Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » And you thought Detroit race relations were bad... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you imagine what would happen if this was going on here? God forbid if L. Brooks types and the Detroit haters tried this here. What would happen to the D. then? I think us Detroiters need to go out of our way to be nice to our Wayne Co. brethren. :-)

Push to split Atlanta’s Fulton County draws cries of racism
By DOUG GROSS
Associated Press Writer
ATLANTA (AP) — A potentially explosive dispute in the City Too Busy to Hate is taking shape over a proposal to break Fulton County in two and split off Atlanta’s predominantly white, affluent suburbs to the north from some of the metropolitan area’s poorest, black neighborhoods.
Legislation that would allow the suburbs to form their own county, to be called Milton County, was introduced by members of the Georgia Legislature’s Republican majority earlier this month.
Supporters say it is a quest for more responsive government in a county with a population greater than that of six states. Opponents say the measure is racially motivated and will pit white against black, rich against poor.
“If it gets to the floor, there will be blood on the walls,” warned state Sen. Vincent Fort, an Atlanta Democrat and member of the Legislative Black Caucus who bitterly opposes the plan. Fort added: “As much as you would like to think it’s not racial, it’s difficult to draw any other conclusion.”
The legislation calls for amending the Georgia Constitution to allow the return of Milton County, which succumbed to financial troubles during the Depression and was folded into Fulton County in 1932.
The former Milton County is now mostly white and Republican and one of the most affluent areas in the nation. Atlanta and its southern suburbs are mostly black, are controlled by Democrats and have neighborhoods with some of the highest poverty rates in America. (Buckhead, a fashionable Atlanta neighborhood of clubs, restaurants and mansions, would remain in Fulton County.)
“The only way to fix Fulton County is to dismantle Fulton County,” said state Rep. Jan Jones, the plan’s chief sponsor. “It’s too large, and certainly too dysfunctional, to truly be considered local government.”
Jones, a former marketing executive who lives in the Fulton suburb of Alpharetta, cited the county’s troubled library and public transit systems and a jail that was taken over by a federal judge because it was filthy and unsafe. He denied the move is racially motivated.
Don Petree, the 62-year-old owner of Don’s Hairstyling in Roswell, another northern Fulton suburb, said many of his customers “feel like they’re not being taken care of like they should be with the tax dollars they’re spending. I think there’s some truth to that.”
Milton County would have a population of about 300,000, instantly making it Georgia’s fifth-largest county.
Residents of north Fulton represent 29 percent of the county’s population of 915,000 but pay 42 percent of its property taxes, according to a local taxpayers group. A split would lead to the loss of $193 million in property taxes alone for Fulton County.
About 25 miles to the south in downtown Atlanta, the Rev. J. Allen Milner said he is afraid the tax revenue loss would have a devastating effect on those who need government help the most.
“If you take that money out of their coffers, human services will suffer greatly,” said Milner, a black man who runs a homeless mission and is pastor of the Chapel of Christian Love Church.
Critics of a split also worry about the future of Grady Memorial Hospital and the Atlanta area’s MARTA commuter-rail system — both of which have contracts with the county.
In addition, some warn that a breakup of Fulton could harm Atlanta’s international reputation as a progressive city and hurt its appeal as a business, entertainment and convention destination.
While other Southern cities erupted in violence a generation ago, Atlanta came through the civil rights movement with little strife, earning the nickname The City Too Busy to Hate. It is now home to one of the nation’s largest black middle-class communities.
“This would send a clear messages to companies around the country that Atlanta may not be as progressive as it would like people to think,” Fort said.
The measure would require the support of two-thirds of both the House and Senate. Then it would have to put to a statewide vote. Also, residents of what would become Milton County would have to endorse the plan.
While Republicans have majorities in both chambers, they would need to win over three Democrats in the Senate and 14 in the House to get it passed.
The legislation has support from some of the Legislature’s key leaders. Republican House Speaker Glenn Richardson has referred to his top lieutenant, Rep. Mark Burkhalter, as “the member from Milton County.”

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit that I am very liberal, so I have a different viewpoint on things than conservatives. I never understand why so many middle to affluent people think they should personally get the full value of their tax dollars back in services. Don't they realize that poorer people cannot be serviced with taxes raised only from poorer people? And in a capitalist society where there are always relatively impoverished people, it's an unreasonable expectation, in my opinion. Plus, the whole "we're too big" argument is laughable...whoa 915,000 people is way to cumbersome! Come on.

In terms of Detroit, I don't think this would happen to Detroit. I believe counties in the state are constitutionally prohibited from splitting. The Fulton County case is technically a split, but it would restore a county that was previously in existence. I doubt this would have come up if there had not been a separate county previously.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2885
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG @ this news! This is seriously a sign of racism. I agree with Zug, Wayne County will not split no matter how much the people loathe Detroit. There is too much history in this region to allow such to happen. If Grosse Pointers don't mind being Wayne County residents, neither should the more affluent residents of Fulton County!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly Zug, after all there have been overtures in the past to split western Wayne County from Detroit. And part of that proposal was to merger the Grosse Pointes with Macomb County so that Detroit/Highland Park and Hamtramck would be a county unto itself.

Last saw this proposal come up in the 1980's.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall those discussions, Gistok. My suggestion if it had happened was for Detroit/HP/Hamtramck to be absorbed by Essex County........ :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS Kwame and Brooks are good friends. The media is good at encouraging continued racial divides. It gives them ratings if they can cover a 'racial' issue.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what you all are talking about. Racism doesn't exist in America. At least that's what I keep hearing from other people from their other posts...IDIOTS!

