Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Chinese buffet recommendations ? How about wontons ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to frequent the Jumbo buffet on Maple Road in Troy near the corner of Stephenson. Since it closed last year, it has been difficult finding a replacement worth patronizing. Does anybody have a good candidate ?

Another question is for wonton soup recommendations. Please share your favorite spot for great wontons. I know many of you cross the border to Windsor for these ..... would appreciate Metro Detroit ideas first and foremost. Thanks.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cannot vouch for its cuisine, but there's a new (less than two months old) "Chinese" buffet (noon & evening) restaurant in the 76xx block of Dix in SW Detroit (formerly El Cabrito) next to a pool hall. Maybe someone could serve as its "official" DY food taster.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2960
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chinese buffet recommendations? yes! Don't!

Jfa
Username: Jfa

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy Chinese buffets and have been to many in the area. The best, and the one I always go to, is the Super China Buffet at 8234 Telegraph in Taylor. It is large, has quite a variety, and is cheap during the day ($5.99 if I remember correctly) but still decent during the evenings and weekends ($8.99). I highly recommend it. Most of the others I have been to are small and do not have much variety.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its called "Apple Buffet", I know weird name. It's on 12 and Southfield (NE corner). I've heard a lot of people rave about it. I ate there a long time ago and it was pretty good, although I'm not a huge fan of chinese food period.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Stephenson/Maple location once, it was an experience. Seemed that the prized attraction were crab legs. Whenever the attendant refilled the bin with fresh legs, there was a stampede to get to those little undersized legs before the next guy. We thought it was an overall bad experience and never went back.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 426
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Panda Buffet on Orchard Lake Rd, in the back of the Staples (?)Office Supplies bldg. Best I've been to outside Chicago.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jet Buffet 16 n gratiot/ China 8 gratiot n Frazho

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll get the shits. Only buffet I'll eat is in Vegas.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jumbo Buffet's General Tso's Chicken was the best! Very few places I've been to since make it that good.

Another good place was Ping Ons on Van Dyke at 18&1/2 Mile Rd.

Taiwan Buffet at John R. south of 14 Mile Rd. is pretty good.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4398
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Taiwan Buffet over on John R is about the only buffet that actually seems to have a FEW (and I do mean a few) dim sum items there. Ordinarily I wouldn't touch ANY buffets, Chinese or otherwise but I'm told that the Taiwan isn't too bad.

It just seems that most buffets can only maintain their momentum for a few years and then the clientele tires of them or discovers better food elsewhere.

What is the longest standing buffet in the area anyway??

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sveden House. (Yuck!)

Darwinism

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha_asfan and Warrenite84: Yes, indeed. Can't agree more about the madness stampede for crab legs. The General Tso is no doubt a specialty for me as well. Kinda' surprised that they folded without any visible signs of trouble. The place was always doing good business despite being next to Mon Jin Lau.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a buffet.... but Carrie Lee's on M-59 & Williams Lk. Rd. is the best I've had.

Most Chinese buffet food that I've had in SE MI s*cks the wind. I avoid it. YMMV.

James

Bma
Username: Bma

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'ts not a buffet, but the best szechuan chinese food you will have, and it's been run by a family for years. It's Szechuan
Empire on 5 Mile in Livonia. If you want good food in a nice atmosphere-go there.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Taiwan Buffet. It's on John R between 13 and 14 Mile. In the same strip mall as the Target

Darwinism

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84: Ping On at Van Dyke and 18&1/2 Mile Rd may be gone. The parking lot is empty and the building is up for sale.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were fans of Taiwan Buffet (the only one we'd ever risk, but also the only one that had some "authentic" things that weren't labeled for the gringos - and really good kimchi) but the in-laws reported a month or two ago that they stopped going because the quality was getting spotty.

Anyone care to confirm/deny this? Hopefully they are full of it and it was just their poor tastebuds not used to something totally bland.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to taiwan 2 weeks ago and i must say it was average at best. Jet buffet and China 8 on Gratiot are the best ones. The wontons are insane.

For quality/uperscale chinese the place is dragon pheonix on hall and romeo plank. the best wontons/rangoons ever!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4403
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the thing about buffets in general. I think once you go to it a few times, the novelty of discovery wears off. There's no more mystery about the food you're getting- it's ALL laid out in front for you to see. I think that's what separates buffets from real restaurants is that when one goes to a real sit down establishment, there's a bigger payoff when the food gets there.

So I can't say if the quality at Taiwan Buffet has dropped any but it could just be your familiarity.

For real Chinese food, I still say the best is in Windsor.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I go to buffets, I visualize farm animals bellying up to the trough...
Windsor is the place, but with the weaker US dollar and the border hassles, Madison Hts might be a good idea.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortune Buffet

29583 Five Mile Road at Middlebelt Road, Livonia, (734) 524-8383

Sometimes I take the folks over there so they can get their feet wet in the world of sushi... and yes, it's actually pretty good! Plus they can always fall back on typical Chinese-American fair if the Japanese food doesn't suit them. Read some of the reviews. I just wish it was closer to downtown.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Szechuan Empire rules! Still my favorite in the Metro area. Also, General Tsao's Chicken at Dynersty in Ann Arbor is my absolute fave.

What about Dim Sum? I know the place in Windsor used to be the best, but is there anything this side of the river? Good Dim Sum is hard to find...

Darwinism

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taiwan Buffet mentioned above is gone. The same location on John R between 13 Mile and 14 Mile is now occupied by East Sea Buffet.

On a different note, that particular strip mall appears to be losing many tenants. Sports Authority has closed, Stone Computer moved, Walden's Bookstore closed, Mervyn's closed, Ryder Hobby is going out of business by the end of this month too.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those the shops in that strip mall on the east side of John R around (just south of?) 13 1/2 that has a number of Asian import and gift stores? The same mall where there is/was a mom-and-pop computer-parts shop? Just wondering because I shop there once in a while.

It seems that the Asians that own those stores there have been hard hit with insufficient business in Madison Heights the past few years, as they have been closing much of their various stores in that one particular strip mall.

The last time I was there, they only had open the store at the very south end of the strip mall in order not to have to pay the utilities on their other stores (maybe eight all told). They had combined some three or four stores into that one shop and weren't very optimistic about their continuing in business when I last talked to them. At least one of those closed shops was an Asian restaurant.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bf and i went out to dinner for Chinese this past Saturday. We like The Great Wall on Grand River and Drake in Farmington. We got over there and the place was gone. I know they've been there for at least 35 years. Anyone know what happened?

We ended up at Gourmet Garden at 12 and Middlebelt. It was ok. I'll miss Great Wall though. *sigh*

Chitaku

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sports Authority is not closed and I just ate at Taiwan Buffet 2 weeks ago

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sports Authority on John R closed shortly after Christmas .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.