Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » FYI: ABC world news tonight from detroit all next week « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happened to watch the 6:30 news for the first time in i don't know how long, and the show started with Ford's record loss (they lost $36 mil a day!)

..at the end of the segement they said that the show would be broadcast from detroit all next week, with a focus on the auto industry, i'd imagine there'll be a bit of a histroy lesson somewhere in there too.

I wonder where they'll be broadcasting from?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of last night, there was still a link on channel 7's website to sign up to participate. They are looking for audience members that are some how involved in the auto industry.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Media loves to make a big deal outta any bad news. They need as much drama as possible to boost ratings ya know...

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well at least they are taking 23 seconds to focus on domestic issues. From most of the headlines lately, you would think the only thing we care about is countries in the Middle East.

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm,,,,,,it is called world news for a reason. Local news handles the city ,state and national

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, isn't Michigan part of the world???

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

local news doesn't focus on squat

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 838
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walterwaves said, "...it is called world news for a reason. Local news handles the city ,state and national."

Huh? Have you ever even watched ABC World News? Its focus is national and international! The only national coverage local stations provide is generally condensed footage from the parent network, and the local angle.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this will be a plus. Report the bad but focus on the good.

Face it, to most of America, they think Detroit is hell-on-earth and could honestly not care less about what happens to the city, the residents, the jobs, and the companies that call metro Detroit home. Perhaps this will put things into perspective for a lot of people. They will understand how Detroit has changed, how competitive most of the lineups are, and to give them a shot. Focus on the drive. Focus on the quality. Focus on the human and historical connection.

What better commercial out there could there possibly be than 5 straight nights of World News Tonight focusing on Detroit? I'm sure it will help the automakers in ways more than you can measure. I'm sure it will also focus on the change in the city. The positive stuff. The Super Bowl. The Tigers. That Detroit isn't dead yet and it never will be. If even a few thousand people happen to see all this, it has gotta have a positive impact for everyone.

Either that or most of the country will simply change the channel and it won't make a damn bit of difference.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus on the Ford Focus

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could imagine that they would be doing it from downtown on the first night, with a lead in like, "Live from Detroit where the downtown has seen a beautiful rebirth and the suburbs around it are suffering..." Other nights they will prob. spend a night in Dearborn, maybe a night in Auburn Hills, who knows, but I'll be watching...

Wash_man

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget, tonight is the night.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time is it showing?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6:30

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6:30 on channel 7 tonight

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am skeptical that they will report on the CoD rebirth. my guess is all auto doom and gloom.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is being broadcast tonight from the Rouge plant

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just said they were going to also have some kind of town hall meeting with Charles Gibson tonight at 8PM regarding the auto industry.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there is a town hall meeting taking place at the RenCen, but I believe these are two seperate events

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume this town hall meeting is for local broadcast only?

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The town hall meeting is local only, and will be held in the WXYZ studio.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlie gibson wiggled the handle on the door I use to walk out of to go to the can every day!!!

Jimaz

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the consensus? Did ABC News do Detroit a service or a disservice? Do they do this (focus on one particular city/industry) often? Why would they do this? Why now?

To me it looked like they recognized Detroit's value to the United States' economy and were trying to draw focus to it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the newscast or the town hall meeting?

Isn't the town hall meeting pretty useless if it's only broadcast locally? Or is this just for the education of Charlie Gibson and maybe a few of his ABC colleagues?

Noticed no one mentioned that automation and technology improvements have cut into the workforce, too...just that GM reduced cost by $2,000 per vehicle.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both.

To me this seems an unusual move by a national network. I wonder why? And why now?

Is this somehow related to the fact that the Big 3 were snubbed by the White House until just recently? What ever came of that meeting? This?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie Gibson's visit to Detroit was one of several he has been making to ABC affiliates in major cities in recent months since he became the World News Tonight anchor - he goes to Chicago next month.

During his visits, he meets & greets the station and newsroom managers and staff and also does the WNT from their city.

I think the WNT report was rather one-dimensional and predictable, but not overly done.

IMHO, the locally-broadcast Town Hall was a waste of time. Most of the "guests" were there to posture, only David Cole made some good points.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, then maybe this was not an unusual move by a national network. The town hall guests seemed sleepy.

