the time from suburban carry outs and other kinds of service providers. It's a lousy practice. Detroiters shouldn't patronize such businesses.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clarify. We were in Palmer Woods right on Woodward. We were literally maybe 1 1/4 miles from Comos. What bothered my friend was their basic veiled attitude of NEVER DETROIT. Personally I will never go there again. Others can do as they please. We all felt it was race driven and anti-Detroit.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 703
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wise move for Shield's. ( praying for success! )

If they do well downtown, it would really help their franchising.

Shield's is my all time favorite pizza joint.

We would always order all smalls, just so we would have all corners!

Christos

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby! Didn't know you were on the forum! Your Gratiot/I-75/I-375 analogy for anatomy STILL kill me to this day, lol.

Speaking of poor delivery options, I'm pissed that I live withing a few miles of TWO Happy's Pizza's and neither will deliver to me :-(

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right in the heart of Illitchville. Boy, is he going to be pissed when everyone is there instead of eating inside CoPa or his new hockey arena.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. Pizza and a "Gratiot/I-75/I-375 analogy for anatomy." Does it have anything to do with peristalsis?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at the Shield's in Macomb Twp. once. It didn't seem very good to me. But, hey, I will support any new business opening in the city!

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox Sports Detroit. And what ever happend to All Star Cafe's

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox Sports Detroit. And what ever happend to All Star Cafe's

Gistok

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump... looks like some folks missed this (last weeks thread) and a new one was opened.... :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.