Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Reclaiming old industrial areas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Thought this was a good article.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/ index.aspx?id=556266

Detroit could easily do something like this. Detroit has several factories and brownfields that could easily be converted into parks and technology areas. The article said they're doing a project in Dearborn. Why build new offices in the suburbs when there are plenty of sturty buildings left in the city.

It sounds a lot like what they're doing at tech town.

I think they're a cool group and I'm glad their helping out in Milwaukee's rebirth.

Enjoy!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big yawn!

Many brownfields in Detroit are EPA Superfund sites or close to it. But one nasty problem is fixing something and coming back the next day and seeing it totally destroyed by scrappers and vandals. That's the big yawn. With many of these hoodlums and savages still roving around, why would any sensible group even bother to spend their time, effort, and money to reclaim anything?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't something like this at the Packard Plant? Thats not in a bad neighborhood. Its close to Midtown and to downtown. Just work on buildings radiating out from downtown.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is trying, but there are a lot of these sites. Notice what is going on, and then have patience...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city defies anybody to do anything with the Packard plant. Stay tuned! You'll get answers, of sorts...

At Ground Zero (17th and Walnut), how many drug stores (Walgreen's, etc.) have full-time security guards on premises? Even Dearborn CVS stores have security. Are Milwaukee's drug stores and inner-city groceries manned full-time with security? That's the way things are in Detroit and some burbs.

Now how long do you think that unattended property in Detroit could last without its being stolen/vandalized? Just going to work could get your place broken into during the day. These are just a few reasons not to invest in Detroit.

If you have a one-shift business, you need some security in order to have your business intact when away for those ten to fifteen hours plus the weekends. Get the idea by now???

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI Milwaukee, the neighborhoods around the Packard plant are about as blighted as it gets in Detroit.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packard was just an example. Any factory or old building would work.

"Get the idea by now???"

I understand crime is a problem in Detroit. So all development should just stop? Should we give up all hope in the city?

I think developers downtown and in midtown would disagree. Things are getting better and as redevelopment grows this plan could work for Detroit. Things are getting better, maybe not at the rate that satisfies you, but things are none the less getting better.

Charlottepaul explained it best. I'll be happy with what is happening and just remember what it used to be.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point of the article is that Milwaukee is trying new things. Its thinking outside of the box and seeking new people to invest in the city. We have people who care about the city and aren't stuck on petty matters. An open mind has helped Milwaukee out a lot.

The point is that Detroit should keep an open mind. The city is broke or close to it, let architecture students, firms, or landscape designers practice in Detroit.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, what you fail to understand is Detroit is full of these sites. They were humming when the city had a population of 1.8 million. Now many are empty as well as the neighborhoods. We are not short of examples; however the supply far exceeds the demand. One bright spot however is that these conversions seem to be happening at a faster rate than they used to; and they are moving away from 'safe' locations; this indicates that the movement is growing.

In addition you mention Dearborn. The plant in Dearborn is brand new and sits on the site of an older plant. It is NOT a conversion.

Now there are lots of bright spots among Detroit's older industrial buildings. Many of them are still in use. Some are even still being used for their original purpose, while others are converted for loft apartments or offices.

There are countless numbers of these around ranging from high end places like Stroh's Riverplace to Flea Markets.

This is not a new concept in Detroit. Perhaps you don't know it as well as you pontificate you do?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 656
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Perhaps you don't know it as well as you pontificate you do?"

I don't know Detroit very well at all. I'm just interested in the city and I thought this might apply to Detroit since Milwaukee and Detroit are both big old industrial cities. The article was about my city but could easily be used when talking about Detroit.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Detroit has done relatively well with vacant sites and what not. We have seen everything from adaptive reuse to Tyree Guyton's installations to vacant land being converted back to farming land. All of these are quite different and they have all been done in Detroit. There are certainly plenty more sites of all sorts in Detroit and we will certainly continue to see very unique things being done with all of them as Detroiters will undoubtedly keep applying themselves.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit and Milwaukee are both Rust Belt cities. However, the degree of property crime in Detroit is orders of magnitude higher. The reported crime rate doesn't come close to being an actual barometer of property crime because the police rarely come when called and then it's just perfunctory.

So, property crimes rarely get reported unless insurance is involved and many do not carry insurance. I could go on and on, but if you're even partially awake and alert you should have picked this up by yourself after all the reading and posting of DY threads you do.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, no need to get off on an unnecessary tangent, esp. if you simply want to be a downer. Go to www.DetroitNO!.com and post your thoughts there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.