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Atlanta is already like 10 different counties. They don't need more, just merge them into super county. Combine the services and the taxes.

Detroit should be proud of the county it is in.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds more like selfish people who don't want to help poor folk than racist people who can't stand the idea of sharing a county with black folk. I mean, which do you think would help this problem more, racial sensitivity training, or education about the rigors of poverty? I say the latter.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't know what you all are talking about. Racism doesn't exist in America. At least that's what I keep hearing from other people from their other posts...IDIOTS!

bratt, drop the sarcasm. say what's on your mind. if you have something to say...just say it!

it seems to me that you readily accept racism as being an oppressive force against blacks in america...yet i don't see you recognizing that racism is also an oppressive force that blacks love to exert.

i was recently squashed on bidding for a dwsd contract that was clearly superior to the competition. after months of delays announcing the decision, a "minority" group got the bid. i'm sure it turned out to be a cozy arrangement, especially after the numerous postponements.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is too much history in this region to allow such to happen.

Like there isn't in Atlanta? But I didn't mean to imply this could happen here. Or that it should. Just saying it's unbelievable.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 833
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local government has no business redistributing income. If you want to redistribute income, which we do loads of already, it should be done at the federal level. When you try to redistribute income locally, all you do is force productive people to move away, which is what productive knowledge workers in Michigan would be well-advised to do.

Plus, I tire of this myth that the tax money is spent on the poor. Most of them money we pay in local taxes is consumed by government employees, and even retired government employees. They are not poor, and I can understand the anger of over-taxed homeowners at having 10, 15, 25 thousand dollars a year taken from their savings in the form of property taxes to hand over to some 9-5 local government worker or teachers and get little or nothing in return but crappy schools and crappy services.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the last couple of times i was in downtown atlanta, i got numerous "you are white" glares from passers-by.

it reminded me of the intimidation tactics i regularly experienced in detroit in the 80's and 90's.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The situation is that the bulk of the tax revenue which is generated by the northern portion of Fulton County is spent on the southern portion of the same county. There have been numerous cases of parks being built in the name of relatives of the Fulton County Commission families, an overabundance of social programs with little merit being implemented and general government abuse of funds. There are also many very wealthy residential developments now growing in the southern half of this county. With respect to property taxes, the City of Atlanta School system is a JOKE in that it has the highest percentage of students who do not graduate while spending an average of around $14,000 per student compared to the remaining counties who spend between $7,000 - $9,000 per student with better results. Just looks like achievers in this system simply want their hard earned money that's forceably taken away by the government to at least provide them some benefit instead of being re-allocated to other pet projects.

Fmrdtwn
Username: Fmrdtwn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit does have bad relations.

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I read and reread this several times. I was a resident of Fulton County (for about two years) in the late 90's. I had several thoughts on this initially, but here are my main thoughts:
YES, this is primarily racist. We are talking about the SOUTH here though, and the Civil War is not over for some people- just on hold for now. This has already happened here in Detroit however, 8 mile makes a natural city and county border.
L Brooks and Company have already made it happen for this area, and they continue to hold this region back. Overall, I think it's a bad idea for ATL, but not surprising though. The people dividing our country are constantly trying to drive wedges between groups, fostering racism fosters division. No one wins when we are divided. The rich half (Northern Fulton) would lose the Airport and downtown with its skyscrapers and major banking centers. The poor south half would lose its tax base and all that goes with it. I say, fight it - but if it happens figure out a way to raise county taxes (Lots of wealth in Buckhead) and make
"Milton County" pay for access to the Airport and downtown. Bet those threats alone would stall it.
P.S., I'm new to the forum, Please be nice!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good damn post Rod..

Now prepare to be called a lazy person who has an entitlement mentality, who lives only to see wealth redistributed...

Oh and that you support the Black Holocaust. Just a warning....:-)

But keep telling the truth the way it is and We will be just fine...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice to a newbie?? you've got to be kidding!

:-)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And all this time I thought Gwinnett County was the place to be in suburban Atlanta ...

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New thread idea?
Toll booth on I-75 at 8 Mile.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A potentially explosive dispute in the City Too Busy to Hate is taking shape over a proposal to break Fulton County in two and split off Atlanta’s predominantly white, affluent suburbs to the north from some of the metropolitan area’s poorest, black neighborhoods.

quote:

Fort added: "As much as you would like to think it’s not racial, it’s difficult to draw any other conclusion."

Sometimes, I'd just like for people to come right out and say how they're trying to discriminate. Is it on the grounds of poor versus rich or black versus white? Make up your minds already. Being white does not cause oneself to be rich nor does being rich cause oneself to be white.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look around Sticks
far too often white=rich and black=poor

How 'predominantly white' are the affluent suburbs to the north? What are the attitudes displayed on other issues? Atlanta is no stranger to racial tension.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole deal smells fishy to me. Granted the rich want to do what's in their best interest, but passing something like this would put 'hot Lanta' back a few decades in terms of race relations.

I don't think it will pass.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'the last couple of times i was in downtown atlanta, i got numerous "you are white" glares from passers-by.'

So Carl, what does a "you are white" glare look like. I have to learn that one.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of being called a racist I'd like to throw out a comment for consideration.

It has been my experience that much of what may come across as racism is really a form of elitism. Makes little difference what color or national origin you are. Take a look at the gated communities within the prosperous suburbs. These gates have less to do with security and a lot to do with only the well to do are welcome. They often even have back entrances for the "help" to come and go from. I would venture to say you will find many well to do African Americans living in these communities. Here in the South we have less black only areas, a fact that took me by surprise when I moved here. Most subdivisions have African Americans living side by side with white folks, from the poorest to the richest neighborhoods.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.