Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Auto HQ by the numbers: « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would anyone know the employee numbers at both the Ford and Chrysler HQ’s? Just curious, as I have always wondered what kind of impact a Ford tower or Chrysler tower would have downtown. Could you imagine?........wishful thinking, but I always hoped Ford or Chrysler would attempt to streamline operations by centralizing jobs back to Michigan and then build new offices for those people downtown…..Oh well, missed opportunity.

What about other auto companies like Lear, Delphi ect.....does anyone know the numbers at their HQ's?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the benefit to be gained for any of them moving? They're all scaled-down versions of their former selves and not rolling in cash. As long as their offices have good communication, they could operate anywhere globally--even in a lunar colony.

Besides, Automation Alley headquartered in Oakland County (Troy) has a greater influence on business locally already than any of its members moving to downtown Detroit for no good reasons.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was not what I was asking; I want to know the numbers......and was not serious about them moving, I was just saying hypothetically what the impact of more people being in downtown.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess this sort of piggy backs on the discussion if Detroit would "rival" chicago if all those buildings were downtown instead of the burbs.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 830
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lear just built a new HQ on Telegraph and 8 Mile. They ain't moving anywhere soon. Ford will want to stay in Dearborn as that is where there engineering is, their founder's home, as well as the museum that bears his name.

I can't see Chrysler leaving the Lee Iaccoa's Palace of Auburn Hills without a major growth spurt. All facets of the business are operated out of the building from a factory to test model change over, too engineering, to adminstration.

We should be more focused upon getting the Chinese and Korean car makers downtown. It would make sense to strike while the iron is hot.

However, we should also try to diversify our economy more. We should no longer be so concerned about the auto industry expansion. We should look for other opportunities.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably a thousand employees and the Ford HQ and two thousand at the Chrysler HQ. Just a rough guess.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont see why Ford can't stop using one of their tall buildings and move downtown. Sell that building and move the headquarters too the surface lot bounded by Randolph, E.Lafayette, Brush, and E.Fort Street. Half of the lot could be used as a parking garage for County Employees and the other half for the Ford Headquarters. Comparing the size of that site to the size of one of their buildings now, we could have a 40 story building built.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah why wouldnt Ford want to dump a perfectly good building to build a 40+ skyscraper downtown? I mean its common sense. I hope the sarcasm is picked up there. Then again with the way they run their car company and football team who knows what they are thinking.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sell that building and move the headquarters too the surface lot bounded by Randolph, E.Lafayette, Brush, and E.Fort Street."

I'm sure you're joking, but seriously... that surface parking lot is an absolute gold mine for the owners. I would be surprised to ever see a building rise on that spot.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10,000 at Chrysler HQ. This is for the Tech Center and the Admin Tower.

I don't know about Ford HQ building. Lot smaller. Engineering is spread out more. Chrysler is almost all under one roof.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The auto companies were never headquarted downtown, not even during the halcyon days. Why would they want to now? GM took over the re-cen because it was a good opportunity, a bargain.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not saying they are going to move, or should move, I was just wondering what the numbers were in a hypothetical sense similar to the "what Detroit would be like if these buildings were downtown" thread.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be cool to have all skyscappers downtown not just for GM but for Ford and the Japanese and EU carmarkes. Sort of an Embassy Row of automotive headquarters. It might not make sense logistically.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.