Wash_man

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am guessing that some clips of the town hall could be used in future national ABC productions. My peeve is that everyone always focuses on the Big three and ignores their suppliers. Suppliers are going bankrupt at a furious pace. It is not uncommon for OEM's to void all purchase orders, then issue new ones at 3-5% less. Take it or leave is their response. That's one of their cost cutting methods.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that Charles told Detroiters anything that we didn't already know, but he did point out some interesting facts to the general viewers of the ABC News program such as the fact that GM has more vehicles that get over 30 MPG than do Honda or Toyota.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From watching the Town Hall Meeting last night, I have to agree that David Cole made points. But it also interesting when I Canadian Auto Workers guy pointed out that health care is not then only problem, since Canada is having auto troubles and has national health care. He brought the focus back on fair trade with other countries. I also loved when Charles pointed out GM has more vehicles that get over 30 MPG than Honda or Toyota. It comes back down to perception, which is a huge point I felt Charles tried to make in the end. I had to get a chuckle when Charles was with Rick Wagoner at the Chevy design studio and asked to to try the door and it was locked. Then pointed out that you can't get in, but I can.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Peter Jennings doing a WNT broadcast from Detroit a couple years ago in a parking structure downtown... Wasn't that auto related too? Or was that when Bush was in town?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHarles is right, it is about perception.

The auto companies have no clue about how to advertise. Their ads actually hurt rather then help their image. It makes me sick.

When you make adds that highlight the low cost of a vehicle, and basically give it a straight shot and some slow turn angles on it, guess what people are going to think its a c a r. A cheap, going to fall apart, American car.

If you give it the image of a finely tuned machine racing through a forest, then people may start to think the U.S. cars are well engineered.
But instead they go to the lowest common denomonater by selling a car on its sticker price and now warranty, there by feeding the same picture of unreliability and blandness.

WHen people drop 20k, 30k on a car, they don't want some plain looking thing sitting there on their tv. They want an incredible machine, so at least give the image to them.

The worst example of this is the add for the new Dodge Nitro where it gives a jump to another car and blows it into the sky. The other car is a Dodge Shadow! They use an OLD CAR OF THEIR BRAND AND SHOW HOW CRAPPY IT IS!

Unbelieveable, the kinds of idiots in the add/marketing world for the Big 3.

Seth
Username: Seth

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you missed it, you can watch the Town Hall Meeting show here: http://web.wxyz.com/automotive townhall/

Gibson is still in town and will do the World News broadcast from here again tonight.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8107
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas,

You're simply seeing the breakdown from IMproper feedback from tainted focus groups.

My ex-girlfriend's friend in LA owns and operates one of those 'market-research' firms...far as I know it is big and important, but that matters little to me...when I asked her the methodology over dinner one night I was STUNNED to see the inherent bias in her procedures.

It is not science, and they end up telling their clients what they want to hear, NOT what the populace is really thinking. When I pressed her on that, she reluctantly admitted...but followed that the money was GREAT!

(ALL of my ex's friends in LA were well-connected and wealthy...she had daily access to Lodwrick Cook and Michael Milken...I learned quite a bit of the inner workings of corporate capitalism through pillowtalk.)

So Madison Avenue's genii continue blinded from reality...and our corporations continue to produce stuff that doesn't apply. IF they happen to score, it is usually too late.

Feedback loops are a science unto themselves...when they are applied TOO heavily, it is much worse than when they are not applied at all. Errors get compounded, but because of mere human nature, nobody is brave enough to stand up and complain.

After that dinner, this woman would not be in the same room with me. I was fine with that.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed in the opening shot from up above that the christmas tree was lit on the side of the BCBS building...no point to make here, just strange that they would use file footage.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man that report was kind of heartbreaking. I feel for all of the people that work for the big 3

"The big 3 killed my baby"

Scs100

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding. Now, will Bush and the rest of the country care? Bush no, people maybe?

Jerome81

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he now done in Detroit? Will they be continuing the "Running on Empty" story for the rest of the week, even in CG is no longer in town?

Scs100

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the top. In Detroit all next week.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C. Gib is a huge Tigers Fan

Jerome81

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he is any longer broadcasting from Detroit. Tuesday was last day.

Since I can't see the news for another hour and a half, and it is just wrapping up in the D, are they still in town and did they still continue the "running on empty" segment?

Wash_man

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. He's back in NYC.

Scs100

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah. Thanks Wash Man

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.