Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lake Township « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3900
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never really paid attention to the existence of Lake Township. Why does it exist in the first place? According to Wiki there are 40 households and under 100 people residing there. What streets are in Lake township?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ake_Township,_Macomb_County,_M ichigan

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 820
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The township exists because Grosse Pointe Shores exists. You cannot have a village without a township.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5050
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a village needs a township to exist since a village doesn't have the civic responsibilities of an incorporated city. In this unique case, the village completely encompasses the two remaining parts of Lake and Grosse Pointe Townships, so the village government serves as the government for the township, as well, I'd think.

To make it more simple, Grosse Pointe Shores is coterminous with the remaining parts of Lake and Grosse Pointe Townships.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 825
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going to make it simple don't use such complicated words! coterminous = covers :-)

I can see lots of folks saying "coterminous?!?!"

I am impressed by the vocabulary though, as would my sixth grade teacher, Sister Mary Rulerhands.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can find it right here:
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mapmichigan/map.asp?action=ze&xmin=756637&ymin=215981&xmax=757435&ymax=216826&zel=Lake+Township%2C+Macomb+County#

Lake Township

Ro_resident

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise your hand if you knew that Pontiac and Birmingham share a border.

Birmingham borders Pontiac

From Michigan CGI, too.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raising my hand but...that's an incorrect map there. I don't know how they got Birmingham out of that, it's actually now Pontiac land, east of Telegraph there. It was annexed in 2001 from Bloomfield Twp/Hills for the Bloomfield Park development. The state needs to update their maps!

Ro_resident

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown, you are right (as of now). However, up until 2006, the map above was correct.

Harbor Cos. pushed for Pontiac to have an election annex part of Bloomfield Township to develop Bloomfield Park.

Right before the election, Bloomfield Twp entered into an Act 425 agreement with Birmingham in an attempt to block the development. See page 5 of:
http://www.courtofappeals.miju d.net/documents/OPINIONS/FINAL /COA/20020906_C239211(63)_205O.239211.OPN.COA.PDF

Of course, everything ended up in court. While the situation was being litigated, the Act 425 transfer was considered valid, as it took place before the election.

As a resolution to the lawsuit(s), Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp, and Pontiac entered into a revenue sharing agreement. Birmingham's 425 agreement sunsetted in 2006. http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/e vents/NewsletterArchive/2003Wi nter.pdf

So I should have said "at one time Birmingham and Pontiac shared a border". I thought the 425 agreement went through 2008. My bad.

But that parcel certainly has a strange history.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ro, great info there. I just drove back in that area (Hood and Rotsel Rds) this afternoon to check it out. Deconstruction crews had been back there in the last 2 weeks so I was anxious to see the remains.

In your opinion, why did Bloomfield enter into the 425 agreement with Birmingham? My guess is that Birmingham was afraid of the development, that it would draw too many shoppers away from their downtown.

Another interesting township/city juxtapostion is Novi (city of) and Novi Twp. The township part is very small and is totally surrounded by the city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N ovi_Township%2C_Michigan
Anyway, sorry for the threadjack!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake township broke off from Erin Twp in the late 1800's im guessing. LAke Twp was then the present area of S.C.S. and Lake Twp. S.c.S became a village in 1925 and contained the borders it does today. In fact the large land area of S.c.S. made it the worlds largest village by land area. The remaining portion is still Lake Twp as s.c.s. did not incorporate it. I dont know why perhaps because of Fords Estate??? There is a G.p.s. park in lake twp i guess it is considered part of the twp and village.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a cemetary in southfield on 13 mile road which is still Southfield Twp.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A village needs a township but the village can contain all the land area of the township. Also, Lake Township is in Macomb County, whereas the Pointes are entirely in Wayne County.

What I've heard is that the little tiny unincorporated corner that remains of Lake Township today exists so Edsel and Eleanor Ford wouldn't have to pay city taxes in St. Clair Shores. Ford has a history of that; look at why the Highland Park and Rouge plants were built just outside Detroit.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5052
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott, that makes a lot of sense. Villages always have lower taxes than cities because of the reduced civic responsibilities of a village and township.

Lake Township/Grosse Pointe Shores function, in essence, as a tax haven.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3466
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The park is in St. Clair Shores. It is the Grosse Pointe Woods waterfront park. Its' entrance is directly east of Marter Rd. at Jefferson.

Over the last few years St. Clair Shores has been giving Grosse Pointe Woods a hard time about that park. I think it had something to do with taxes, but I can't remember exactly.

St. Clair Shores has 3 waterfront parks (2 of which are residents only, and the tiny 3rd one has no public parking, making it a neighborhood park).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.