Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Reinventing Motown - Article in Travel+Leisure Magazine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 48202

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Council member Martha Reeves in Travel+Leisure Magazine:

Reinventing Motown

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i find it interesting that she was rocking the mink coat despite having "trouble paying her bills."

another council winner!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta love it when the celebs get involved in development. Seems like there are quite a few jumping on the Detroit band wagon. I guess that this would mean the upswing is for real.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great article.At 1st it read like some bullshit kiss up tripe but as it progressed it got better.

Martha Reeves is an asshole.She is not a nice person. She can't sing anymore either.I have knwn a few musicinas that have played in her band and no one ever says anyting nice about her.

Also real classy of the Reeves entourage to eat pizza and not offer any to the author.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8188
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reeves comes off as a joke in her role as city council. It seems that she makes it pretty clear she is there for a paycheck.

That's what we get when so many citizens vote on name recognition alone.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she's awful, but better her than alonzo "jail bait" bates... at least detroit didn't elect a CRIMINAL.. oh, wait... we elected many criminals... whoops...

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of us spend more than we can afford. Maybe the mink coat is the reason why she's having trouble paying her bills.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8190
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly the type of person we want being on a council that reviews the citys finances and expenditures.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup :-)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea city council had such a high salary. And she admits that she ran for public office mainly for the public's money.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least she's honest about it...

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone-my first post here.
I tend to think that Reeves does care about the city, and I think she made a valid point when the Detroit News had the cover story on the vacant lots she owns...at least she's paying taxes on them, whereas most abandoned lots are city-owned and doing nothing to help city finances. And she doesn't seem inclined to political grandstanding-i.e. Barbara Rose-Collins vs. L. Brooks Patterson during the zoo debate. -Dustin B.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In her world of music, the definition of a coda is: 1. Music. a more or less independent passage, at the end of a composition, introduced to bring it to a satisfactory close.

Somehow, this fits:

quote:

In the future, I think it would be better if I did not try to meet the musical idols of my adolescence, even second-tier ones (they weren’t called the Supremes for nothing). Reeves’s first hit was "Come and Get These Memories." Now I understand.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.