Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New Coffee Shop @ Compuware « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janet’s Java, a locally based purveyor of coffees, smoothies and pastries.

Expected to open January 30 at 6:30 a.m., Janet’s Java will operate Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Janet’s will also be open 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays and for special events like the upcoming Winter Blast.

Janet’s Java will serve, well, java, along with the usual panoply of depressed college poet coffee options like lattes, espresso drinks and more. Additionally, Janet’s will offer smoothies, donuts, muffins, cookies and breads.

Janet’s Java expects to offer wireless Internet access in the near future.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7372
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What will the shop be called?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaners.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will there be Java? What about smoothies?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

closing at 6pm all weekdays, located in the Compuware building...with depressed college poet coffee.

...right

seems cool though...local coffeeshops always great

(Message edited by apbest on January 25, 2007)

Dang
Username: Dang

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. Replacing "The Bland" with something probably equally undesirable.

Why no Starbucks on the East side of Woodward? At least their coffee tastes good.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it possible to have a coffee shop open past 9pm in this town? (9pm is the latest closing time of any shop in the city limits... (Amsterdam Espresso on forrest and second - the best coffee shop in the city in my opinion)

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 936
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How late is the new Starbucks on Woodward open until? It seems later, and they are open fairly late on Sundays.....

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, just because Starbucks has brainwashed the world, doesn't mean all other coffee houses are bland. It's not even open yet, give it a chance! And even if it does turn out to be not as appealing as an overly polished, overly priced, and overly pretentious, coffee chain that are a dime a dozen, I am still glad to see that a local entity is taking over that spot in Compuware.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks on woodward is open till 11 or 12
Beans n Bytes is open till like 11is htoo

we need at 24hr coffee place

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine visiting from out of town saw the Starbucks sign on the side of the building near greektown, at Randolph and Monroe. She said that sounded good and she wanted some...needless to say she was quite confused when we had to drive 2 miles up Woodward to get there. lol

I'm becoming very serious in thinking about looking into opening a beaners in downtown detroit. If I found a couple of investors I would make a serious push for it.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on January 25, 2007)

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we need at 24hr coffee place"

We need a 24 hour Tim Hortons downtown..

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8013
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar,

I'd tell you where one was that's closer, but don't want to be seen promoting a national chain. heh.

Formerspringgardener,

Thanks for the heads-up...welcome, I've not seen you around, far as I remember.

IF you're in with these folks, let 'em know that more of us exist down here in the off-office hours than they might think...might be some enterprising individuals who can drum up some small-scale music/poetry/etcetera who want to find the right friendly venue in the CBD, if the owners want to work with us.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, yea I know there is one over in the financial district, but it's not quite as easy finding parking in that area at 8am.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We need a 24 hour Tim Hortons downtown.."

Actually, that might not be a bad idea. To my knowledge, there are not many donut shops downtown (please correct me if I am wrong) and Tim Hortons has about everything you need for a fast breakfast (except for the instant oatmeal).

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Tim Horton's has lousy, watered-down coffee.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8204
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One in the financial district, one in the Millender center, one in the Ren Cen, one on Jefferson near Belle Isle.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - I've been a lurker for a while but just started posting recently.

I don't know them I just work in the building and heard they were opening. I guess it never hurts to ask them about expanding their business horizons.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what coffee is Gannon guzzling when he ramps up an all night conspiracy-posting self-fertilizing mental masturbatory jag as recently witnessed on that non-detroit/paraguay thread??

color me curioso.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11175
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To my knowledge, there are not many donut shops downtown (please correct me if I am wrong)

Ask and you shall receive! This will help Detroit in it's struggle to regain that fattest city in the nation crown.

quote:

Dunkin’ Donuts, the nation’s largest doughnut chain, plans to add 60 stores in Metro Detroit during the next five years, doubling its presence in the region.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070124/BUSINES S06/70124040/1002/BUSINESS

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sixty new donut shops? Great news...that will increase the police presence we're all looking for.......

:-)

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, it's sad that Dunkin Dounuts sells the WORST donuts ever. Everytime I've had them they were stale had a "foreign" flavor.

Does anyone know about the coffee chain from the Middle-East that will soon make an entrance into the US market???

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 943
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apple Spice rules!

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar: Do you have an e-mail address to pass along ? I know a couple who is currently doing some due diligence into a coffee establishment.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw yeah, a TimmyHo's downtown would be great. Hell, even a decent independent place would be awesome. Not too keen on driving down to Melvindale when I want some Chocolate Honey Dipped donuts at 3am..

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the Penobscot building. (According to my mom).

Detroitstar

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

darwinism, chris at detroitstar.org

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Donuts is in the Penobscot Building. I was just there on Monday.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Café de Troit's coffee. That was the BEST coffee anywhere in the City/Metro area......

*sigh*

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8027
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto, Duo. No two ways about it, great java made with love is always the best way to start your day.

Detroitrulez,
quote:

what coffee is Gannon guzzling when he ramps up an all night conspiracy-posting self-fertilizing mental masturbatory jag as recently witnessed on that non-detroit/paraguay thread??

color me curioso.

Usually NONE after noon, but occasionally in the early afternoon if I feel an energy dip coming on and I can't powernap.

THEN, it is Rafal Spice Company's Free Trade Espresso beans freshly ground, then arranged in a tightly packed array so distilled-water steam can be blasted through the collected grounds to make a reasonably good cup o' espresso...usually sweetened with honey but lately I've been putting in a few ounces of Calder Dairy's powerful real chocolate milk.

NEXT experiment is to steam the milk, I'm on my way to my version of a latte...I think. Good recipes can take time, hell it took twenty years for me to improve my father's grilled cheese recipe.

Had to ask...didn't you?!

Cheers! (if only I had a coffee shop...)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.