Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Michigan Sports Hall of Fame « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone out there know or have heard of any updates on the development of the hall of fame in the First National Bank building at Campus Martius. When I was downtown for the Super Bowl last year I went with a friend into their space they had just acquired on like the second floor. Great location with those tall windows overlooking the park. I just haven't heard how it is going and it has been about 11 months since I was there.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.athleticachievement .org/mshof/misc_pages/new_home .html

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of doing this but are they planning on putting up all the plaques that adorn the halls of cobo? Id love to see them take over a building like the Metropolitan. A museum would be the perfect use for that building considering its location and design arent ideal for office or residential these days. Plus its relatively close to FF and CoPa and visitors could use the Opera House Garage which is a few feet from the building. The idea isnt too "out there", but I dont know what kind of money they are thinking about investing in the HoF.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hall To Create Temporary Exhibit for Winter Blast;
Includes Vision of Future

The Michigan Sports Hall of Fame today announced that a temporary exhibit will be created on the second floor of the First National Building in Downtown Detroit during the Winter Blast schedule of activities. The First National Building is ideally located on Woodward Avenue overlooking the Winter Blast layout and Campus Martius. This event is sponsored by the owner of the First National, Penobscot and Cadillac Towers buildings, GS Equities, LLC.

Dubbed the "Winter Warm-Up", the display will feature and exciting array of Super Bowl artifacts, plaques, colored murals, graphics and sport memorabilia. In addition, a display will feature the vision and future plans for the permanent Hall of Fame development.

The exhibit will also offer complimentary hot chocolate and coffee, other concessions, audio-visual displays and an opportunity to share in the vivid sports history preserved and exemplified by the Hall of Fame. There is no charge for the exhibit, but donations will be accepted.

"We hope visitors to the Winter Blast will take the time to warm-up and visit our exciting vision of the future," said Hall Chairman Roger Faulkner. "We have worked diligently to locate a potential location for our permanent home, and we feel the First National Building is a terrific venue."
"Our display will only offer a glimpse of our future plans, but will be fascinating, interesting and fun," added Executive Director Jim Stark. "We appreciate the support and vision of the First National owner, GS Equities.""

They have the dates wrong on the side though. This is not part of the winter blast :-)

http://www.athleticachievement .org/mshof/misc_pages/winter_b last.html

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, when I went into that space last year, even without any exhibits installed, I fell in love with that location. Probably one of the best locations in downtown for this sort of institution. Sure you could argue to make the hall of fame more of a museum, but this location has HUGE windows that overlook one of the best public spaces in the world. I can't wait to see the interactions between the space when you are on its interior and the park outside and below.

P.S. That rendering on http://www.athleticachievement .org/mshof/misc_pages/new_home .html really looks nothing like the First National building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.