Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Good News! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salvation Army receives grant to build $98 million community center

Kim Kozlowski / The Detroit News

Advertisement

Get free headlines by e-mail
NEW! Get text alerts on your cell phone
Related Articles and Links

Ways to give and renderings for the proposed Kroc Center in Detroit

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
DETROIT -- The local Salvation Army announced today it has received a $50 million challenge grant to build one of the region's largest community centers in one of the city's most impoverished neighborhoods -- the grounds of Chandler Park on the east side.

Rest of story:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070123/U PDATE/701230430

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY - any good news is welcome right now

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm... Obviously good news for the city and neighborhood, BUT why on the GROUNDS of Chandler Park?

It would be better to have the park left as a park and build this somewhere close by. It's not as if there is a shortage of available land over near Mack & Conner.

More Kwame land give-away?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably put it in Chandler because of the NFL Youth Center (or whatever it's called) is being built on the other side of town.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the renderings from a thread a while ago, this will not be on the grounds of Chandler Park. It will be on the grounds of the Parkside Projects that were torn down.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They probably put it in Chandler because of the NFL Youth Center (or whatever it's called) is being built on the other side of town."

Huh? NFL Youth Center is a Boys and Girls Club facility. I don't see the relationship. This only cost a couple of million not $98!

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on January 23, 2007)

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I just looked at the rendering and it's taking the basketball court and putting baseball and soccer fields, along with a track. Fair trade..

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news for a post header is not such a good idea, I posted this article thinking that it was not posted yet

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5054
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is old news.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 446
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this does not take away from Samaritan Center right there on Conner. I know the executive director of Holy Cross Children's Services, which runs Samaritan and they are doing spectacular things with the east side of Detroit.

I hope this does not increase competition, but instead just spreads the services available to a very needy area.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm..barker rinker really didn't do a spectacular job of designing the center as a cohesive structure. too many ideas and concepts of which none have been carried out. i mean come on; who's loving that covered drop-off area?
you'd think with such a large budget the building could actually look like it wasn't designed by a high school freshman who just learned CAD and VIZ.

yes, it is a fantastic project, but this already looks dated. detroit needs lasting architecture if it's going to make any investment at all.

scoff

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my reference renderings

http://info.detnews.com/pix/20 07/PDF/012307kroccenter.pdf

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I last spoke with members of the Samaritan Center in 2006, they seemed quite excited about the prospect of this center going up nearby.

I can't help but think this is not what the community really needs. How great would a $98 million investment in business creation or housing development be for the Eastside, instead of more recreational and community space?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5442
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a big help for the poor and desolate.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I had this idea on the way home from work today:

Instead of another community center, let's forgo the fundraising and give $100,000 to 500 Detroit residents. They will have to meet income requirements and compete for it - we will give it to the 500 Detroiters who seem most able to make good of it, but who are poor. They will have to LIVE in the Warren Connor neighborhood for at least ten years.

What do you all say?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MISTITLED THREAD ALERT:

"The local Salvation Army announced today it has received a $50 million grant to build one of the region's largest community centers...The Salvation Army MUST NOW RAISE $48 million before it can begin building the center..."

In all of your alls excitement I think that you missed an important phrase!

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on the graphic, it appears to be positioned on the grounds of the now defunct Chandler Golf Course. When the course was abandoned, it just reverted back to the city and became part of Chandler Park.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the course is still open

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chandler Golf Course is still in operation, although it may not be open for the time being, as its covered in snow at present. The city still owns it, they just have a private company operating it to save on costs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.