Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Another potential local movie « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least our old cars can get work.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070119/ENT /70119023

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Menapace said moviemakers also might want delivery and beverage trucks or moving vans to hide things the director doesn't want filmed."

So, the movie will be filmed in Flint and Detroit...dare I ask what it is they want to possibly *hide*? (Even though I think I know the answer that question already.)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will want to hide things that don't fit into the decade. An example would be a flat TV screen that wasn't invented in the '70s. (Think Hockeytown for instance)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only some location shots are being filmed here - most is being filmed in Minneapolis; there was a story about it a while back in the Flint Journal. While I'd rather see it all filmed here, but at least it will have a few shots to place it in the right location, and maybe the director In any case, it's nice to see things like this happen. hopefully it will have at least a neutral, or even better, a positive view of the area.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 919
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having your old car in a movie is not what it's cracked up to be. You play "hurry up and wait" all day, they might never use your car, and there have been many stories of art directors walking over to a private individual's car and spraying (misting) spray primer on all of the front chrome because "it's too shiny!" The check at the end of the day isn't that much. There is a company in Monroe that rents old cars for filming, that's his business and he's used to it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think that it will be difficult for them to shoot scenes in detroit and make it look like the 70s? I would imagine that would be rather difficult downtown. What areas of detroit look as though they are still stuck in the 70s?

56packman

Post Number: 920
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown will never look like it did in the 70's--there were a lot more buildings, Hudsons was still open, and as long as they were still there the retail around them was still half-alive. You didn't have as much new construction, everything downtown in the 70's was built before the war with a few exceptions. Brush park was still a residential neighborhood, down on its luck, but still pretty much there. There are still areas in Detroit theat look the same, that's why they have a location scout.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman, you're assuming they will care about historical accuracy. In the making of many Hollywood films, the director really doesn't care about that at all. You see a lot of historical paradox situations in movies.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11158
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Packman, you're assuming they will care about historical accuracy.

Kind of like in one of the Diehard movie where Bruce Willis states that a kid pulled a Glock 7 out on him. You know, the ones with the ceramic barrel so you can pass through airport security.

The gun doesn't exist, no Glock has a ceramic barrel, and you couldn't pass one through airport security either, but that's Hollywood.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 821
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1971 Crowley's was still open as was Saks.

56packman

Post Number: 923
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some films are startling in their accuracy, many are not. One thing I notice is hair styles, especially in WWII era settings. Women had theses very labor-intensive hair-do's back then. The movie might invest in that kind of detail for a lead role, but then she goes out in public and all of the extras have just whatever kind of hairstyle is going on now (or when the film was shot).
It would be easier to get a 70's look in Detroit as opposed to Dallas, which has all of those 80's glass box buildings.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

post modern we call them

56packman

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I calls 'em ugly

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link for the article is dead. I would be interested in getting my old Country Squire into the movie if they'd take it.

Cambrian

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200770119023

Cambrian

Post Number: 530
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see, there is no way to get in touch with anyone to inquire about the types of cars they need. The article closes with a free press link to submit a pic, but that goes into a general folder for all topics related to old cars not the movie specifically. Why release the article if they don't actually want the cars? Just a cheap PR blurb to bring attention to the film?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Car owners can respond by e-mail to semiprocars@yahoo.com and should include the year and make of the car, a photo if possible and contact information.

from the flint journal version of the story

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.